Just found out Easter dinner is here....that means lucky guests get good eats
Planning menu
I have a 6 lb brisket I'll smoke
Shrimp and grits cause some of my family has been asking for it
Stuffed artichokes
Spiral Ham
Others will bring salad,sides and desert
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Easter Dinner - 03/21/16
Still thinking about doing a leg of lamb.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Easter Dinner - 03/21/16
Lamb is traditional but not many fans here
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Easter Dinner - 03/21/16
I don't know how someone can't like lamb, but there are a lot of them.
Same reason people don't like venison they are cute animals
Posted By: EdM Re: Easter Dinner - 03/21/16
Still trying to sort out how many boys will be home. Could be as simple as burgers on the grill or stuffed shells if the elder two can make it. Either way the meal will not make the day/eve/night...
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Easter Dinner - 03/21/16
Dan, how many are you expecting? 40? smile
Na just 13
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Easter Dinner - 03/22/16
Growing up on the east coast leg of lamb was the traditional Easter Dinner. It was always fresh leg of lamb from the butcher shop, never the frozen New Zealand kind. Here in the midwest lamb is almost unheard of and hard to find in the stores. Spiral sliced ham seems to be standard fare here, we go to the wife's family gathering and the man of the house is a hunter so there's always a deer roast and/or deer ribs on the menu.
Posted By: Uglydog2 Re: Easter Dinner - 03/22/16
working and the crew is on a Paleo diet so it looks like ham and probably asparagus with deviled eggs as an appetizer. I'll be pushing hard for a side such as potato salad but will probably be unsuccessful. Depending on what truck I am riding, I might break down and bake a loaf of bread or some rolls for myself. The aroma should tempt the will power of the rest. The fresh doughnuts I left yesterday morning did not last long.

I'm one of those who does not like lamb. What I have had has been greasy and nearly unpalatable once it cooled. I would have blamed it on the cook except I have had it occur with more than one- and a couple of those were highly regarded chefs who had proven themselves to me on other dishes.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Easter Dinner - 03/23/16
Surprises will never cease to amaze me !

I just found, cryovaced, bone in Australian lamb saddles at our local Extra Foods store. Amazingly, the price didn't seem stupid crazy, for here, either @ $22/kg ($10/lb).

Trying to decide on either boning, stuffing & rolling, or just cooking the bone in saddle.
Posted By: boilerpig1 Re: Easter Dinner - 03/23/16
[Linked Image]

The remaining hind quarter of this red pig will be cooked to a fine pulled pork. An apple cider/apple cider vinegar sauce will marinate the red pig. A green & red cabbage coleslaw cut fresh from my garden will compliment the red pig. Sadly a store bought Kaiser roll is the bread for the red pig but it'll do. grin
I would love a Grits & Greens casserole but no one else here likes greens. Sigh..

BP...
Posted By: Owl Re: Easter Dinner - 03/23/16
I think that we're having the ubiquitous easter ham. Probably some fresh asparagus, tater's, salad and who knows what else.
Posted By: super T Re: Easter Dinner - 03/23/16
I think I'll try braise lamb shanks. I agree with Steelhead, what's not to like about lamb. I grew up in Bakersfield, Ca. where's there are several fine Basque restaurants that feature great lamb. There's none better.
Posted By: Owl Re: Easter Dinner - 03/23/16
I love lamb. I lived in northern Nevada for 5 years. LOTS of Basque people there. I've eaten many a fine meal at the Winnemucca Hotel and Martin Hotel in Winnemucca, the Santa Fe in Reno, The Star in Elko. And a few others that are long gone.

I guess that working for the old Southern Pacific RR had it's benefits.
Posted By: boilerpig1 Re: Easter Dinner - 03/23/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I don't know how someone can't like lamb, but there are a lot of them.

I would like to try leg of lamb one day. What's a good size leg? And your recipe for a number one most excellent meal for someone who has never had a leg of lamb. Medium rare I hope. wink

BP...

Posted By: EdM Re: Easter Dinner - 03/23/16
Well my wife is pushing for brisket, potato salad, beans and salad. I am going to head out tomorrow to buy a smoker as I tossed mine in 2004 when we moved to Calgary.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Easter Dinner - 03/23/16
Originally Posted by Owl
I love lamb. I lived in northern Nevada for 5 years. LOTS of Basque people there. I've eaten many a fine meal at the Winnemucca Hotel and Martin Hotel in Winnemucca, the Santa Fe in Reno, The Star in Elko. And a few others that are long gone.

I guess that working for the old Southern Pacific RR had it's benefits.

You must not be a chuckar hunter.......Bruno's in Gerlach....
A good Basque meal and a couple of Picon Punches after a long day in the lava rock.....heaven.....

Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Easter Dinner - 03/24/16
Originally Posted by super T
I think I'll try braise lamb shanks. I agree with Steelhead, what's not to like about lamb. I grew up in Bakersfield, Ca. where's there are several fine Basque restaurants that feature great lamb. There's none better.

Ah, YEAH !

[Linked Image]

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/guinness-lamb-shank/#D7XFMvEJHuRwAFGE.97

Can you say awesome, whilst drooling.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Easter Dinner - 03/25/16
I picked up a ham and a brisket flat today.

I'll do some deviled eggs and some asparagus as well. Not sure what else? Mashers?
Posted By: 300Savage Re: Easter Dinner - 03/26/16
Leg of Lamb for me with some mint jelly, fresh aspargus, and mashed potatoes. Can't wait. Back in the 1950's when I was a kid my grandmother always had lamb for Easter Dinner.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Easter Dinner - 03/27/16
Great dinner with family and friends
Brisket,Ham,Stuffed artichoke,shrimp and applewood cheddar grits

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judman Re: Easter Dinner - 03/27/16
Damn fine lookin groceries ya got there George!! What kinda smoker ya runnin?
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Easter Dinner - 03/27/16
Big Green Egg

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Uglydog2 Re: Easter Dinner - 03/27/16
Almost as predicted, they had ham but broccoli rather than asparagus. Fortunately for me a sick call had me moving to a different station which had young guys unable to plan their own meal. A trip to the grocery store found beef roast on sale. Added the ingredients for a lettuce salad and some baked beans and some pre-made bread dough for buns. Grabbed a can of French onion soup and tossed it in the crock pot with the roast for several hours.

There was a lot less "homemade" than I could have done at the main station but it was better than fast food which is common with the younger guys. I hope even teaching them simple things such as using a crockpot will help them in the future as they will eat cheaper than eating out at least.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Easter Dinner - 03/27/16
[Linked Image]

Probably have a can of Vienna Sausage for desert....
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Easter Dinner - 03/27/16
Nice FG! I've been on a bit of a stout kick myself lately. Been enjoying one made with a bit of Cafe du Monde. A chicory/coffee stout on nitro.

Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Easter Dinner - 03/27/16
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Nice FG! I've been on a bit of a stout kick myself lately. Been enjoying one made with a bit of Cafe du Monde. A chicory/coffee stout on nitro.

I love a good stout/porter and a bowl of English......selections are sparse around here...Deschutes Brewery's stuff is probably the best....just found a place that carries their Obsedion Stout the other day....it's pretty dam good.....
Craft beers are allot more popular over in your neck of the woods so I'm sure you have a better selection...lucky dog...

Hope you had a great Easter....how'd that ham turn out....
Posted By: casper_zip Re: Easter Dinner - 03/29/16
Lamb is way too expensive if ever you can find it in my part of the world. Used to be lots of sheep here, but not anymore. About the only way you can get mutton or lamb, find someone who has them on a small farm.

Personally, I love lamb. Just wish I could find a source easy to get here.

casper_zip
© 24hourcampfire