Home
Posted By: eh76 Cooking bacon - 05/13/15
Someone mentioned BLT's the other day. Made some tonight. Cooked bacon several ways... frying pan, oven..always a mess in the house. My solution....on the gas grill wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Cooking bacon - 05/13/15
Works for me..good idea
Posted By: eh76 Re: Cooking bacon - 05/13/15
Funny thang is it doesn't curl up like in a frying pan. And my house doesn't smell like bacon for days.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Cooking bacon - 05/13/15
I like that idea, too. Doesn't make a mess of the cooktop.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Cooking bacon - 05/13/15
oven for me .....but when I use my bbq .I hate to waste charcoal some after supper I toss on a couple packs of frozen bacon = even more smoke and done in the morning I get up an toss them in a zip lock smile works best in winter cooked froze done !
Posted By: Pete E Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
Ever tried microwaving bacon? It works surprisingly well....
Posted By: milespatton Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
Ever tried microwaving bacon? It works surprisingly well...

It does and there are several "pans" for that purpose. My Mother used to use the broiler on Her electric stove. She could look and take it off exactly right. The light from the wires made it look different to me and I could not judge it while still in the oven, like She could. miles
Posted By: milespatton Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
Forgot where I was going with that. She had a rack with a pan under it so that She could catch the grease and pour it into a vessel that looked like a coffee pot, but was made for bacon grease. miles
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
Originally Posted by eh76
Funny thang is it doesn't curl up like in a frying pan. And my house doesn't smell like bacon for days.

Funny....I cook bacon in the house so it does smell that way. When I die I want to be cremated with 10 pounds of applewood smoked bacon! grin

Mike
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
There isn't a smell that I like better than bacon cooking in my kitchen!

Love the lingering smells all day.

Virgil B.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
Originally Posted by eh76
(sic)

And my house doesn't smell like bacon for days.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
When the 'maters are going heavy, my grill will get a work out keeping the bacon cooked for sandwiches. I haven't ever put them on foil, always just on the racks, but its a workout keeping the flares down.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
when I was in the restaurant biz, oven cooking the bacon was a standard thing to do.
Now days, I prefer a cast iron skillet, and an open fire. smile
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
Sam what is that fire pit?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

Uber!
Posted By: chris_c Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
Cooking for a bunch I use the oven, double oven in the garage so I can keep the smell in the garage. If its just the two of us I use the cast iron fry pan.
Got a couple of these for Christmas last year. They didn't last long!

[Linked Image]

Not sure why I didn't think of it years ago.

Mike
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

I think it was part of an industrial tire rim.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
We use an old Tractor wheel rim for our big fire ring at the Ranch.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
Once you go candied bacon, it's hard to turn back......
Posted By: Ella Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
That is badass. I want one when I retire.

Ella
For my own self, I'll just fry it in a CI skillet.

When my wife cooks the bacon, she will use the oven on broil and the bacon strips on top of a wire rack.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
Try the gas grill like I did Mike. It worked well and cleanup was easy peasey.
I'll get her on that, pronto!
I don't own a gasser Keith.

Mike

Posted By: eh76 Re: Cooking bacon - 05/14/15
shocked that bge will work...done it on my bge too. Gasser was just convenient. wink
Posted By: Pete E Re: Cooking bacon - 05/15/15
I have to say the quality of the bacon varies a lot over here. If I buy it at a supermarket, I find I get a lot of water given off during the cooking and also a white "scum" appears over the bacon.

These days I tend to spend a bit more and get traditional dry cure bacon and it is much better...
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Cooking bacon - 05/15/15
Couldn't agree more Pete !

Commercial bacon here is da schitz, too.
Posted By: selmer Re: Cooking bacon - 05/17/15
Over a fire in cast iron is ALWAYS the best. However, with three kids running around, popping it in the oven on a cast iron flat griddle in a rimmed cookie sheet is a close second. I don't have to flip it, no spattering grease to burn kids, and I just have to open the door quick to evaluate the progress. My wife prefers it this way, particularly because it gets crispy without burning it and their is just a nice hint of bacon cooking rather than the full-on assault that makes the coats and everything else in the house smell like bacon for days. If making it for burgers, I put it on the grill, right on the grate until finished, and then put it on the burgers to keep it from burning.
© 24hourcampfire