Home
I just got a fresh backbone and was thinking of a stew. Or should I use it for stock?
All ideas welcome.
I would just trim the meat off and use it from stew. I have never had anything made with venison bones that was not nasty tasting. Venison fat is not your friend. Funky taste and it coats your teeth like wax.
Mike I agree about deer fat but the backbone itself should be fat free after the loin and tenderloin are removed. I use mine for stock and it is amazingly tasty.

Randy
Never done it myself. Maybe what I have had was not trimmed well. Even trimmed well I am surprised it makes good stock. Bone marrow is basically fat. Maybe I will get adventurous and try this myself with the next deer to hit the ground.

Since it makes good stock probable be best to trim off all the larger pieces of meat and set aside. Make your stock then turn it into stew. I never cook my venison long in stew. I get my stew to the point of about done. Quick pan fry on the venison and let cook at most a half hour in the stew. Never encountered any venison that needs to be stewed unless your using meat from the shanks. Trimmings off the loin are without a doubt going to be tender.
You have a good start to making head cheese or braun. look for recipes on the net.
Thanks guys, Stripped it, stewed the meat,gave the bones to the dog. She really appreciated it!
Any concern with CWD? The prions that supposedly cause CWD cannot be "cooked to death". Maybe CWD is not prevalent in your area, but I'd shy away from anything spinal cord related just to be safe around these parts.

--Duck911
Duck, none anywhere near here. Thanks, I keep an eye on the reports.
Originally Posted by duck911
Any concern with CWD? The prions that supposedly cause CWD cannot be "cooked to death". Maybe CWD is not prevalent in your area, but I'd shy away from anything spinal cord related just to be safe around these parts.

--Duck911

No CWD here, but thanks for the warning. By the way your pup is a fine looking dog.

Randy.
Didn't figure you all had to worry about it back there. I'm jealous, some backbone stock sounds mighty tasty!

Thanks for the compliments on the pup!

--Duck911
© 24hourcampfire