Home
Posted By: Bullwnkl knives - 02/01/02
I am in the market for a real good kitchen knife or two. I don't need anything more than a chefs knife and a paring knife. My knives do not see the inside of a dishwasher and are kept sharp with a good steel. Now is the time for new quality knives. Any suggustions.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.
Posted By: RickBin Re: knives - 02/01/02
No doubt.
<br>
<br>Victorinox/Forschner.
<br>
<br>I've got an in if you're interested.
<br>
<br>Rick
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: knives - 02/01/02
That's what the big boys use
<br>BCR
Posted By: prairie dog shooter Re: knives - 02/02/02
When I cut meat for Iowa Beef we used Forschner or F-Dick. I still have some of these and use them for processing my deer. Those are the best. Most restrauant supply companys will have them.
<br>
<br>If you need chefs and paring knives (kitchen knives as opposed to butcher knives) Hinkle is what the pros use. I have some of those too and they are top quality. You can find them at the yuppie kitchen shops in the malls.
<br>
<br>You are right to keep them out of the dishwasher. That is real bad for knives.
<br>
<br>I follow a few rules with my knives;
<br>
<br>1. keep them sharp ( use the smooth steel )
<br>2. keep them hidden where the wife and kids can't find them.
<br>3. use a knife for one appilacation only. ( butcher knives cut only meat, chefs knives are for choping vegtables, skinning knives are only for skinning, filet knives for fish,..etc. I sharpen each blade at the best angle for the intended purpose and use it only for that purpose. This maintains the edge and speeds resharping.
<br>4. never let a wooden handled knive soak in the sink. (bad)
<br>5. unless you sharpen knives for a living, use a Lansky sharping device. It takes almost daily practice to use a stone and hit the same angle on both sides of the blade every time.
<br>6. if kitchen shears will do the job don't use your knife.
Posted By: Bullwnkl Re: knives - 02/02/02
Good advice PDS, I already use all but the kitchen shear pointers. Going to Seattle next weekend to look for Hinkles and buy some skate wing at the farmers market.
<br>Thanks again
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl,
© 24hourcampfire