Home
I got a visit from my old neighbor today. She has three kids, two are chefs and one is a nurse. She said something to me I thought was interesting. Her kids are 1/8 Italian. The rest is Portuguese, English and Irish. Her daughter refers to herself as being English and Irish. She even has an English and Irish boyfriend. Her two boys, after finishing culinary school, refer to themselves as being Italian! Whah? I'm Italian (half anyway) and realized that here in the flesh and bone world, I really only sit down and talk food with my Italian and Portuguese friends. I sit down with any of my Italian friends and within 10 minutes conversation will turn to food. If I was in Italy, I would be a member of a culinary society.

Men get together over each others houses and cook, drink wine and play Bocce! I think that would be just awesome.

I had a eureka moment and came up with the idea for a little society de culinaria here on the campfire. For us though, men, women, and children may participate. Posting recipes is great, but I've put up a bunch, and received very little feedback. I don't know if anyone has ever tried them.

Here's my idea.

1. There's 52 weeks in a year so we limit this to 26 people - one for every other week. If there's nada interest, we do 12 and have one for each month. Whatever, as long as everyone knows when they sign on.

2. Each person has to post 1 recipe that is near and dear to them that uses simple, inexpensive, easy to obtain ingredients. If Mannlicher posts something calling for poaching in duck fat, we can cry foul ( or fowl) and he's got to put up something different. Anyone can comment if they can't get the ingredients and the person will have to put up a new recipe. The prep time should be no longer than say, 1 hour. This must be done by a certain date. Say New Year's Day ( or later if you procrastinate).

3. Here's the good part. Everyone in the society within the given time period (2 weeks or 1 month or whatever is agreed on) has to cook each one of the recipes.

4. Each person has to comment on weather they do or don't like the recipe and why. It would be like taking a master class in cooking. Educational and great fun.

Where I'm from, I could pick something like

New England Clam Chowder
Brown Bread Muffins
Portuguese Sweet Bread
Baked Stuffed Lobster Fisherman's Style... (kiddin!)
The possibilities are endless. It should be something you are known for and think would be an instant hit with everyone here, not something you saw Bobby Flay do and think would give you big props. Personal, regional, or popular at parties. You choose.

What do you think?
Girls have their book clubs, fat guys have their food clubs! Sounds like a fun project.
I'm interested if it's the once per month club. Neat idea, Rob.
Rob,
I like it.

Im not sure if I have a worthy one that is truly my own, but I will look.

I have a tiny cut of sicilian way back in the tree, and it must be making its way thru. I love talking about food and preparing all the parts. Esp the game meats.

My father does too. I have been making stocks and other things that my friends just think is nuts.

Again Merry Christmas.

Bob
All in!

Good idea.

David
Originally Posted by 257wby
Girls have their book clubs, fat guys have their food clubs! Sounds like a fun project.

I don't have a book club, and I am not a fat guy/person, but I am big chested, does that get me in ?

Lynn
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

I don't have a book club, and I am not a fat guy/person, but I am big chested, does that get me in ?

Lynn

You may go straight to the head of the line---PLEASE!
Rob
I think this a great idea. I for one enjoy the recipes I have tried on the fire.

Randy
I would like to apply to be the offcial taste tester. Each one sends a sample to me of each dish to sample.

I then get fatter! grin
Great idea! I am a fan of this food forum. I've got quite a few good recipes from here.

A picture is worth a thousand words... wink
I have some great Cuban recipes that I learned when living in Miami.
This one, Oxtail stew es muy delicioso, y muy f�cil
Ox Tail Stew
Three pounds oxtail segments
Flour, salt pepper, all mixed together
Vegetable oil
Two large onions, sliced thin
4 carrots, sliced thin
One large tomato, diced
4 or 5 (or 6 or 7) garlic cloves.
Two large red potatoes
Bay leaves
Oregano, thyme, ginger, salt, black pepper
4 cups beef broth, One cup red wine, An Argentine Malbec by Norton, is what I use.
Two tablespoons tomato paste
Two tsp burre manie

Flour the Ox Tail joints,
using a skillet, brown the Oxtails in the vegetable oil
Remove, and place in a Dutch oven.
In the remaining oil, brown the onion and garlic. Place in the Dutch oven with the meat and carrots. Add the beef broth, and red wine. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Season, and cook, covered, for two hours. Still occasionally.
Remove the lid, and add the potatoes, cook another 45 min.
Remove meat and potatoes from the Dutch oven. Keep warm. Pour the remaining liquid through a strainer, and return to the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, and reduce. Add the burre manie, a little bit at a time until all incorporated. Return the meat to the Dutch oven, and cook for 15 min. Check seasoning a final time.
Serve with some of the gravy over the meat, and over the vegetables
So, 12 people, 12 months, 12 recipes? No one for 24? It wouldn't be that hard as long as people keep it simple. 1 meal item every other week.

As of today, here's the ones from the post. Feel free to confirm or chicken out. Just make a post, and I'll add up.

Get this straight. You need to provide 1 recipe. We can put them all in a thread. Everyone has a month to try it, and they have to leave a comment about it. It can't be expensive or complicated. Start thinking about one of your absolute most favorite things to make and hold on tight.

.257wby
freemont
Bob B257
BYC
Miss Lynn
Medicman
RAS2
Mannlicher
TNrifleman
Rob P
?????????
?????????

Let's leave it up a few days and see what happens. First come first served.
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

Now that right there is funny. Big Redhead asking for a picture of Big Chest...laffin!!

Is there a big chested redhead in the house?
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

Now that right there is funny. Big Redhead asking for a picture of Big Chest...laffin!!

Is there a big chested redhead in the house?

I am a big cheated redhead....
I'd like to contribute, count me in!

--Duck911

.257wby
freemont
Bob B257
BYC
Miss Lynn
Medicman
RAS2
Mannlicher
TNrifleman
Rob P
Duck911
????????

We get 12, I'll E mail everyone to confirm.
Sounds like a good project and thanks for taking the lead.

Randy
^
rob-

I'd like to suggest that you wait just a bit longer to hopefully get more participants.

Art?
Miss Treated?

As long as the recipes are posted openly, I think it's a great idea!

And, just for the record, I use the pork rubs you posted a LOT!
Originally Posted by ironbender
rob-

I'd like to suggest that you wait just a bit longer to hopefully get more participants.

I concur. Comon all you self-proclaimed great chefs! Sign-up!!!

Rob, might be a good idea to post over on the main page as well. Just a thought.

David
Originally Posted by rob p
So, 12 people, 12 months, 12 recipes? No one for 24? It wouldn't be that hard as long as people keep it simple. 1 meal item every other week.

As of today, here's the ones from the post. Feel free to confirm or chicken out. Just make a post, and I'll add up.

Get this straight. You need to provide 1 recipe. We can put them all in a thread. Everyone has a month to try it, and they have to leave a comment about it. It can't be expensive or complicated. Start thinking about one of your absolute most favorite things to make and hold on tight.

.257wby
freemont
Bob B257
BYC
Miss Lynn
Medicman
RAS2
Mannlicher
TNrifleman
Rob P
?????????
?????????

Let's leave it up a few days and see what happens. First come first served.

Umm.... I only asked to be judge/taste tester. Sorry for the confussion. My relative works at Case so I'll see about that knife for ya from the campfire thread.
257wby
freemont
Bob B257
BYC
Miss Lynn
Medicman
Mannlicher
TNrifleman
Rob P
Duck911
????????
????????

I'll take RSA2's spot
Originally Posted by duxndogs
I'll take RSA2's spot

Excellent ! smile
I'm looking forward to following this. Sounds interesting. Is this going to proceed on this forum openly, I hope?
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I'm looking forward to following this. Sounds interesting. Is this going to proceed on this forum openly, I hope?

Why not join ?
I can throw in a clam chowder dish that will make your cardiologist freak.

Why not join ?
Thanks for the invite, but I wouldn't enjoy it, I don't think. When I cook, I cook what sounds like something I'd like to eat. Not sure I want to commit myself to cooking a list of dishes that someone else likes. I will enjoy it as a spectator, though. For example, I never miss an episode of Top Chef.
I have a fat azz (I'll leave that open to interpretation), does that get me in?

This won't take the place of the fly swap, will it?

Are prizes awarded as to who gains the most weight in a month? smile
[quote=MissTreated]I have a fat azz (I'll leave that open to interpretation), does that get me in?

With all due respect,ma'am,that is what's known in some circles as juicy. Also as "a lotta junk in her trunk".

Would love to see your participation.Bob
257wby $$$
freemont $$$
Bob B257 $$$
BYC $$$
Miss Lynn $$$
Medicman $$$
Mannlicher $$$
TNrifleman
Rob P $$$
Duck911 $$$
duxndogs $$$
MissTreated $$$

That's 12. I will now p.m. everyone to verify commitment. Remain in a holding pattern.
Hello. The little cooking project is at 12. I'm going down the list to make sure all 12 are still good. Could you drop me a PM and verify. Thank you. Rob Puckett
Originally Posted by MissTreated

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Linked Image] Miss Treated is in !!!! [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Miss L. A fly swap is when a bunch of fly tiers send a bunch of their favorite fly pattern to an "organizer". They pack one of each participant in a box and send them back to everyone. Then we try to catch fish where we are on all their flys. It's cool because I have flys that have caught fish in Alaska! I may never set foot there, but my flys have pinched fish there. I organized one 2 years ago. It was great fun.

Miss T: I missed your fly swap this past year. It came and went before I knew it was happening. Let me know if you are going to run it again. My friend Rick got the biggest kick out of the flys. We had major flooding this past Spring and the hatcheries all washed out. There was no trout fishing this year. We're hoping for good weather next Spring and a good trout season.
Miss L. A fly swap is when a bunch of fly tiers send a bunch of their favorite fly pattern to an "organizer". They pack one of each participant in a box and send them back to everyone. Then we try to catch fish where we are on all their flys. It's cool because I have flys that have caught fish in Alaska! I may never set foot there, but my flys have pinched fish there. I organized one 2 years ago. It was great fun.

That sounds so cool. I stopped at a store in Gonzales, LA earlier this evening, and had time to admire the flies and some of the fly tying materials, some of them were absolutely beautiful. Oh, to have the talent to do it, takes a special kind of "artist" to tie flies. A talent I am pretty sure I don't have.

Lynn
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
[quote=MissTreated]I have a fat azz (I'll leave that open to interpretation), does that get me in?

With all due respect,ma'am,that is what's known in some circles as juicy. Also as "a lotta junk in her trunk".

Bob,
I think she was referring to that knucklehead of a husband of hers... grin
Lynn
You should see the fly Riley tied for his girlfriend for Christmas. I turned a walnut shadowbox to hold it and he mounted it on bugle beads inside. Not terribly big as display flies go, perhaps 2" long, and had no less than a dozen very expensive feathers in one fly... Lots of metallic blues, greens, and purple, and white, and black.

Some of the fairly ordinary feathers run better the $5 each...

Riley won both state competitions last year at 16. A number of those entered have been tying for several multiples of his age. And there were some very good entries in both... He smoked me...

Most of the best fly tyers happen to be women...
art

Originally Posted by DPhillips

Bob,

Dave
Call that knucklehead... He made smoke yesterday...
art

Did someone call my name?
I tie flys basically to decorate trees. I still have all the ones I tied last Winter because rivers washed out this Spring. I'm going to have to find something else to do this Winter, or give away a lot of flys.

You reminded me of a Buddy Hackett story. He was in the Army working in the motor pool and the phone rings.

The voice on the phone asks "Soldier, what vehicles do you have."

"Six tanks, twelve trucks, four jeeps, a half track, and Fat Azz Johnson's command car."

The voice on the phone says "Soldier, do you have any idea who you're talking to?"

He says "No Sir."

The voice says "This is Major Ronald A. Johnson."

He says "Major, Do you have any idea who you are talking to?"

The voice says "No."

Buddy says "Bye Bye Fat Azz" and hangs up the phone.
Well Lynn, if you have proof of your ample bosom, I think that would qualify smile
Originally Posted by DPhillips

Bob,

Ding!
Well Lynn, if you have proof of your ample bosom, I think that would qualify smile

You are definitely on my list of "Want To Meet", every once in a while I post something and you pop in and post something back to me, and you make me smile a mile wide, which in itself is great. But you always seem to do it when I am feeling blue, and it helps so much, it's like you have sixth sense or something. Whatever it is, thank you smile smile

And from what angle would this proof have to be viewed at ?

Lynn
Well, I would be interested...... sounds like fun. Have a killer quick and dirty cassoulet recipe usung game. I met Julia Child once -- does that count for anything?
Originally Posted by meddybemps
Well, I would be interested...... sounds like fun. Have a killer quick and dirty cassoulet recipe usung game. I met Julia Child once -- does that count for anything?

A quick Cassoulet ? This I would like to have, I love a good Cassoulet, but will admit I don't make it often because of the time required to cook it.

Lynn

I'm flattered, Miss L!!

I'm flattered, Miss L!!

I genuinely miss you, and I am happy you will be doing this project smile

Lynn
Waiting on TNrifleman's yes or no. Anyone know him? There's another who'd like to be #12. I sent a PM to everyone a couple days ago.
has he looked at the pm?
I don't really know. I haven't got a reply though.
Look on the pm, it will show on the bottom left corner, "unread by" and it will either say him, or none. Then you know if he has even seen it or not.
Look on the pm, it will show on the bottom left corner, "unread by" and it will either say him, or none. Then you know if he has even seen it or not.

Well he turned up in byc's thread earlier this evening:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...g_Collards_and_Black_Eye_Pea#Post4766230

You are definitely on my list of "Want To Meet", every once in a while I post something and you pop in and post something back to me, and you make me smile a mile wide, which in itself is great. But you always seem to do it when I am feeling blue, and it helps so much, it's like you have sixth sense or something. Whatever it is, thank you smile smile

And from what angle would this proof have to be viewed at ?

Lynn

You are welcome...glad I can touch you in some way.

As far as the angle? Which ever you feel is most advantagous wink Give me your best stuff!
If you need another I'll hop in just let me know
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
If you need another I'll hop in just let me know
Alright! Another Paisan! Looking forward to some good Italian-American cuisine.
Well, no reply, we've got meddybemps on deck. I'll send him a PM. There's always one!

Well, it's January 1. I wonder who should go first. The first signed up?

.257weatherby? Do you have a good one picked out?
I do. This is a family favorite to accompany beef, either grilled or roasted. It was originally called Golden Onions, but is now affectionately know as Onion Pie at our house.

6 medium onions, sliced
3/4 cup of butter divided
1/4 cup of all purpose flower
1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
2 cups of milk
2 T chicken bullion granules
1/4 Cup of burgundy wine
3/4 pound of swiss or gruyere cheese, shredded
1 french baugette sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
4 T melted butter

In a large skillet, saute the onions in 1/2 cup of butter over medium heat stirring frequently until translucent. About 15 minutes. Transfer onions to a buttered 2-quart shallow baking dish and set aside.

In a large sauce pan over low heat, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the flour and stir for for 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper, milk and bullion granules ( I substitute chicken soup base)stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in the burgundy. Pour the sauce over the onions.

Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Dip one side of the bread slices in 4 T of melted butter. Place slices buttered side up over the sauce covering the sauce completely.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bread is completely browned.
After baking let it set up for a few minutes and enjoy!

It is supposed to serve 8. Enjoy! Jeff

If you have any questions about the prep, fire away! I generally use a smaller baugette than the picture and crowd them closer so everyone gets a baugette with every spoonful.

[Linked Image]
I will be making this Wednesday. Do you bake in an 8x14 pan?
Randy
pictures should be mandatory...sounds very good
Originally Posted by medicman
Randy

We make it in glass shallow baking dishes. Round or rectangle. You want the pan to be pretty full.

257wby,

Have you ever made it with a substitution for the "burgundy", as in cider or stock, I can not drink or cook with it because of my chemo meds.

Thanks,

Lynn
Lynn, all recipes are suggestions! Try a non-alcoholic wine or just leave it out. It still tastes great without the wine. I mean really, it's onions, butter and cheese...lol...what else do you need?

Enjoy
Here it is. One day late, but ... not bad.

257wby $$$
freemont
Bob B257
BYC
Miss Lynn
Medicman
Mannlicher
Meddybemps
Rob P
Duck911
duxndogs
MissTreated

Looks like this might work out fine.
.257wby, Thanks for getting us started. My family just asked me today for some slow cooked beef. Maybe some boneless short ribs or a 7 bone chuck. It'll be a perfect opportunity for your recipe.
Rob, it should be a great side for your beef...short ribs...mmmm... Everyone, feel free to call me Jeff
Rob, you can consider my recipe for Ox Tails as my first contribution to this effort.
It is back on the first page of this thread.
Jeff,
tried the Onion Pie tonight. I left the reservation a bit as I did not have the base so I used Beef Stock I had made, and I used a pizza cheese mix instead of the swiss. I am the primary onion eater in the house, but you got a thumbs up from the better half. I think the thought was a very nice reminder of onion soup with the cheese and bread out of this world good. I think next time I do it I will use a more shallow pan to allow for more bread on top. The crisp buttered texture with the bubbly cheese under and a slobber of onion and sauce make a very nice bite! How thick do you slice your onions? I will try to find the Gryure for the next batch just to get it spot on once. A very nice side dish.

[Linked Image]
I went to the market yesterday and today looking for short ribs to try this recipe. I am determined to have some beef and gravy to go with it. I think the gruyere cheese is the proper French onion soup cheese. I've never bought it although I've probably had it many times. I was going to start with that, because I like it on onion soup. I like the shallow pan too. I know I'd like the bread on top.
Sorry, Rob....haven't followed this topic all that closely. We've got our 12? Do we have a first recipe yet? What's the drill?
.257wby signed up 1st, so he's got January.

He put up a recipe for an Onion Pie. You have to go back a page or two.

We have the month of January to make the dish and report back.

February will bring a new recipe from the next on the list...
Holly cow! this is a really good idea. I will look forward to sampling. Thanks
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Jeff,
tried the Onion Pie tonight. I left the reservation a bit as I did not have the base so I used Beef Stock I had made, and I used a pizza cheese mix instead of the swiss. I am the primary onion eater in the house, but you got a thumbs up from the better half. I think the thought was a very nice reminder of onion soup with the cheese and bread out of this world good. I think next time I do it I will use a more shallow pan to allow for more bread on top. The crisp buttered texture with the bubbly cheese under and a slobber of onion and sauce make a very nice bite! How thick do you slice your onions? I will try to find the Gryure for the next batch just to get it spot on once. A very nice side dish.

[Linked Image]

Your dish looks great! I ususally slice the onions about a quarter inch...if you run them thru a mandolin and get them too thin they can fall apart and get too mushy. I like them with some texture.
I could not find the Gryure(spelling) in my local shop so will go to a specialty shop today. I made it with mozza and onions were too thin. The taste is really good, but the thicker onions will give it the texture needed.

I am thinking this will be a side at my next family reunion. I have a 16"x5" cast iron oven that this will work in.

thanks for the recipe. I will send photos of the Gryure/ thick onions as that is the recipe.

Randy
Going to give this a try this weekend, serving it up with a nice rib roast. It looks good, and I am willing to bet it tastes incredible.

Lynn
Jeff,
that is about the way I cut them, and they held up real well. Thanks again for leading off with this one. It was a great start.

Flavor is very good and it was easy to put together. I am thinking it will be a hit at the next school pot luck.

Any more room at the "bar" ? I got a great track record at cook'in...
We've got enough to do 1 recipe a month for the year. That was the intention. There's one more who wanted to participate, and you could start another thread. See if there's more.
I will try the onion pie this weekend. I liked the sound that when 257 first posted the recipe....

So, if I am number 8 on the list I get to do August??
.257wby signed up 1st, so he's got January.

February will bring a new recipe from the next on the list...
Heck, that's me! Pressure's on.........

Gryure(spelling)

Gruyere, someone from a particular bi-lingual country should know that.

I was gonna join this, but figured there would be little appreciation for "pepsi ham" or "ketchup/mustard pork chop."
Originally Posted by sse

Gryure(spelling)

I was gonna join this, but figured there would be little appreciation for "pepsi ham" or "ketchup/mustard pork chop."

Yup you caught me with moi pantelons down. I realised when I bought it today the error of my ways. My bilingualism runs more to the Ojibwe rather than French. I thought Gruyere was Suisse, so I might be wrong there too. At any rate I will use butter and not margarine smile

Randy
Originally Posted by sse

Gryure(spelling)

I enjoy a good gingerale ham every once in a while so your not alone, and gingerbeer kicks butt with pork chops and kraut !

Lynn grin
Gruy�re (French pronunciation) is a hard yellow cheese made from cow's milk, named after the town of Gruy�res in Switzerland, and originated in the cantons of Fribourg, Vaud, Neuch�tel, Jura, and Berne. Before 2001, when Gruy�re gained Appellation d'Origine Contr�l�e (AOC) status as a Swiss cheese, some controversy existed whether French cheeses of a similar nature could also be labeled Gruy�re. (French Gruy�re style cheeses include Comt� and Beaufort.), whereas holes are usually not present in Swiss Gruy�re.

Gruy�re is sweet but slightly salty, with a flavor that varies widely with age. It is often described as creamy and nutty when young, becoming with age more assertive, earthy, and complex. When fully aged (five months to a year) it tends to have small holes and cracks which impart a slightly grainy mouthfeel. To make an 80 kg (176 lb.) round of Gruy�re cheese, about 8000 litres (2110 gallons) of milk are used.

It is often described as creamy and nutty when young, becoming with age more assertive, earthy, and complex. When fully aged it tends to have small holes and cracks

Heck Miss Lynn, I think you described me!
Here all these years I though it was French. medic is off the hook, then.

Used to be able to get gruyere of under ten bucks a pound. The Swiss currency must be strong because it's very expensive now.
Feel free to use Swiss cheese...that's what I usually use. The gruyere is really good, but swiss still adds more flavor than mozz without breaking the bank.

It is often described as creamy and nutty when young, becoming with age more assertive, earthy, and complex. When fully aged it tends to have small holes and cracks

Heck Miss Lynn, I think you described me!

Somehow from what I am beginning to understand about you, you might be right. Your definitely cheesy....

grin grin

Wow. That's a great observation.
Hey...I resemble that!
Hey...I resemble that!

[Linked Image]
I bought most of what I need to make the dish, but as was stated, the cheese nearly broke the bank! Wish I had remebered the swiss alternative, but I was as the store and that is what I remembered. Oh, well. Would like to make a pot roast to go with it, been craving one for some time now. This will be good!

Didn't get regular baguette bread for the top though, the rosemary olive oil loaves were calling to me when I walked by. I had to get them!

Originally Posted by medicman
Randy
8x14 or 9x13 is likely way too big. 2-qt is not that big.

An 8x8x2 is 1.9 liters or let's say 2-qt. (1.9 x 33 oz)
Originally Posted by sse

Gryure(spelling)

SSE,PEPSI HAM is the crown jewel of recipes here. Cuz me and Winkie said so.While I have the pic saved,it would be rude to ever post it,you alone have that right. And that front stuffer just adds er..umm gravitas. Not all will get it,just the old timers. Happy New Year old pard. Bob
Originally Posted by atvalaska

If okay with Rob you can have my spot this time I around. I now have to go to freakin' Japan for 2 months so I doubt I'll be cooking anything. **sigh**
Would it be possible to have all of the recipes posted separately (as a sticky)? Tough to find with a thread this long.
Originally Posted by fremont
Would it be possible to have all of the recipes posted separately (as a sticky)? Tough to find with a thread this long.
I just started a January Recipe thread...it's the first post in the thread. Good idea Fremont!
257Wby, just a question before I make onion pie tonight to accompany a meatloaf. I, too, am going to use chicken base, not granules. The nice thing is a teaspoon of base = teaspoon of granules. Now, a teaspoon of either of those also equals 1 bullion cube. A tablespoon = 3 tsp. The recipe calls for two tablespoons the equivalent of SIX bullion cubes? Doesn't seem like a lot of fluid to contain all that base/granules. (Plus, the sodium is gonna be really up there.) Again, just wanna check.
I use the Tones chicken base...I start with 2 teaspoons and taste from there...definately don't want to get too salty. You can always add.
I use the Tones chicken base...I start with 2 teaspoons and taste from there...definately don't want to get too salty. You can always add.
That sounds about right. Did you mean the recipe to have 2T (capital "T" like in tablespoon)? That's what's written.
The original recipe calls for two tablespoons of granules.
Mario Batali, I'm not, but here goes!

[Linked Image]

After shoveling the snow this morning, I got about to making the family Sunday dinner. I so wanted to do this with a nice roast with pan drippings to go over it, but I wound up with hamburger patties. I did rice pilaf, spinach with garlic, red pepper flakes, and olive oil and... onion pie.

I followed the recipe exactly. I bought gruyere cheese and everything. It took quite a while to cook down two pans of onions, but I got everything together and in the oven.

It was very good. My Mom and her 4 Sisters all thought it was really good. They ate all the toasted baguette from the top and one put the onions and cheese on her hamburger. Go figure. With the cheese, I thought it tasted exactly like French onion soup.

I'm going to push my rod and gun club to suggest we serve it with our venison course at our game dinner. It is really good. Thank you for the recipe.
Hey Rob, glad it passed muster!
I too "broke the bank" for the cheese. It was $9 for a half pound. I had a little bit of cheddar from making apple, cheddar and bacon muffins and threw it on too. The gruyere makes it though. I'm dying to hear what the other folks working on it this weekend think. I think the recipe came out nice.

[Linked Image]
I had good intentions, bought all the ingredients, with the exception of milk, but I've been craving a pot roast, and didn't make it back to the store for it. So, tomorrow night is the night. Have to go to the store after work anyway, so I'm hoping...
I too "broke the bank" for the cheese. It was $9 for a half pound. I had a little bit of cheddar from making apple, cheddar and bacon muffins and threw it on too. The gruyere makes it though. I'm dying to hear what the other folks working on it this weekend think. I think the recipe came out nice.
In the cheese cooler, they want $19.99/lb for Swiss Gruyere. I went over and asked the counterwoman if they had any domestic. She said they did...for $13.99/lb. It was over $8 or $9 for the hunk. I agree; it makes it.

What sized pan?
Additionally, I better make this soon, otherwise, I'll need to get another bottle of wine! blush
SSE

I can't believe you are letting me off the hook that easy. You feeling sorry for this fancophone challenged old man?

1/2 pound of Gruyere cost me $11.00 so you guys got off easy. I used an aged cheese which melted well but had full flavour.

Miss Lynn

Great discussion on history etc of the cheese. I like that kind of insight.

Randy
They had a travel special on WGBH a couple days ago on the Swiss Alps. They went to a couple cheese makers. One had a restaurant and the guy was having a bratwurst, braised cabbage, and a pot of fondue. The guy asked what kind of cheese it was and the waitress said it was Gruyere and white wine. She also said it was a "gift from the French." I wonder how they got to making it in Switzerland. I know they make fontina and use it in fondue, and I believe that's Italian!

I tell you, forget about India. Forget about the happy cows of California. If your a cow, you want to be a cow in Switzerland. Watching them grazing in the meadows with wreaths around their necks and pretty bells. It's a beautiful picture.
Didn't know there was such a thing as domestic Gruyere, due to my philosophy on such things I'll go without. Used to get it for as low as 7 bucks per pound, so a good size hunk wasn't too bad. If I were to choose my fave slice and eat cheese, that would be it.
You feeling sorry for this fancophone challenged old man?

Not really, I just don't have the bar set too high for ya...LOL
Hey, Rob, you look just like your avatar. grin

[Linked Image]
I love gruyere. I have a gourmet cheese place near me, and often pick up some of it for making French Onion Soup.
byc is going to Japan! dvdegeorge was on deck, and is filling in and atvalaska is on deck. Thanks all. Let's hope we all stick with it.

I had the onion pie again tonight and have come to the conclusion that you have to stuff as much bread on top as possible because they will take it all. I spread the left over onions, covered the top with bread and toasted it again. They ate all but about 2 tablespoons of the onions and that's going on my sandwich for lunch.

I wonder if you could get artsy startsy and do this recipe upside down. Do like a Top Chef deconstruction. Put a bread round dipped in butter, sprinkle with cheese, put the onion mix on top and put it under the broiler. Serve as a canape. Whoo wee, just might have to break out the cloth napkins.
Hey, Rob, you look just like your avatar. grin

More and more every day.

I hit return a few times so the pic wouldn't be right next to it because it creeped me out a little too. It's getting to be about time to call 1-800 Jenny.
Hey, Rob, Check the fly fishing forum for a new post.
Lynn, all recipes are suggestions! Try a non-alcoholic wine or just leave it out. It still tastes great without the wine. I mean really, it's onions, butter and cheese...lol...what else do you need?

Enjoy
bacon! wink lol
Hey medic, I pawned the last good size chunk of Gruyere I had. Due for redemption soon. LOL
I got my gruyere at Costco. Less than $10/lb. Swiss made.
You should hoard it.
I can certainly think of worse things to hoard!
If you need something to do, check this place out.

http://www.vendaravioli.com/

They are 15 minutes away in Providence. The family sends me over every couple weeks for groceries. If you check their online grocery store and look at Cheese, you might go into shock. Those are the prices we pay as well. A little Red Cow Parmigiano for $30 a pound!

It's a great place though. If I lived in Alaska, I'd have them ship. Olives, cheese, cured meats. They should travel well!

I don't know. If someone were to send me a box of oh say, smoked salmon. I might return the favor.
By no means is my tardy response due to lack of interest. I'm workin' on it....... wink
I gotta learn how to post pics on here. Tried the onion pie and it looked, well, exactly like Rob's. I cut the quantities slightly as there are just two of us home. Used 4 onions rather than 6 and reduced everything proportionally. I substituted vermouth ( Noilly Prat) for the burgundy, and used half and half with chicken broth (50/50)and popped it in the oven. Turned out great. If I were making it again, and I will, I'll cut back a bit on the butter a bit.

The really remarkable thing about this recipe was how sweet the onions were. Served it up with some pan seared moose backstrap and a quick pan sauce along with steamed green beans. Uncorked a bottle of cabernet to go along with it.

I'll fiddle with the recipe a bit, but it's a keeper.
I also used half and half instead of milk
Originally Posted by meddybemps
I gotta learn how to post pics on here.

Cruise on down to the photo forum, there is a thread stickied to the top about posting pictures. It's a good tutorial.

Everyone is doing great. I'm looking forward to February. Seeing as we are getting a foot of snow every couple days, it's a nice thing to look forward to.
I'm next and getting ready for the Feb. recipe....it will be a good one
You better make it an Italian American dish. We're counting on you. grin
???? I was assuming I was on deck.

.257wby
freemont
Bob B257
BYC
Miss Lynn
Medicman
RAS2
Mannlicher
TNrifleman
Rob P
?????????
?????????
Here it is. One day late, but ... not bad.

257wby $$$
freemont
Bob B257
BYC
Miss Lynn
Medicman
Mannlicher
Meddybemps
Rob P
Duck911
duxndogs
MissTreated

Looks like this might work out fine.

I think this was the last post of the list.
My main concern is that I am last. It's going to be a tough hand to draw to!!!
Sorry my bad....I misread the PM from Rob....I took BYC's spot so I'm on double deck...sorry for the confussion
I am out. Just don't have the time or ability right now, to follow through with this project.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am out. Just don't have the time or ability right now, to follow through with this project.
I'm tempted to offer myself as replacement, but actually don't like the idea of having to cook every recipe that's put before me. I like what I like, and if a recipe looks like something I'd like, I will usually try it, but otherwise not. I would love to contribute a recipe, but that's not how the game is played.
Maybe we just one of the hundreds of great recipes Sam's already proferred?? grin
If you need a replacement for anyone count me in!!! I just found this thread and looks great! I have a lot of swiss, (especially the cheese) in me.
Welcome!!! Not just to our "list", but to the 'fire as well!
Thanks, I like most of what I see.
Sooooo,

257wby $$$
freemont
Bob B257
dvdegeorge
Miss Lynn
Medicman
Chris C
Meddybemps
Rob P
Duck911
duxndogs
MissTreated

Sooooo,

257wby $$$
freemont
Bob B257
dvdegeorge
Miss Lynn
Medicman
Chris C
Meddybemps
Rob P
Duck911
duxndogs
MissTreated

rob i got the boot? (from page 7 on the 7th)...and i all ready posted pic's and all...whaaaaa!!!https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4799894/3/January_Recipe_Onion_Pie_First
Originally Posted by atvalaska

We've got enough to do 1 recipe a month for the year. That was the intention. There's one more who wanted to participate, and you could start another thread. See if there's more.

byc is going to Japan! dvdegeorge was on deck, and is filling in and atvalaska is on deck. Thanks all. Let's hope we all stick with it.

My computer has been in the shop 3 weeks, and I got it back the day before yesterday. I'm trying to catch up, but looking back, I never had you on the list. On deck. I'm sorry if I screwed up. Feel free to play along. If someone bails, come in, or if we last that long, we can do 13!
I would vote for another month to make it 13
257wby $$$
freemont $$$
Bob B257 $$$
BYC $$$
Miss Lynn $$$
Medicman $$$
Mannlicher $$$
TNrifleman
Rob P $$$
Duck911 $$$
duxndogs $$$
MissTreated $$$

That's 12. I will now p.m. everyone to verify commitment. Remain in a holding pattern.

Duck911, you ready to rock 'n' roll???
Sooooo,

257wby $$$
freemont
Bob B257
dvdegeorge
Miss Lynn
Medicman
Chris C
Meddybemps
Rob P
Duck911
duxndogs
MissTreated

MissTreated, you booted me out AFTER my recipe? wink
All I did was copy the list from Rob P, so I might be guilty, but not knowingly. blush
We're adding ATVALASKA for 13!!

I haven't seen Duck911 much. Hope he's got a good recipe.
Bring it on! There have been many great recipes since Onion Pie in January. 3 Cheers for Rob for starting it and keeping it going!
MissTreated I just had to do that, couldn't help myself. smile

Rob, this is a great idea. Thanks for doing it, great to have new recipes.
Chris
At the end, it might be nice to cut and paste each one in a thread for easy viewing.

I had a thought of trying this again next year with cookie recipes. I'm always looking for new ones for my Christmas plates. Anyone in a cookie club for Christmas?
Keep up the good work, I've enjoyed the recipes so far.
Rob, when it comes to food, I'm in.

Chris
Cookies!
Betcha y'all are gonna get a lot of "lurkers"... (hehehehe) grin
duxndogs up next?
Hope he didn't want to use his Chili Cheesedog Fatty!! grin

Mike
© 24hourcampfire