Home
Posted By: Mannlicher Bought a new stove - 01/07/14
nothing really wrong with my old Whirlpool gas range, but I'm tired of it not having a real low heat burner.
Went down to buy a new range hood, and wound up buying that and a new stove.
This one is a Maytag 5 burner. Highest BTU burner is 17K, lowest is 5K. Now I will be able to simmer stuff without burning it.
Oven is 5.8 cubic feet, with a top broiler. Should be here in a week. smile
info on stove
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: Bought a new stove - 01/07/14
Sweet! Purdy sure Maytag puts out a good product. Keep us posted on how it works out for ya. I haven't priced a range lately, bet they can get pricey. I always thought a cooktop/range with a griddle incorporated into it would be the berries ... that's just me dreamin' and speakin' out loud though. Congrats on your new cooktop!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Bought a new stove - 01/07/14
I like a gas stove.
Is it natural gas?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Bought a new stove - 01/07/14
Have they made one yet with a stop setting just before the flame goes out when you try to turn it all the way down?
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Bought a new stove - 01/07/14
Come hell or high water Denny is gonna have one of these someday.
http://jennair.com/appliances/details/JDRP430WP

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Bought a new stove - 01/08/14
That cook top is sweet Sam! Just curious, how does the broiler work on a gas oven? Or do they even have one? I couldn't tell from the specs, or maybe I missed it. I have looked at the combo units (gas cook top, electric oven) and have come close to pulling the trigger. I like having a broiler for when the outdoor temps are below zero like they are now.

Mike
Posted By: EdM Re: Bought a new stove - 01/08/14
Nice. Very similar to the one we bought a couple of years ago for the place in Idaho. A low simmer was top of the list. It runs on propane and broils beautifully.
Posted By: fish head Re: Bought a new stove - 01/08/14
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
That cook top is sweet Sam! Just curious, how does the broiler work on a gas oven? Or do they even have one? I couldn't tell from the specs, or maybe I missed it. I have looked at the combo units (gas cook top, electric oven) and have come close to pulling the trigger. I like having a broiler for when the outdoor temps are below zero like they are now.

Mike

I've got a Frigidaire Gallery Series gas range with a gas broiler and it's the best broiler I've ever had ... gas or electric.

One thing though. It doesn't produce the flavors when broiling meat that a grill does. Heat from the bottom allows fat to drizzle, burn, and smoke which infuses the meat with "grilled" flavors. It's the general design that falls short in this respect. If I can't grill outside I prefer to cook a steak in a cast iron skillet vs using the broiler.

With that said is does an excellent job at browning anything. The gas oven works excellent too and is equal to any electric oven I've ever had.

The one thing that I don't like about it is the large 17,000 BTU stove top burner only produces a flame on the outside edge of the burner. It's a large ring and it heats the edges of a skillet very well but there's no flame in the center. It works well, it gets real hot real quick, and the heat spreads evenly except when you use a wok. The flame/heat travels up the sides and doesn't flow from the center/bottom.

I'm not pushing the Frigidaire brand either. These are just general comments on a "modern" gas range/oven.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bought a new stove - 01/08/14
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I like a gas stove.
Is it natural gas?
yep, natural
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bought a new stove - 01/08/14
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

Mike

Mike, the sales dude said it has a top broiler. I did not have a floor model to look at, but he said I would be well satisfied
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Bought a new stove - 01/09/14
When you get it installed, and fired up, post some cooking.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bought a new stove - 01/09/14
yeppers, I'll do that. I am really interested in the low BTU burner.
Posted By: fish head Re: Bought a new stove - 01/09/14
I'm curious ...

What will you use low BTU burner for and why the interest in it?
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bought a new stove - 01/09/14
Originally Posted by fish head
I'm curious ...

What will you use low BTU burner for and why the interest in it?

my current gas range does not have a low BTU burner. Lowest is, I believe, 9000BTU.
This means I cannot simmer, burner just wont turn down far enough. Rice, sauces, vegetables, either burn, or I have to use a gizmo called a Simmer Pad, to cook at low temps. Even then, I have to watch the pot constantly.
With a 5000BTU burner, I can throttle the heat down, where I won't be ruining my sauces, or burn the rice.
Posted By: fish head Re: Bought a new stove - 01/09/14
That would be a problem.

My stove has a 5000 BTU simmer burner and it goes loooow. It produces so little heat in such a small area that I rarely use it. It will melt butter and never burn it.

"my current gas range does not have a low BTU burner. Lowest is, I believe, 9000BTU.
This means I cannot simmer, burner just wont turn down far enough."

^^^ That's a defective design.

My stove has 9500 and 10000 BTU burners that go low enough to not burn anything. You have to turn the 9500 up just to get it to simmer and both have to be turned up to cook rice.

I'd be willing to bet your new stove won't have the problems your old one has even with the standard burners.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Bought a new stove - 01/10/14
I've been shopping stoves to 36" duel fuel $$$$....dam! and the mirohood (microwave and hood in one) > 1000.00 ...I hate Champagne taste on a beer budget.....
Posted By: DesertSandman Re: Bought a new stove - 01/13/14
Any of you fellers ever use a heat diffuser on your cooktops? They do a great job to keep what your cooking from scorching. Lots of designs to choose from.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00012K5P2
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bought a new stove - 01/14/14
I have used a Simmer Mat for some time now. Tired of having to use it.

http://simmermat.com/index.html
Posted By: Pugs Re: Bought a new stove - 01/14/14
When we did the remodel we put in a Fisher/Paykel CDU-304 cooktop. 3000 - 15,000 btu and can simmer down to 140 degrees. I've been very pleased with it. With the old cooktop I found myself stacking burner grates, not exactly safe!

http://www.dcsappliances.com/product/indoor/cooktops/?productuid=0C2BA106-EB9E-8441-B109C449EF739237

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bought a new stove - 01/18/14
finally got the range and hood in. Picked them up yesterday, and installed them this morning. Hood was a PITA. Parts missing....
Went to Home Depot and bought another, will take the defective one back to HH Gregg tomorrow.
Stove is nice. The 17,000 BTU burner really gets a pot of pasta water going much quicker than the old stove. That one had a max of 11,000 BTU.
First thing I fixed today was beanie weanies. laugh
Posted By: fish head Re: Bought a new stove - 01/20/14
Did you let the beanie weanies simmer on the 5000 BTU burner?

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bought a new stove - 01/20/14
absofuckinglutly
Posted By: rob p Re: Bought a new stove - 01/24/14
I worked for a guy who was a stove dealer growing up. He restored antique stoves and was also a Viking dealer. He had a $5K stove in his house that was always having problems. They had a single pilot light right in the middle of the stove that would light off all the burners.... or not. The gas ovens thermostats were here and there too. Big money, so so stoves. I hope they are better now. I remember the Jen Air stoves catching fire too. The grease trap for the grill would go up and burn your house down. When I got my house I bought a GE Profile series 30 stove. A gas top and convection electric oven. They list for $2K but I paid $1700 and it's a wonderful stove. I'm looking for a induction electric stove for my Mom and Aunts right now. For safety sake. They are $2K and up too! Another interesting bit I've installed a few microwaves as hoods over ranges and taking down the old ones, I always check out the squirrel cage fan to see if it was installed right. They come set up for exhaust. You flip it to recirculate through and back out the microwave. A lot of them aren't in the right position when I pull them out. I'm of a mind to replace my Mom's too because it is slowing down. It's time to go and do some wheeling and dealing down the local appliance stores. The Maytag induction is $500 CHEAPER at the local appliance store than it is at Home Depot. They give the 10% off appliances once in a while but it's still about $250 more. I know my Brother did his whole kitchen with Maytag and saved thousands. Rebates, incentives, and some dealing with the local appliance store. Heck, I grew up in an appliance store. My Uncle owned Gizzarelli Electric here. He sold Zenith and General Electric... Remember those guys. When was the last time you saw a Zenith appliance?
Posted By: CLEANDEAN Re: Bought a new stove - 01/24/14
Gizzarelli what a fine , unique Italian name.
Zenith apliances.... all those ZZ's
That would would be a lucky, omen... natural Feng Shui.
© 24hourcampfire