Home
Posted By: MadMooner Brisket Rub - 06/02/14
What's your favorite brisket rub?

Just S&P? Something with a little kick? Sugar or no?

I've read some here like the Dizzy Pig and Grub Rub products.

Home blends?
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Brisket Rub - 06/02/14
salt pepper paprika with some raw sugar all good

GR is good
Posted By: smokepole Re: Brisket Rub - 06/02/14
S&P, paprika, garlic powder.
Posted By: fish head Re: Brisket Rub - 06/02/14
I've posted this in the past and it's worth a repeat ...

Here's a homemade dry rub that I got from "How to Grill" by Steven Raichlen. It's become a staple in my kitchen.

1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika
3 tablespoons black pepper
3 tablespoons course salt
1 tablespoon hickory smoked salt or more course salt (with a tiny bit of liquid smoke)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons celery seeds
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

This makes about one cup but it's so good I double it when making a batch. I use a recycled parmesan cheese shaker top container to store it in. From the book ...

"OK, this is ground zero - the ur American barbeque rub. Use it on ribs, pork shoulders, chickens - anything you want to taste like American barbeque."

It's really good on steaks and xtra thick porkchops too.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Brisket Rub - 06/02/14
My favorite is Dizzy Pig Cowlick and a light sprinkling of kosher salt, but Aaron Franklin has made a fortune cooking brisket and uses a 50/50 salt and pepper mix. It's best not to over complicate brisket IMO.

Mike
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Brisket Rub - 06/02/14
Mike that 50/50 rub is my Mom's brisket legacy we've been enjoying that for 50 yrs although she adds a few teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce and garlic salt.
Posted By: DIYguy Re: Brisket Rub - 06/02/14
After making brisket for some time I find less importance in the rub and more in the mop sauce and the smoking time and temps. Also fat cap down vs up. Any ole rub will work just fine and ods are you will never taste it but you will tase the mop sauce and the smoke.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Brisket Rub - 06/02/14
Rudy's Rub from the various Rudy's BBQ joints across central TX. You can probably order it online. We put it on everything, but goes really well with brisket.
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: Brisket Rub - 06/02/14
Whatever Dan (dvdgeorge) puts on his....

that's some freakin' great brisket....
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Brisket Rub - 06/02/14
I like Chupacabra rub.It's great on brisket.
http://2gringossalsa.com/store.html
Posted By: LFD Re: Brisket Rub - 06/02/14
I second Rudy's Rub Best I ever used. He uses oak wood I think it's the best
Posted By: deflave Re: Brisket Rub - 06/03/14
http://www.grubrub.com/

http://billsseasoning.com/

http://shop.tonychachere.com/original-creole-seasoning-8-oz-p-21714.html

Travis
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Brisket Rub - 06/03/14
Originally Posted by LFD
I second Rudy's Rub Best I ever used. He uses oak wood I think it's the best

Oak is great for brisket. I use several oak chunks and one chunk of cherry to darken the bark.

Mike
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Brisket Rub - 06/03/14
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not pictured, brown and natural/raw sugar.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Brisket Rub - 06/03/14
My that does look good.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Brisket Rub - 06/03/14
Nicely done Sean!! That'll make a turd! wink grin

Mike

Really though....just beautiful!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Brisket Rub - 06/03/14
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Whatever Dan (dvdgeorge) puts on his....

that's some freakin' great brisket....
wink
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Brisket Rub - 06/03/14
A smiley? All ya post is a smiley?!?

Come on man! Post up your rub!!! Ain't no secrets 'round here!
Posted By: TexasTBag Re: Brisket Rub - 06/03/14
For some reason I like to keep brisket simple. Salt and pepper and inject with beef stock. I like a lot of smoke on my brisket.

Posted By: DIYguy Re: Brisket Rub - 06/03/14
Originally Posted by TexasTBag
For some reason I like to keep brisket simple. Salt and pepper and inject with beef stock. I like a lot of smoke on my brisket.

I agree. After doing a lot of brisket I soon learned the folly of fretting over the rub. (go for it if it floats your boat) The mop sauce and smoke is where the flavor and tenderness comes from. Still its fun to experiment with various rubs while pretending it means something.
I just used a simple blend of S&P with a little Louisiana Cajun seasoning and a little raw sugar.

Rubs ain't everything, but then, ain't any amount of smoke or mop gonna make a chitty piece of meat, cooked poorly, come out tender. It'll just season it, kinda like a rub.

Originally Posted by MadMooner
Rubs ain't everything, but then, ain't any amount of smoke or mop gonna make a chitty piece of meat, cooked poorly, come out tender. It'll just season it, kinda like a rub.

Not true. I suggest you may have not smoked enough briskets then. Vinegar based mop sauce does tenderize the meat fibers as does time spent in the smoker (low and slow). That�s the reason for the two, to make the meat tender. A rub (most contain mostly salts) dry and toughen meat rather than tenderize.

Some of this and some of this and some of that!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by DIYguy

Not true. I suggest you may have not smoked enough briskets then. Vinegar based mop sauce does tenderize the meat fibers as does time spent in the smoker (low and slow). That�s the reason for the two, to make the meat tender. A rub (most contain mostly salts) dry and toughen meat rather than tenderize.

Your close, but not quite there. Salt can dry out meat, it can also keep it moist and help tenderize and season it. Just like smoke.

It's okay. Your not the first to be confused.
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Some of this and some of this and some of that!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Whoo dilly!

Hope you mopped it.
Mop shmot...put in on the smoker and don't open the lid till it's done...moist and tender!
Nice!
Your close, but not quite there. Salt can dry out meat, it can also keep it moist and help tenderize and season it. Just like smoke.
It's okay. Your not the first to be confused.

LOL. Nice try. (almost) grin

Ive done enough brisket in my lifetime to know the facts. Give it time, you will get there.
All those briskets and your still trying to figure it out? I'd suggest laying off the Grain Belt and not listening to all those backwards Wisconsinites.

If ya ain't careful, they'll have ya eating lutefisk and fishing through a little hole in the ice.

Keep trying.....it's never too late!

I would rather just keep doing. I havent had the need to "try" in some time. Brisket is pretty simple and straight forward. After you get a few under your belt you will understand and follow sage advice when you get it. I like helping out the newbs. Your welcome. grin
Posted By: byc Re: Brisket Rub - 06/03/14
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Mop shmot...put in on the smoker and don't open the lid till it's done...moist and tender!

Yup and yup!!
Posted By: Tim M Re: Brisket Rub - 06/03/14
This is what i use.

2 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sweet basil
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon ground savory
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 table spoons Kosher salt

rub it down with yellow mustard and then a heavy coat of rub. let it sit in the fridge for a few hours then smoke at 240-250 till it gets the color you want then foil till it hits either 195 for slicing or 205-210 for shredding/pulling. Pull it out still in the foil and then into a cooler for at least 2-3 (up to 5 or 6 if needed)
Posted By: eh76 Re: Brisket Rub - 06/03/14
If you rub your brisket too much you will go blind wink I use salt and pepper or just the dizzy pig cowlick. Ymmv
Posted By: sse Re: Brisket Rub - 06/04/14
Never done a brisket, but I'm a real fan of these products: Texas BBQ Rub

Pretty much, I use only Dizzy Pig and this brand.
© 24hourcampfire