Home
Posted By: ironbender Pork! - 04/02/15
Local groceteria has whole loins for $2.29/lb. and shoulders (2-packs) for $1.79/lb.

Got me some.

How are your prices?
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Pork! - 04/02/15
Originally Posted by ironbender
Local groceteria has whole loins for $2.29/lb. and shoulders (2-packs) for $1.79/lb.

Got me some.

How are your prices?

About the same. lol
Posted By: byc Re: Pork! - 04/02/15
Bought a half loin yesterday.....$2.99 lb in Northern Virginia. I believe they were about a buck per lb cheaper in SC.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Pork! - 04/02/15
I remember the good ol' days of getting shoulders for $0.89/lb!

Not all that long ago.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Pork! - 04/02/15
Heard an add on the radio for ground pork $2.99/lb. Need to pick up some variety or other as I've been having the hankering to make pork buns.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Pork! - 04/02/15
Picked up 80lbs of belly for 2.39. Bacon on the way.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Pork! - 04/02/15

Got me some.

How are your prices?

Fugg,

Canadian RURAL price comparison :

Pork tenderloin $14.99 a kilo ='s $6.81 per lb
Pork Butts, or shoulders $9.90 a kilo =s $4.50 per lb
Pork Loins $12.99 a kilo =s $5.90 per lb

& to make matters worse, our $ has devalued 20% against the $US !
Posted By: eh76 Re: Pork! - 04/03/15

Got me some.

How are your prices?

Shoulders are $2.29 per pound here..
Posted By: byc Re: Pork! - 04/03/15
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Got me some.

How are your prices?

Fugg,

WOW! Not sure how far you are from the border but do you ever cross it to shop? Actually, I suppose the cost of fuel is high as well huh?
Posted By: Otter Re: Pork! - 04/03/15
I remember the good ol' days of getting shoulders for $0.89/lb!

Not all that long ago.

^ ^ ^ or $0.75/lb . . . also not that long ago. Pork butt season is upon us . . . gotta go get some!
Posted By: Ron_T Re: Pork! - 04/03/15
I picked up a pork loin roast for $2.49 a pound yesterday at the little meat shoppe where I buy most of my meats.

I've mostly stopped buying beef cuts since their prices have gone through the roof. I can "live" with pork, chicken and fish until the beef prices come back down (if they ever do).

However, I did "relent" and buy 2 pounds of very lean (10% fat) ground chuck at a ridiculous $4.89 a pound for makin' beef burgers. There's nuthin' like a good hamburger with a thin slice of onion and lotsa mustard & ketchup on a BIG sesame seed bun to cure the "hungries"! smile

I "pattied" the individual 'burgers out between small sheets of waxed paper and stuck 'em in a Zip-Lok baggie and put 'em in the freezer for later use. (YUM!!!) grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Posted By: eh76 Re: Pork! - 04/03/15
75% burger here is $3.99 a pound ...fuggem they can keep it
Posted By: byc Re: Pork! - 04/03/15
Ron try ground pork burgers. I feel they're better tasting than beef burgers and at about half-2/3rd's the cost for 85/15 a bargain IMO!!

Just don't serve them at rare temps!! eek
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Pork! - 04/06/15
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Got me some.

How are your prices?

Fugg,

WOW! Not sure how far you are from the border but do you ever cross it to shop? Actually, I suppose the cost of fuel is high as well huh?

2 hours north of International Falls, & we do go reasonably regularly, also 4 hours east of Winnipeg. We give Costco in Winnipeg a workout, every time we go !

Prices are roughly half there !

Bought whole pork loins there this weekend for $5.89 per kilo, or $2.68/lb.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pork! - 04/06/15
Is there anything more tasteless than pork loin roast?
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Pork! - 04/06/15
Don't know, we rarely ever roast the loins.

Favourite is cut 2 fingers thick, season with your favourites, sear in smoking hot cast iron pan, finish in 300* over for 4-5 minutes, rest for 5 minutes under tented foil & eat !

Current fav's = S&P, + either adobe chilli rub, French creole rub, or smoked paprika !
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Pork! - 04/07/15
Pretty close to regular prices here. Got whole loins a few weeks ago at $1.79 on sale, haven't seen shoulders below $.99 in a year and a half.

Yours are better prices than I would expect for AK.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Pork! - 04/07/15
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Pretty close to regular prices here. Got whole loins a few weeks ago at $1.79 on sale, haven't seen shoulders below $.99 in a year and a half.

Yours are better prices than I would expect for AK.

The store this was in is known for their pork. Locally owned IGA store.

Safeway and Fredgy Meyer; not so much.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Pork! - 04/07/15
one local owned grocery store had whole loins on sale last month for .99 a pound. stocked up,i run a few thru my hobart cuber. its great cubed for sandwiches lighty floured and fried or in gravy.i buy boston butts thru a friend that has a meat cutting/deer processing business at his cost which is usually 1.00-125.00lb.
Posted By: mikeymjr23 Re: Pork! - 04/09/15
Was home in Jamestown NY last weekend, and went to Save a Lot...

Pork Loin, cut into chops was $.99/lb! Got me a 9lb pack and then proceeded to vacuum seal it up.

Also got "Country Style Ribs" for $1.79/lb at the same store.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Pork! - 04/10/15
country style ribs are boston butts cut into strips.
Posted By: tjk Re: Pork! - 04/10/15
Thanks for posting that, srw. I did not know that , but both are my favorites for either slow roasted or pulled pork.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Pork! - 04/11/15
Try roasting those country ribs in the oven with some good BBQ sauce, onion, and fresh herbs. I do them in a big oval corningware, but I'm sure a roast pan with a top or foiled would work, too, if you had to feed a bigger bunch.

That, and a big bowl of smashed taters with roasted garlic, fresh parsley, and shallots will take care of the hungries. smile
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Pork! - 04/12/15
Sunday dinner today pork loin with applewood bacon

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pork! - 04/12/15
Originally Posted by srwshooter
country style ribs are boston butts cut into strips.

Got some of those cooking low and slow as we speak..... grin
Posted By: AggieDog Re: Pork! - 04/15/15
Speaking of pork, my wife made a pork chili recipe for dinner and it was pretty decent....
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Pork! - 04/15/15
I'm not a huge pork fan, except for bacon. But sometime I crave pork chops fried in an old Iron Skillet served with home made French fries and white gravy and homemade biscuits. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Speaking of meat prices, I buy all of my steaks at Sam's. The US Certified Black Angus fillet prices have really gone through the roof in the last year! But it still beats the hell out of paying $45 bucks at a good steak house!
Posted By: AggieDog Re: Pork! - 04/15/15
Amen Brother! Id much rather stay home, bbq my steaks, or what ever else, and chill. Must be my age...........
Posted By: ironbender Re: Pork! - 04/23/15
Just got another 2-pack at $1.49 this time.

Thinking of slicing into country ribs.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Pork! - 04/23/15
swine is fine. I like pig, in all it's permutations. Fatback, bacon, ribs, chops, tenderloins, trotters, pork belly................ bring it on. laugh
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Pork! - 04/25/15
bought 173lbs of boston butts a few days ago. i'm sticking a few in the freezer for later but most of it is getting ground into sausage on monday. i sell off a 100lbs or so in sausage to my buddies and get all of mine free.great price on boston butts this time at 1.25 per pound.nice size most ran 9lbs or so.i'm trying breakfast links this time. i usually just do patties.
© 24hourcampfire