Home
Posted By: Dogslife57 Parboil squirrel? - 09/27/12
Ok so I'm cooking ignorant, and want to do some squirrel hunting this year after many yrs off. If the recipe says parboil, do I just boil the thing in plain water? How long? I remember boiling one yrs ago and the thing was like leather mixed with rubber. HaHa. Never hunted squirrel after that.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Parboil squirrel? - 09/28/12
I parboil them in water with some salt and onions, then roll in flour/salt/pepper and pan fry in butter...pretty slowly till golden brown. Nothing better!
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Parboil squirrel? - 09/28/12
I've parboiled them, but I don't remember how long. Long enough to tender them up a bit but not long enough for the meat to fall off the bone.

After parboiling, I've put a little BBQ sauce on em and throw em on the grill. Very similar IMO to eating chicken wings.
I use a pressure cooker if the recipe calls for parboiling. Does the same thing a lot faster and you don't boil off any of the flavor.
Posted By: boilerpig1 Re: Parboil squirrel? - 09/28/12
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
I use a pressure cooker if the recipe calls for parboiling. Does the same thing a lot faster and you don't boil off any of the flavor.

For how long?

BP...
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Parboil squirrel? - 09/28/12
Someone told me they boil them for....like 2 hrs, I'm thinking par boiled should only be..what... maybe 15-20 minutes?
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Parboil squirrel? - 09/28/12
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Someone told me they boil them for....like 2 hrs, I'm thinking par boiled should only be..what... maybe 15-20 minutes?

That sounds about right....long enough for all that squirrel hair you missed to float to the top... wink
Originally Posted by boilerpig1
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger

For how long?

BP...

Should have said, sorry, about ten minutes @ 10 pounds. Use the juice for gravy.
Posted By: selmer Re: Parboil squirrel? - 09/29/12
Ingwe and I do it the same and the results are fantastic!
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Parboil squirrel? - 10/01/12
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by Dogslife57

That sounds about right....long enough for all that squirrel hair you missed to float to the top... wink

Why would you worry about that? After dinner, just brush your teeth with a comb and that'll take care of the hair. wink

L.W.

Posted By: ribka Re: Parboil squirrel? - 10/03/12
20 min in pressure cooker with salted water onions celery and carrots.

Roll in flour spices pan fry. Deglaze white wine for gravy.Serve with potatoes or other root veggie.
© 24hourcampfire