Home
Posted By: wabigoon Buttermilk biscuits - 12/17/11
Any good recipes for buttermilk biscuits?
Posted By: eh76 Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/17/11
Nut using buttermilk but darn good! You might substitute buttermilk.....

Mile High Biscuits

3 cups flour
4 � tsp baking powder
� tsp cream of tartar
� tsp salt
� cup butter
1 cup milk
1 egg
Combine dry ingredients. With pastry blender cut in butter until it resembles a coarse meal. Beat egg slightly and add to milk; add this to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until the dough holds together. Turn dough out on a floured surface (wood cutting board or a pastry sheet) and knead. Roll out about �� to �� thick and cut into biscuits. Bake on greased sheet at 450� for 10 to 12 minutes. 11 minutes is optimal in my oven. Makes 12 biscuits.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/17/11
I will have to try those, do I HAVE to be at 5280+ to work? only about 1000ft here. grin
Posted By: eh76 Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/17/11
laugh they are my favorite. When my wife won't make them, they are easy enough that I can....biscuits and stew [Linked Image]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/19/11
Thanks! I made the biscuits yesterday. Mine were more half inch than mile high however. Tasty enough. I have more experence fixing barbed wire fence, than bicuits. More practice may be in order. I'll try again. Beer bicuits sound intresting as well.
Posted By: boilerpig1 Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/19/11
Self rising flour and buttermilk. Mix just until milk and flour are incorporated. Do not knead. Pat dough 1/2" flat on floured wax paper. Cut in your desired shape and put in a greased or oiled pan. Brush tops with butter or oil and bake @ 425 till done.

BP...
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/19/11
2 Cups flour
5 teaspoons baking powder
2 Teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening

mix dry ingredients then cut in shortening

add 1 1/4 cups buttermilk and stir in or use hands to mix.

Don't overwork

I pat it out to about a 1/2 inch thick amd cut with a biscuit cutter, then put on a greased flat pan and bake at around 450 til starting to brown on top nicely.

while
Posted By: .280Rem Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/19/11
No eggs in biscuits. It's not a cake. One rookie mistake on biscuits: over-working the dough. Cut in lard or shortning until you have a clumpy mix of flour and pea sized chunks. Make a well, add buttermilk, and just mix well enough to combine...this is where folks tend to want to over-work it. Roll out dough until about half inch thick, cut out circles, bake at 450 until brown.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup lard or vegetable shortening, chilled
2 tablespoons butter, chilled
3/4 cup buttermilk

Posted By: eh76 Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/20/11
everyone has an opinion..... you are entitled to yours wink I like my recipe
Posted By: .280Rem Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/20/11
Originally Posted by eh76
everyone has an opinion..... you are entitled to yours wink I like my recipe

Just citing the "classic southern buttermilk biscuit" recipe. Lots of ways to skin a cat.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/20/11
Tag
Originally Posted by sgt217
2 Cups flour
5 teaspoons baking powder
2 Teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening

mix dry ingredients then cut in shortening

add 1 1/4 cups buttermilk and stir in or use hands to mix.

Don't overwork

I pat it out to about a 1/2 inch thick amd cut with a biscuit cutter, then put on a greased flat pan and bake at around 450 til starting to brown on top nicely.

while

Hadn't read down this far...that's a good un, and good advice.
Posted By: primo Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/20/11
Another easy recipe, 2.5 cups lily white self rising flour, 1.5 cups heavy cream, mix, knead 3 -4 times, roll out and cut. 450 degrees till done.
Originally Posted by primo
Another easy recipe, 2.5 cups lily white self rising flour, 1.5 cups heavy cream, mix, knead 3 -4 times, roll out and cut. 450 degrees till done.

Not trying to be contrary with you or eh76, but the OP did ask for BUTTERMILK BISCUIT recipes.
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/20/11
If you used EH76's recipe with buttermilk, it's no wonder it didn't rise.
Cream of Tartar (an acid) is used with regular milk to adjust the acidity of the dough so the baking powder will work.
Buttermilk itself is more acidic than regular milk, and baking soda (a base) is generally used to counteract the acidity.
Baking powder only works within a narrow ph range.
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by primo

Not trying to be contrary with you or eh76, but the OP did ask for BUTTERMILK BISCUIT recipes.

No worries...I just like mine. Never used buttermilk in them but would leave the cream of tarter out if I did and sub bakingsoda for the powder as mcmurphrjk pointed out. My bad for not saying that. Apologies.
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
If you used EH76's recipe with buttermilk, it's no wonder it didn't rise.
Cream of Tartar (an acid) is used with regular milk to adjust the acidity of the dough so the baking powder will work.
Buttermilk itself is more acidic than regular milk, and baking soda (a base) is generally used to counteract the acidity.
Baking powder only works within a narrow ph range.

Where did I say I used it?
I think he meant to reply to wabigoon and used the quick reply feature.
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/20/11
I know mine is good, and looking at 280s I can tell it would be true good buttermilk bisciuts also...
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/24/11
Photos of the finished product would be good.
Posted By: sgt217 Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/24/11
From this morning, if that helps...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tim M Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/26/11
My mother in law makes the best i've had, she finally took the time to show me how she does it. she follows a recipe very similar to 280rem's but she uses about 1/2 bacon grease and 1/2 shortening. The bacon grease really makes a difference.
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/29/11
SGT217
those are bangin biscuits. My kids just vaporized a double batch!
Thanks for the tip and picture.

This will be a fav. at camp for sure.

Bob
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 12/30/11
our old family farm house recipe is so old, no one really knows. SW Virginia mountain biscuits, if you will. laugh

2 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup lard
1 cup fresh buttermilk. Thick is good

sift dry ingredients three times, then cut in the lard. Do NOT over mix. Chunky is fine
Add the buttermilk all at once, and beat in throughly.
Turn out onto a floured surface, knead a few times, and roll out. I like half to 3/4 inch thick.
Cut with a square or round cutter. I like a three inch square biscuit myself.
Bake 'em in a hot oven. 450F works fine. Don't over cook, about 15 min should do it.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 01/08/12
I'm more of a griller so here goes....

My first batch ever of Buttermilk Biscuits.

I followed 280Rem's recipe and added a little more buttermilk and a little sugar.

Thanks, they turned out great!! YUMMY

[Linked Image]

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk (1 1/4 cups instead)
Posted By: Ron_T Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 01/08/12

DANG !~!~!

I gotta try these buttermilk biscuit recipes... !~!~! grin

Posted By: .280Rem Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 01/08/12
Originally Posted by SU35

I followed 280Rem's recipe and added a little more buttermilk and a little sugar.

[Linked Image]

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

I can't take credit for the recipe. One I picked up somewhere on the net, but is a "standard" southern buttermilk biscuit type recipe. Your little tinkering proves there's no exact one way to skin a cat. Your biscuits look great, the way they should.
Posted By: croldfort Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 01/08/12
I checked with Wifey, my up-north in-house expert, about biscuits. We have them about once a week. She uses Bisquick. Taste good to me.

FWIW, she said that no one that she knows used eggs in their biscuits.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 01/08/12
Tell her to try my wife's recipe...bet you both like it. It is simple enough.
No eggs in biscuits. It's not a cake. One rookie mistake on biscuits: over-working the dough. Cut in lard or shortning until you have a clumpy mix of flour and pea sized chunks. Make a well, add buttermilk, and just mix well enough to combine...this is where folks tend to want to over-work it. Roll out dough until about half inch thick, cut out circles, bake at 450 until brown.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk

Sounds good. I'd definitely skip the vegetable shortening. Pure transfats. Lard has had a bad rap for years, but it's far healthier than vegetable shortening.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 01/11/12
Those are purty biscuits!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 01/11/12
Here is a biscuit I made with the vegetable beef soup I posted.

QUICK DROP BISCUITS
Printed from COOKS.COM
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. milk
Sift dry ingredients into bowl. Cut in butter. Stir in milk quickly, beating with a fork until mixed well. Drop onto greased pan by spoonfuls. Bake 10-15 minutes at 450.
Makes 10 biscuits.
Posted By: Field_Hand Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 01/12/12
looks good. man i'd kill for some of my grandma's buttermilk biscuits. she used to just mix them up in the flour bin of her hutch. scoop out a hole in the flour pour in the buttermilk grab a handful of lard and mix em up.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 01/12/12
Hell I'd kill for any of my Grandma's cooking now frown
Posted By: Field_Hand Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 01/12/12
Originally Posted by eh76
Hell I'd kill for any of my Grandma's cooking now frown
oh yeah been 8 long years since i've had her cooking.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 01/12/12
Originally Posted by Field_Hand
looks good. man i'd kill for some of my grandma's buttermilk biscuits. she used to just mix them up in the flour bin of her hutch. scoop out a hole in the flour pour in the buttermilk grab a handful of lard and mix em up.

I'd forgotten that method. My Grandma did the same. There was a 50 pound bag of flour in the pantry. She would open it up, make a well, pour in the bacon fat or lard, knead, add the buttermilk, mix and that was that. No measuring that I remember. Perfect biscuits every time. shocked

Thanks field hand for the memory. laugh
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 01/12/12
That's how my grandmother made biscuits too. She kept her flour in a lard stand and made the best biscuits I have ever eaten. I do miss that wonderful lady.
Originally Posted by SU35

[Linked Image]

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
I bet. They look fantastic. Just imaging them with some sausage gravy poured over them. Yum.
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 11/06/13
Just walked by the dairy section tonight and had to turn back when the buttermilk caught my eye. Returned home and daughter #1 and I made a batch of 280 rems mix.
Sure are good on a cool fall night. Somehow I kept myself from making gravy....
Might just have to for the AM wake up.

Posted By: Whelenman Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 11/06/13
I'm going to try this, but I have to go gluten free. The last time I tried they looked like hockey pluck,and had the same consistency.
Posted By: elwood Re: Buttermilk biscuits - 11/08/13

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk

This will work....
© 24hourcampfire