Home
Why is it when ground pork is used as an ingredient. e.g. in dressing, that it is referred to as 'sausage' and the dressing referred to as 'sausage dressing'...?

Inquiring minds...
BTFOM ! laugh
I'd just make a guess that seasoning turns ground pork into sausage, so?
To my way of thinking, it's not sausage unless it has been seasoned and cured. That could be just salt and sitting overnight. Otherwise it's just ground pork.
But nobody uses seasoned cured meat for their sausage dressing, do they?
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
BTFOM ! laugh

Don't know the meaning of that either
I've never seen or tasted un-seasoned ground pork used in dressing/stuffing. Do people do that? If so why? Just for the fat flavor?

Mike

Edited to add I don't know what BTFOM means either.
Beats The Fark Outta Me

Not really fark, of course.
I've never used plain ground pork in stuffing, but I've used a boatload of sausage.
Don't see plain ground pork adding any flavor, unless of course it were seasoned and cured.
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

Edited to add I don't know what BTFOM means either.

Beats the fug outa me.

Put a note on the kitchen door for my handyman,.....

PLEASE KNOCK HARD !!!

tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap,....

FUGGER can't read !!! Gonna be one of those West Virginia kinds days laugh laugh

Super nice guy that has helped me since I moved here. Works like a tank but can't read which is very foreign to me.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I've never used plain ground pork in stuffing, but I've used a boatload of sausage.
Don't see plain ground pork adding any flavor, unless of course it were seasoned and cured.

What kind of sausage do you use in your dressing...I've read alot of dressing recipes and have never seen it specified.
What do you guys mean by dressing in this context?
Stuffing.
JD sage ......and be done with it !
Ground pork is a base for sausage....period 😀
Originally Posted by atvalaska
JD sage ......and be done with it !

That would be my choice...
Originally Posted by mathman
Beats The Fark Outta Me

Not really fark, of course.

Of course. Being a food forum, it's 'fudge'.
I've heard the sausage for stuffing/dressing is often Jimmy Dean type breakfast sausage.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

sse, I don't make my own, so I hit the best Italian Market I have available in my area, Doris' Market. Family owned, family run since 1947.
https://dorismarket.com/market-item/market-home-page/

I use their Italian sausage in most recipes calling for "sausage". They have several different varieties, but I usually stick with Sweet Italian.

Have never used Jimmy Dean for stuffing, but I do like it for breakfast when I'm going that direction.
Not sure I'd wanna stuff a turkey with Italian sausage, but heck who knows...
I don't stuff the turkey with stuffing any more. Made separate. Stuff the turkey cavity with other goodness to flavor the bird.
no stuffa u turkey
Nope. That abyss is home to apples, pears other goodness. Actually, got some good tips on other good stuff to put in there right here last Thanksgiving.
Haven't done so in a few years, but I love seeing the dressing puffing out of the roasted bird, then using a big spoon to excavate the steaming, hot, fluffy dressing from within.
Zactly, Greg. Buddy of mine deep pitted give or take twenty birds Wednesday night. BBQ dry rub, cowboy ketchup on the outside. Pickled jalapeno and onions inside. (and a stick of butter) Double up on the oven bags, foil, burlap, twelve hours in hell.

Very good eats.
Originally Posted by sse
Haven't done so in a few years, but I love seeing the dressing puffing out of the roasted bird, then using a big spoon to excavate the steaming, hot, fluffy dressing from within.

Yes!
© 24hourcampfire