Home
Posted By: brinky72 What's the best goose recipe? - 08/24/12
I love(d) to hunt geese. However I haven't seriously hunted since the lead shot ban. I normally gave them away and never really ate them. I would like to go hunting again but I don't eat them and I won't just shoot them and waste them. So, any good recipes are welcome. When I've ate them before they were tough as nails and dry. In other words tasted like chit. Thanks for the help
Posted By: eh76 Re: What's the best goose recipe? - 08/24/12
It starts with a shingle.........
actually the breast makes darn good jerky.
The key with any red fleshed game bird like geese and ducks is not to treat it as poultry. I only eat the breasts rest gets boiled up for the dogs. The breasts get cooked like beef. Of course a little extra prep is needed. My favorite way to cook ducks and geese is to cut the breast into strips the long way about 1/2" thick. Then I poke the strips with a fork several times. Work your way up and down the the strip a couple times poking a line of holes.

Next marinate. Can of coke couple tablespoons soy sauce four or five cloves of garlic crushed and some black pepper. Marinate for at least four or five hours to over night. Ducks don't need as long as geese. Once they marinate drain them and dry thoroughly. Thread couple strips onto skewers. Grill them over a very hot grill preferable natural lump charcoal. Don't cook too long couple three minutes a side at most. DO NOT cook past medium med rare is better. You only need to turn them once. If you like you can brush them with a teriayke sauce as they come off the grill. Everyone that has tried these thinks they are beef or maybe venison.

Another great recipe is to freeze the breasts. Don't freeze solid just want them kind of icy and firm. Use a sharp knife cut very thin slices across the grain. Marinate for about an hour in half a cup of soy tablespoon sesame oil couple cloves chopped garlic black pepper. You can use the slices a couple ways. Use as you would use beef in a stir fry or any chinese type beef dish such as beef and broccoli. Cook hot and fast. Next thing to do with same meat is again cook hot and fast. Then get some flat breads or pitas. Makes a great sandwich. Top with whatever you like. You can also do a marinade of olive oil garlic and Greek spices and come up with a damn good gyro.

Kind of an odd one is to do schnitzel. Use duck or goose instead of veal. Pound the breast down to about a quarter to of an inch working the edges out so you end up with a decent sized cutlet. Dust in flour then into milk and egg then bread crumbs. Fry fast in butter. Serve with some spaetzles a bit of red cabbage excellent meal.

Final thing is fajitas. Again very thin slices. I usually just marinate in a bit of oil with any packaged fajita seasoning and a bit of lime.

Really you can do most anything. Just treat as beef. Marinating and hot fast cooking and not over cooking are the keys. Cooking technique will do more for ducks and geese than the seasonings you choose.
I have my goose breasts all made into jerky and it is excellent. The legs are rolled in flour and browned in oil and then baked covered with mushroom soup in a disposable aluminum cake pan. They come out tender and yummy.
+1 on the jerky. In my experience goose takes less salt than venison or beef. YMMV.
Originally Posted by eh76

This.

Goose any other way sux.
take the breasts from 2 birds

soak in salt water over night in the refrig.

when ready for dinner--place breasts on a broiling rack in the oven--have oven at 430 degrees

leave in oven for 6 minutes

remove from oven, turn over ,,return to oven for 4 minutes--turn off oven and use residual heat to finish

while breasts are roasting ,,take a 12 inch by 12 inch cutting board and cover it with 1/4 inch of butter

remove breasts from oven,,place on buttered board, slice 1/4 inch thick,,serve immediately

note--have guests at table when you remove meat from oven.
Another vote for jerky, and nobody will guess it's goose.
Posted By: petr Re: What's the best goose recipe? - 08/24/12
Goose and Folse

Mixes with lots of other things.
get a copy of Julie Child's "mastering the art of french cooking", and make a cassoulet. laugh
My mother in law did this a lot better than I do. Cut the goose or duck into small pieces, bone and all. Biggest piece would be about the size of golf ball. She would put some oil and chopped onions in a large sauce pan on top of the stove. Simmer this until the onions get cooked pretty well. Then put the cut up bird into this and cook on low heat. It took over an hour, maybe 2. Stirring frequently. Its the only way that I have ever found waterfowl delicious, but I would rarely leave leftovers. We shot a lot of birds too. This is so good, my father in law wouldnt share his ducks with me. I would always give mine to him and he just said thanks and went on. I bet I gave them 30 birds before I got to eat any. Mother in law cooked the first pheasants I shot that night, but not ducks, lol. Shes cooking in the big kitchen in the sky so if anyone sees her tell her hi, we sure miss her. I got some dirt in my eye, brb.

If you kill dozens of geese have them made into summer sausage at a locker.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

This.

Goose any other way sux.

My Grandmother could roast a goose and make it delicious. I never could make one edible that way.
"What's the best goose recipe?"

There's no way to make that [bleep] palatable to me.....I love to hunt em' though!
Although i don't have the recipe, a cohort of mine make the finest goose sausage you ever ate. It's sooooo good that you don't even know it's goose or you wouldn't have eaten it in the first place. I'm taking all the goose i can lay my hands on this season and making it into sausage. Wish i could share the recipe with you: maybe next year after we make a pile of it this winter....then again, maybe it's a secrut recipe and I won't come away with anything but goose sausage. I can live with that.
Goose sausage....man, that doesn't sound bad at all.

I'm gonna give it a whirl this fall.
We process a lot of our waterfowl into sausage, sticks, jerky, and summer sausage. You can substitue waterfowl for any venison recipe and with the exception of straight up muscle jerky (not ground and formed, mixed etc), you'll never taste the difference.

I cook it for the table many ways, too many to list here. I really like to cube it up and marinate in either Allegro or Italian dressing for 24 hours, and grill to MEDIUM RARE, medium at most. Waterfowl is red meat, and should be treated as such. You like your ribeyes med rare, cook your waterfowl to med rare.

One thing I do with duck quite a bit is cut it into strips, bread it however you like, and pan or deep fry. Dip in your favorite sauce and enjoy. I like sweet and sour.

Anything that invloves jalapenos, cream cheese and bacon is excellent.

Chili

Crockpot with cream of mushroom soup, Lipton Onion mix, and veggies...

The list goes on and on. It's all good!!

Kudos on wanting to eat what you kill. I understand waterfowl isn't for everybody, but at least you'll make an effort.
Goose brats don't sound to shabby either.

I'm gettin pumped.
Posted By: add Re: What's the best goose recipe? - 08/29/12
Oven Cooking Bags and bacon is great place to start.
Crock pot+
8-10 goose legs+
four soup cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup(or one of those big cans)don't add water+
1 packet of mrs. grass onion soup mix+
12hours of slow cooking= goodness and gravy to top the mashed potatoes with....
jerky...
Geese and ducks make a good salami. My favorite method is to bottle (pressure can) them with skin removed, de-boned and cut into pieces. Use them shredded (pulled) as sandwich spread or in soups and stews. I also oven roast young geese but if you cook them much beyond rare they will be tough and dry. cdhunt has the right idea with higher oven heat and short cooking time.
I would roast at 450- 500 if I had a commercial venting system in the kitchen as there will be a lot of fat spatter and smoke. Not having that I settle on 425 and keep the kitchen fan on.
Marinate 1 hour in Old Crow, drink marinade, pitch goose.
Place breast in ice water for 24 hours (drain water frequently and replace). 3 hours b4 grilling marinate in 1 cup bourbon, 2 cups soy sauce, brown sugar and pepper. Reserve marinade for gravy later (add flour, cream, & touch of garlic), kiss the breasts on a hot grill (2-3 minutes per side). Serve over wild rice with baby asparagus, biscuits, and bottle of hearty red.
First, I do not see the wisdom in hunting anyting unless you are going to use it.

Second, low and slow is the way to go.
Originally Posted by 22WRF
First, I do not see the wisdom in hunting anyting unless you are going to use it.

I don't know about wise but it is fun to hear them go thump when they hit the ground!

Second, low and slow is the way to go.

Not on a goose unless you like eating seasoned rubber boots.

Posted By: eh76 Re: What's the best goose recipe? - 09/16/12
Originally Posted by lovemy99
jerky...

agreed just had some a friend made....wow was it good!
Not on a goose unless you like eating seasoned rubber boots.

laugh lol
I have posted this here a number of times:

CORNED GOOSE

It also works well with other game (I have made it with deer, elk, antelope......it is unbelievable!)

Recipe for use with elk, deer, moose, goose, or duck.

All dry ingredients:

2 T tenderquick
1 T Br. Sugar
1/2 T Mustard seed
1/3 T Black pepper
1/2 t paprika
1/2 t Allspice
1/2 t Garlic powder
1/2 t crushed bay leaves

This is enough dry rub for 2 to 3 lbs meat. (for example, it should do 2 halves of a Canada goose breast). Mix more dry rub based on amount of meat being cured.

Mix all above. Roll meat in mix to coat. Pack in zip lock bag and refrigerate, flipping the bag every day for 7 days to keep pressure on meat.

Put in Reynolds cooking bags, (do not rinse off spices!) and place in roasting pan.

Roast for 1 hour, 15 minutes minutes at 300 degrees. Shorter time for
snow geese, ducks, or smaller/thinner cuts of meat.

Let meat settle overnight before slicing, preferably on deli-slicer. I marinate the cooked meat in a ziplock bag with the "drippings" from the oven bag overnight in the refridgerator. I find this helps keep the meat tender and moist.

--Duck911
Depends on the goose and what you want.

You might try DUCK AND GOOSE COOKERY by Eileen Clarke. She's cooked everything from Ross's geese to the biggest Canadas in various ways, and describes how to deal with them from the moment of shooting to the table. The recipes all work--I know, because I was the primary taste-tester, though other people have tried 'em too.

DUCKS UNLIMITED assigned her to write the book a few years ago. You can get it through DU or www.riflesandrecipes.com.
I'm one of the "other people" and she made ( I know it
doesn't sound good) a duck meatloaf that was WONDERFUL! I'm sure it would be just as good with goose...get the book and try the recipe! grin

I used to take a smoked goose to elk camp. It never lasted long.
For 6 years, my ex-mother-in-law fixed goose for the Christmas festivities. She's dead now....and I don't miss either one of them. cool
Originally Posted by lovemy99
jerky...
x2

that's the only way i know how to make it edible
Corned Goose Breast, Jerky, or breast cut in strips lengthwise 8 to a breast, skewered with wood sticks and soaked in teryaki over night, then flash grilled til just done.
Never any of these left at the game dinner I help with each year. Always in the running for top item next to fresh seafood and many other wild game dishes prepared by a real pro........
unlike the beaver pie.
I'm tellin' ya...... try the corned goose recipe............. laugh
Originally Posted by duck911
I'm tellin' ya...... try the corned goose recipe............. laugh

I use a similar recipe for corned goose. It can't be beat! Great as meal or hors d'oeuvres.

+1000!
i always cut the breast into bite size pieces, batter them and deep fry, turns out really good
I bone out goose and ducks. Freeze meat. End of hunting season take out, grind it mix with pork butt and make andouille sausage
A friend did the same with a pile of geese he had except it was Kielbasa! Wow that did not last long. I think one kid at the last field trial ate about half of one himself. The rest was gone before I even got over to the grill.

Have done a lot of breast jerky, most can not tell it from venison.
© 24hourcampfire