Home
Would anyone here have Brother Bart's chili recipe. I had it on my old PC, and when it crashed it took everything with it. Tried searching it, no luck frown

Thanks,

Lynn
Bart�s Chili!

Here we go...This is simple....
1.5lb Chuck roast
32oz beef stock or broth....Broth is saltier...
4Tbsp Chili Powder
1Tbsp Garlic Powder
1Tbsp Onion Powder
1Tbsp Oregano
1Tsp black pepper
1 packet of Sazon Goya,Con Azafran(You can find this in most supermarkets)
1Tsp Cumin
1 medium onion,diced
1 8 oz.can tomato sauce
1 can Rotel Tomatoes,(Diced tomatoes with green chiles).

Method....
In a heavy soup pot or dutch oven...
Cut the Chuck roast into quarter inch cubes(this is important).
Cook until grey,not brown...Drain the meat and discard the grease and liquid. Set meat aside...
Cook diced onions with corn oil until soft.
Add beef stock.
Add Sazon packet.
Add tomato sauce.
Add Rotel.
Cook until boiling.
Taste for salt....Add salt while simmering until it's right...
At this point the mix should be orange.....
All Tbsp & Tsp should be heaping...
Add meat.
Add all dry ingredients EXCEPT Cumin.....
You might need to add water if it's too thick...
Simmer for an hour,covered,stirring every 10 minutes and taste it for salt...
Add cumin and simmer for 15 minutes...
Turn off the heat and let it set for a little bit....
Serve with sharp cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream...
Elkhunter,

Thank you, thank you smile smile You are a lifesaver !

Lynn
Bart's Chili is good. I have made it, and the recipe works well.

I do it a bit different though. Not being judgmental, but just offering an alternative.

Chili really does not need a recipe. The basics are the same, the difference is in the details.

Two pounds steak, diced
One 28 oz can diced tomatoes
One 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
One small can diced green chilies
One green bell pepper, diced
Three Jalapeno peppers, diced
One large onion, diced
4 or 5 cloves of garlic fine diced
Cumin, Chili Powder, salt, black pepper, Hot Paprika, Thyme
Olive oil

Saut� the onion, bell peppers and jalapenos in olive oil, set aside

Saut� the steak pieces in olive oil, season with salt, cumin, thyme and chili powder

Add back the saut�ed vegetables.

Add the diced canned tomatoes, diced garlic, and green chilies

Season to taste, and then simmer the chili for an hour.
Did that say 1/4" cubes??
small dice, quarter inch or around 3/8ths works fine. If I recall, 'small dice' technically means 1/4 inch by 1/4 by 1/4. Little cubes.

Heck, I am never 'technical' with cooking though. smile
Double the garlic powder...
Double the onion powder...
And use a 2 pound chuck roast...
That's my latest tweak....
Grub up... grin
and don't forget the cold beer in a bucket full of ice laugh
yes, to all counts!

nothing like good chili, even the real kind without beans. although i enjoy both kinds, somewhat equally.

i've even stooped so low as to mix a can of beans, a can of tomatoes with a lb of fried hamburger, and add a package of McCormicks chili seasoning, and been as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine.

but, admittedly some chili's are better than others, but they're all good.

the early plan was for chili to be a tasty, fulfilling & hearty meal at low cost. we've strayed a bit from the early days, but chili remains a mainstay.

I made a batch a little different the other day. No tomatoes or sauce, just great northern beans, some of which are mashed to give it thickness. And the kicker, the meat is chicken. Turned out good.
so you made some chicken/bean soup? smile
Sounds like our Supo Pavo Pinto

1 medium white onion.
1 or 2 green chilis (Your call, if you want Bell, Serrano, Anaheim, Jalapeno, Thai... I like Jalapeno)
2 cloves of garlic
2 Tbsp Olive oil or butter.
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp Cumin
� tsp Ground Coriander (for a more savory soup) OR 2 Tbsp freshly minced cilantro (for lighter fresher flavor)
� tsp Black pepper
� tsp ground oregano
� tsp chili powder
3 cups chicken stock
1 can of white pinto beans (roughly 14 oz, drained)
1 can of navy beans or cannellini (not drained)
1 can of Green Giant southwest style corn OR white shoepeg corn.
Juice of 1 lime.
1 Tbsp hot sauce.
Meat from two or three smoked turkey legs.

Avocado slices and green onion (optional)

Mince onion, garlic, and chili. In large stock pot, saut� the onion and chili in butter. Add flour and continue to cook on low stirring and scraping constantly until flour begins to brown slightly. Add cumin, coriander/cilantro, pepper, oregano and chili powder. Add chicken stock. Add lime juice and hot sauce and bring to a light boil. Add beans, and corn. Reduce to a low simmer and add meat. Allow to simmer covered for 5 minutes. Uncover, stir and serve with a few thin slices of avocado and scallion floated on top.
at least you call it soup and not chili
That looks pretty good...
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
so you made some chicken/bean soup? smile

LOL I guess so, except with all the usual chile ingredients, it did taste like chile.
snort!

Hey, I'd share a campfire with you any time sse, and I'd even try the chicken bean soup. smile
cluck, cluck...lol
snort!

Hey, I'd share a campfire with you any time sse, and I'd even try the chicken bean soup. smile

Me too Sam but he would have to leave the margarine at home! grin
oh! Now THAT was a low blow Keith laugh
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
snort!

No margarine was harmed in the making of that chile.
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
snort!

No margarine was harmed in the making of that chile.

sounds like a wonderfull adaptation of the original chile intent. that is, chile is low-cost substantive protein rich food.

beans and chicken could easily qualify, with sufficient inputs of chili pepper and onions. wink

what makes a basic chili? pepper and meat, right? and then add additionals, or not. beans, tomato, tomatillo, salt, etc??

what are the essential ingredients in order to have a "true chili?"

i say pepper, onions, salt, and a meat that takes a while to cook, at the minimum. adding tomatoes and related, and some garlic. anything else? remember, we're speaking of minimum ingredients for a true substantive meal? grin
Originally Posted by Gus

what are the essential ingredients in order to have a "true chili?"

I sure don't know the answer to that question but...
Chili judges want to see meat and red gravy. They don't want to see any green,yellow,orange,or any color chunks in there. Just meat and red gravy...
Chillies
Meat
and
Heat.

Everything else is optional/regional/personal.

Originally Posted by Aileinduinn
Chillies
Meat
and
Heat.

Everything else is optional/regional/personal.

yep. if'n i was back out there in west texas, the beef would probably be brisket. heh, it might even be goat, who knows?

it'd be chunky meat, and not "smooth."

chili pepper, red hot, paparika, and other chilies.

but, what about tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste??

the base case is meat and chili pepper, and maybe some water?

beyond that, what is the next step, building up from the bottom??
The oldest recipes are made of dried or scrap beef, suet, and chilis simmered in water or stock, with salt, cumin, paprika, and masa harina, hominy flour, or tortilla pieces for thickening.

Tomatoes, tomatillos, nopales, onions, garlic, beans, are all post 1900 embellishments.
The oldest recipes are made of dried or scrap beef, suet, and chilis simmered in water or stock, with salt, cumin, paprika, and masa harina, hominy flour, or tortilla pieces for thickening.

Tomatoes, tomatillos, nopales, onions, garlic, beans, are all post 1900 embellishments.

'preciate the advisement and guidance. back in the day, chili was a staple of the working cowboy, wasn't it?
From what I gather, it was street food and poor food in and around the mission towns in the Tex-mex borderlands. San Antonio is considered its cultural home, and it is distinctly American. Earliest documented recipes are from Spain in the late 1600s and refer to a Native American stew of venison and chilis.

It became popularized by Texas trail hands and cowboys in the early 1800s as the first "instant trail meal". They pounded dried beef, suet, pepper, salt, and the chili peppers together into a brick or paste. Think of it as hot pemmican. Due to its condensed nature it was very stable, could be made edible simply by adding enough water to hydrate into a soup. It was likely served with camp breads or tortillas, and or beans (likely the origin of the association between chili and beans).
yep, given the beginning, it's easy to understand when time is tight, and resources are few, that the meat, peppers, and maybe beans were all added to the pot, in order to be more efficient, and save time.

lots of spices in todays chili product. we've made a wonderfully delicious food from a product that use to provide basic protein, fiber, flavor, and carbos to the cowboys who worked to send the cattle East.

in terms of pure efficiency, when time was tight, meat and beans could make a great meal.
I made slow cooker chili verde yesterday for the first time.
The wife put hers over tortilla chips with cheese and green onions and said it was the sexiest plate of nachos she's ever had.
HA!

I used a food network recipe basically cut in half and modified for what I had on hand: lime juice instead of vinegar, poblanos, guajillos and hungarians for chilis, no black pepper, and I added a pinch of cinnamon.

Good stuff.

Guy Fieri's Chili Verde Pork

Does look good. I usually cook and freeze two dinners worth of verde for deer camp so I'll make one batch with this recipe weekend after next.
I build huge pots of chili verde which Miss T cans. I use an entire black bear to build a pot and add about an equal amount of tomatillos; lots of garlic and onions; several different peppers, roasted and peeled; a ton of fresh cilantro and the meat is browned in bacon fat after dredging in masa harina.

It makes a mean burrito...
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I build huge pots of chili verde which Miss T cans. I use an entire black bear to build a pot and add about an equal amount of tomatillos; lots of garlic and onions; several different peppers, roasted and peeled; a ton of fresh cilantro and the meat is browned in bacon fat after dredging in masa harina.

I think I just had what the sages call an epiphany.
Man, that sounds awesome.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Only from Alaska....ingredients: One whole bear cubedwink

Bart's chili should get a sticky IMO

His new signature line is especially fitting to the topic also...
His new signature line is especially fitting to the topic also...

So is your handle...LOL
© 24hourcampfire