Home
Like those sardines!

Anyone use the tiny fish?
Bait, all bait - turned to mush and ruined by heat. grin
sick not for me
I'll trade you my oatmeal raisin cookie for sardines John.
I love sardines and anchovies, kippers and smoked mullet. Wife does not appreciate them, so I head to the garage for my fishy snacks. smile
In mustard sauce, on butter bread. Only one in my house that will eat them and even I think they stink wink
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Like those sardines!

Anyone use the tiny fish?

Hovering over the ignore button,.... gag !!!
smoked sprats are the best
You can lead some to water but they won't drink. Yes to all of them. My larder is full of little cans of flavor. Peanut butter and King Oscars in oil on rye bread with a slice of onion are a lunch. Kipper snacks are just that snacks. Anchovies on pizza yea baby, Pickled herring and crackers an appetizer. Blind robins and beer, wished I still could enjoy
I'll trade you my oatmeal raisin cookie for sardines John.

I'd even gladly make the trade! smile
NO! And the canned smoked oysters...YUK!

Ranks right down there with potted meat. sick
Yuummm! Certain dishes Must have liquified anchovies to make the proper sauce.

Sardines and kippered herring are great, in oil, in mustard, in tomato sauce, peppered................

I love 'em all.
Oh yeah! Any canned fishies in Louisiana hot sauce or mustard. Kippered snacks, Squid in seasoned red sauce and smoked octopus rank right up there too. Gobble down a can or two, makes yer sticker peck out! wink

Man, thinkin about this is makin me hungry!
"There's no accounting for taste," said the woman when told that her son was wanted by the police.
Try a little very finely chopped sweet onion and mayo in mashed sardines.
Yes
[Linked Image]
Yes
[Linked Image]

And......uh
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by pal
Try a little very finely chopped sweet onion and mayo in mashed sardines.

Hurl city!! I see nightmares now. eek

I bet you guys even use Miracle Whip huh?
and beans
Originally Posted by byc
NO! And the canned smoked oysters...YUK!

Ranks right down there with potted meat. sick

my favorite is the Kippered Herrings, drained, the can topped off with my Mango Madness hot sauce, and devoured with gherkins and Nabisco Saltines. Beer chaser.

David, that Potted meat imitation food product is damned good. Again, eat with pickles and Saltines.
Damn, if you don't eat potted dog and sardines, what the hell keeps you going during hunting season?

Beer, potted dog, sardines, hoop cheese and Texas Pete are the 5 major food groups.
You need a 6 pack of saltines to crush and soak up all the sardine/hot sauce juice.

Makes it easier to scoop out.

Later, when it percolates, and the buzzards circle, thinking they have located a meal, the coyotes usually slip in and you can knock down one or two.
Like anchovies, herring ,caviar.
Love anchovy stuffed olives in a Jewel of Russia vodka martini.
Not many fence straddler' in this group.

I had not even got around to jack mackerel.
Anchovies in oil with finely chopped garlic , sweet onions , and parsley . Combine that with a crusty baguette and a hunk of Asiago.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
[Linked Image]

Same face the wife makes for a few days after I eat a batch.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Bait, all bait - turned to mush and ruined by heat. grin

This^^^^^^
I wonder if I poked some holes in the can and used it for snapping turtles if it would be better than chicken livers or just cause a mass exodus from the pond.

I do draw the line there. There are some places I won't go crazy
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I love sardines and anchovies, kippers and smoked mullet.

"Hey Vern, what are these minners doin' on my pizza...?"
Anchovies on pizza are good!
Kippered Herrings &smoked oysters rule! yum! on the other hand Anchovies suk donkey dick for beer money ...yuk
Love Herring filets in Louisiana hot sauce, green chili, lemon, and the peppered.

I don't do the whole fish with guts like sardines and such. sick
Never found "guts" in any of the sardines or sprats I have bought.
Back in '83, on one of our trips to Cedar Key, I bought 10lbs. of smoked mullet.

We got home and work was screaming for me. We remembered the mullet in the trunk of the new Crown Vic. After about 3 months I gave up and traded it in.

laugh laugh but UGH !!! at the same time.
One might think we were talking about blue cheese with all the disparaging comments!
Have not seen the guts in sardines in years. They used to be whole little fish. Now the ones we get are cross sliced larger fish. I think this stuff is like liver. If you do not like it, you really dont like it. Has anyone tried the different flavored sardines that Aldis's sell. Cant remember all the types but there was a spicy mango that was really good.
One might think we were talking about blue cheese with all the disparaging comments!

Whats wrong with bleu cheese?
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Have not seen the guts in sardines in years. They used to be whole little fish. Now the ones we get are cross sliced larger fish. I think this stuff is like liver. If you do not like it, you really dont like it. Has anyone tried the different flavored sardines that Aldis's sell. Cant remember all the types but there was a spicy mango that was really good.

Nope try these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H4SEZS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FDM5IE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Nothing, if you like that sort of cheese.

It ain't my cup of tea, but enjoy if you like!
A Saltine heaped with sardine in Louisiana hot sauce topped with crumbles of Maytag Blue cheese.......MMMMM MMMMMM! The seafood equivalent of Buffalo wings!
Anybody like these? If so you're a better man than I!

[Linked Image]
King Oscar Cod Liver
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
Back in '83, on one of our trips to Cedar Key, I bought 10lbs. of smoked mullet.

We got home and work was screaming for me. We remembered the mullet in the trunk of the new Crown Vic. After about 3 months I gave up and traded it in.

I am the guy that taught those rednecks how to make decent smoked mullet dip. smile
Nothing, if you like that sort of cheese.

It ain't my cup of tea, but enjoy if you like!

You obviously haven't had really good bleu cheese...forget that Kraft crap.
Too close for comfort, back in 68 mind you, Shudder!

The best chum recipe around has jack mackerel.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm

I am the guy that taught those rednecks how to make decent smoked mullet dip. smile

I bet it was good! Phuggin bragger. smile
Saw that at the bottom of the earlier link. Old time doc told my mom to give me cod liver oil for dry skin. That damn stuff has to be tasted to be believed. Can not imagine eating that without being forced.
No. Used 'em to catch striped bass and sturgeon in the Sacramento River growing up. My elk hunting pard has a can of fish of some sort of fish and a can of stewed tomatoes in his fanny pack for lunch each day. Sick [bleep].
Canned smoked salmon is the only way to go
On the radio this morning:

[Linked Image]

Korea has its Gochujang. Mexico has its Achiote. But, what does one ask for when seeking a hot chili condiment in the Maghreb? The magic word is Harissa. Trader Joe’s Sardines in Harissa brings together two classic Northwest African foods in one can.

Wild caught sardines, harvested in the Mediterranean off the coast of Tunisia, are some of the best we’ve tasted. These large (for sardines) fish are packed in soy oil and Harissa. Our chili paste is made from a traditional recipe, consisting of fresh red hot chili peppers, garlic, coriander, caraway, and salt.

[Linked Image]

I would like to try those.
Polar and Brunswick Kipper snacks are the bomb. I eat two-four cans a day.

Loves anchovies. Especially on pizza. The more salt, the better.

Travis
Count me in with a cracker in my hand.
I like pickled herring, northern, sunfish, etc. I don't mind the sardines, oysters, etc., but I don't understand what the fuss is about. I prefer tuna or salmon in that order if canned fish is on the menu.
© 24hourcampfire