Home
Posted By: ironbender Freezing Rhubarb - 06/01/15
I have 'about' three plants that are growing faster than I can use it.

I've frozen cut pieces before. They always get soft and lose structure.

Is there a better way to freeze rhubarb?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/01/15
Am I the only rhubarb fan? I want to have rhubarb available when it doesn't grow.

Can/should it be blanched?
Posted By: eh76 Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/01/15
http://www.rhubarb-central.com/freezing-rhubarb.html smile
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/01/15
Mine froze last nite ,,mid 20's last nite at 3am the rest of my plants too, frown
Posted By: EdM Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/01/15
We blanch all veggies we want to freeze. Just did a load of green beans yesterday.

The preferred method in the link is the way I freeze rhubarb. I guess I was doing it right!

thanks.
Posted By: SamSteele Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/01/15
What are you using it for? We just chop and freeze and then use for pies and jams. Use to make a concoction using it and applesauce. Simmer on the stove until broken down and then serve over ice cream.

SS
I stew it on occasion, but usually it goes into pie or cobbler.
Posted By: bucktail Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/01/15
You'll always lose some firmness when you freeze it. Gooseberries are even worse, but it's better than not having anything over the winter. I think it freezes better if you bake whatever you're going to make and freeze it, but then you're baking in the summer and taking up more freezer space.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/02/15
The stuff grows wild around my place but I'm not much for sweets so it gets whacked up with the weed eater unless someone wants some,,,, which isn't very often.

Posted By: sse Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/02/15

the pie I showed in my ribs thread is the rhubarb crumble top pie recipe from that web site (with a smidgen of cinnamon and nutmeg). it's good
Posted By: ironbender Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/02/15
Originally Posted by sse

the pie I showed in my ribs thread is the rhubarb crumble top pie recipe from that web site (with a smidgen of cinnamon and nutmeg). it's good

that's a good looking pie. I have always made a two-crust rhubarb pie, though. I'll have to try that topping version.

If you want more production, may I suggest several shovelsful of manure and more water on you rhubarb plant?

It needs three things to grow well: sun, water, organic matter.

Posted By: patbrennan Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/02/15
Excess rhubarb makes a pretty decent wine also, I make "some" every year. It takes me a while to grow tired of rhubarb pies and crisps though!
Posted By: sse Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/02/15
That rhubarb plant was only a foot tall two years ago. The soil is decent (clay loam) so I don't bother with manure.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/04/15
Originally Posted by sse

Talked my son into making this pie a couple days ago. Tasty!
Posted By: sse Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/04/15
i'm makin' another tomorrow
Posted By: sse Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/05/15
took today's pie over to a bud's for lunch. not much left. better than the first one, sweet, yet nice and tart. I wonder if a little chopped walnuts would go good in the crumble topping? Unless i can get some fresh rhubarb at the market, I won't know until next season, that big plant was good for just two pies.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/05/15
Well, I told you how to get more out of it!

Mine is growing like karazy.
Posted By: sse Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/05/15
oh whaddya u know
Posted By: ironbender Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/06/15
Not a lot, but I can grow the hell outta rhubarb!
Posted By: sse Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/06/15
but I can grow the hell outta rhubarb!

so ya got that goin' for ya...

[video:youtube]pBWcRqPesws[/video]
Posted By: ironbender Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 06/06/15
Don't be a rhubarb hater!

Gonna make an apple-barb something tomorrow, so there!
Posted By: sse Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 07/02/16
Decided to make a rhubarb pie today...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ironbender Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 07/02/16
Very nice!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 07/03/16
what is the topping? I always use a regular lattice pastry on mine.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 07/03/16
That pie looks good, but I am in the haters group. Maybe its a regional recipe thing, but any rhubarb I have had was very tart, no noticable sweet.
Posted By: sse Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 07/03/16
Thanks mindbender...

Sam, It's just a crumble style, rolled oats, brown sugar, little bit of flour, butter...was wondering if walnuts would enhance it as well, as would do with an apple pie...didn't try it.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
That pie looks good, but I am in the haters group. Maybe its a regional recipe thing, but any rhubarb I have had was very tart, no noticable sweet.

Pity...Never considered it an acquired taste thing...rhubarb is a uniquely delectable treat.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 07/03/16
For you rhubarb growers, how do you harvest your crop? Selective cutting or clear cut? I've always just thinned the patch thinking it needed some leaves to keep the roots growing. Last year my niece picked my parents old patch and she picked it clean. I thought it might damage the plants but the second growth came back even better than the first. Maybe I've been doing it wrong?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 07/03/16
The plant puts out shoots from the crown, so one can harvest as needed or take it all. It'll make more.

I pull the stalks, I don't cut them although cutting is not a problem.

The self-proclaimed overlord of rhubarb speaketh.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 07/03/16
Always make a point to enjoy the better part of a strawberry-rhubarb pie at this time of the year....
Posted By: ironbender Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 07/05/16
smile
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 07/05/16
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Pity...Never considered it an acquired taste thing...rhubarb is a uniquely delectable treat.

Yes it is !

See you talking about apple/Rhubarb & have had it & is good too.

My all time favourite is from a tiny service station, about 3 hours drive from here. Family run & everything is "homemade". Their strawberry rhubarb pie is to die for !
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Freezing Rhubarb - 07/05/16
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Always make a point to enjoy the better part of a strawberry-rhubarb pie at this time of the year....

Beat me to it !

smile
© 24hourcampfire