Home
Posted By: Frm Steak - 05/01/16
What is your favorite cut of steak for grilling? A friend was telling me his favorite . . . a corn fed Hereford chuck eye on the grill. In my experience, grass fed tenderloin is outstanding. The steak I look forward to each year is Black Angus in Winner, SD, during pheasant season . . . Now, some one, please, take me to school on this . .
Posted By: Frm Re: Steak - 05/01/16
OH yeah, what's the best way to grill the steak? Charcoal? Lump coal? Gas grill? Seasonings?
Posted By: milespatton Re: Steak - 05/01/16
Funny how about all you see at the grocery is Black Angus meats. I often wonder who gets to eat the other breeds. Also seems that black baldies, a crossbreed, is always near the top, if not the top in prices at the sale barn, but you never see them mentioned on a package or in advertisement. miles
Posted By: mohick Re: Steak - 05/01/16
Once black ya never go back!!!!!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Steak - 05/01/16
Ribeye is tops...chuck eye is a cheaper alternative,then T Bone/Porterhouse,and bringing up the rear NY strip

Ribeye last night cooked to 125 degrees internal
[Linked Image]
Ribeye is tops...chuck eye is a cheaper alternative,then T Bone/Porterhouse,and bringing up the rear NY strip

I prefer a good porterhouse. Ribeye is more expensive mainly because of demand, not because it is better. Practicing Jewish people only eat off the front end of a beef. The rear half is not Kosher. miles
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Steak - 05/01/16
I ain't jewish and a ribeye has more fat and marbling than a porterhouse and it's not demand you can buy which ever cut you prefer.Jews don't eat pork either so no more,ribs and pork butt,screw that noise!
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Steak - 05/01/16
Ribeye for me, marinate in teriyaki and add sea salt and coarse ground black pepper before they go on the grill. I grill over charcoal, 5-7 min. to a side depending on thickness. I like to make a sandwich with mine from time to time adding a slice of pepper jack to one side of the bun and a slice of american to the other grilling just till the cheese melt.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Steak - 05/01/16
Originally Posted by Frm
OH yeah, what's the best way to grill the steak? Charcoal? Lump coal? Gas grill? Seasonings?

I like an open hard wood fire, burned down to coals. I prefer to finish it in a cast iron skillet, over those same coals, with butter.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Steak - 05/01/16
About the only way to totally wreck a good steak is to way over cook it.

As far as breeds of cattle, I was taught years ago, "The difference within breeds is greater than the difference between them."
The way they are fed is most of it.
I ain't jewish and a ribeye has more fat and marbling than a porterhouse and it's not demand you can buy which ever cut you prefer.

If you think a whole class of people eating one type of steak has no bearing on demand, I can't explain it to you. Eat what you prefer, but what I said will drive the price up some, whether you believe it or not. I like a ribeye but prefer a porterhouse. Each to his own. I eat a lot of sirloin because it is a bargain compared to the other steaks. I also eat a lot of deer steak, and not all of it is backstrap or tenderloin but the cuts off of the ham, with each muscle separated out. miles
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Steak - 05/01/16
In order, ribeye, flat iron, and chuck eye. All have better flavor than porterhouse and their separated cuts.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Steak - 05/01/16
2" thick, 45 day dry aged cowboy ribeye grilled over lump charcoal.

Mike
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Steak - 05/01/16
I've been enjoying some of the leaner, cheaper cuts. Much better beef flavor than a typical prime ribeye.

Posted By: MadMooner Re: Steak - 05/01/16
Chuck eyes took a bath in garlic, salt, onion, lemon juice, pepper, olive oil, and a splash of shoyu before getting tossed on a hot grill.

Maybe 4 minutes a side and a quick rest gave a nice light char and yielded medrare steaks.

Fantastic.

Definately cheaper than a rib steak, but not any leaner.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Steak - 05/02/16
I have been seeing hanger steak mentioned a lot lately, but do not know exactly what they are speaking of. I think that I might know, but not sure. Any help? miles
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Steak - 05/02/16
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by Frm

I like an open hard wood fire, burned down to coals. I prefer to finish it in a cast iron skillet, over those same coals, with butter.

^^^^This^^^^
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Steak - 05/02/16
Originally Posted by milespatton
I have been seeing hanger steak mentioned a lot lately, but do not know exactly what they are speaking of. I think that I might know, but not sure. Any help? miles

Similar to skirt steak, or flank.

Marinade or simple S&P with a bit of oil and cook hot. Don't go past med or it'll likely be fit to resolve your sneakers.

Great piece of beef. One of my favorites.

Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Steak - 05/02/16
On the prime rib I order in restaurants usually that smaller part of it is the most tender. The last one I had was tender all the way thru.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Steak - 05/02/16
Originally Posted by Savage_99
On the prime rib I order in restaurants usually that smaller part of it is the most tender. The last one I had was tender all the way thru.

[Linked Image]

Douche bag chimes in again.

I know you'll toggle it, dumbass.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Steak - 05/02/16
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Great for fajitas but not popular where I live. Butcher shop has a minimum 72 lb. case order for it. ????? WTF???

$10+ at wal mart. WHEW !!!!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Steak - 05/02/16
Not at all expensive around here, but I'm usually targeting something better for around the same price.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Steak - 05/02/16
Originally Posted by calikooknic
In order, ribeye, flat iron, and chuck eye. All have better flavor than porterhouse and their separated cuts.

Ditto, and I actually prefer a hot seared churasco to a porterhouse these days.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Steak - 05/02/16
Originally Posted by milespatton

Would have to dig a book out, but I believe hanger is a muscle attached to the lungs and only comes one per steer or cow. As MM said, very similar to skirt steak. Very much saught after in Mexican fajitas and carne asada's. Tough, stringy, and flavorful. Marinate in citrus and chiles, don't over cook.
Marinate in citrus

I have one skirt steak left in the freezer. How about 24hrs in a zip lock using pineapple juice ?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Steak - 05/02/16
It'd be tender!

I love pineapple, but I swear I can feel it breaking down the lining of my mouth when I eat it.

Good thing you're not a horse. That bit would be a little rough. grin
Posted By: Tony_Soprano Re: Steak - 05/03/16
I don't grill my steaks any more. Only skirt steaks for fajitas go on the grill.

You just can't get a home grill hot enough for a true black&blue.

I prefer my steaks pan roasted then crisped up with butter, garlic and thyme.

In order of preference: 2" filet or a 1 1/2" ribeye
Posted By: mathman Re: Steak - 05/03/16
I don't care for black and blue. Cold rare meat isn't actually tenderer, just squishier. Meat that is cooked just a bit is juicy because the marbling renders, and is more tender in the respect of parting to the tooth.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Steak - 05/03/16
Striploin!
What is wrong with you peoples??
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Steak - 05/03/16
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Marinate in citrus

I have one skirt steak left in the freezer. How about 24hrs in a zip lock using pineapple juice ?

About 16-20 hours too long. Pineapple straight is like rapid rotting more than tenderizer. Mixed with chile and onion and lime gives you beef al pastor though, and that should be pretty good.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Steak - 05/03/16
Mixed with chile and onion and lime gives you beef al pastor

Thank you. I think I saw some seranos at the store today so might grab a couple.

Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Steak - 05/04/16
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano
I don't grill my steaks any more. Only skirt steaks for fajitas go on the grill.

You just can't get a home grill hot enough for a true black&blue.

I prefer my steaks pan roasted then crisped up with butter, garlic and thyme.

In order of preference: 2" filet or a 1 1/2" ribeye
Ha My BGE will get well over 1000 degrees
Posted By: milespatton Re: Steak - 05/04/16

My cheap walmart gas grill will go past the numbers and it has numbers to 800 deg. miles
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Steak - 05/04/16
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

What instrument do you use to check that number ?
Posted By: scotts94_z28 Re: Steak - 05/04/16
Ribeye and it has to be rare
Posted By: Owl Re: Steak - 05/04/16
I love to cook on real mesquite wood when I can. I wait for it to burn down to coals. Last time I did this, my laser thermometer measured the temp at 1160'F.

And boy, the steaks are great ! Lots of mesquite flavor. A little salt, you can't ask for much more.

As for cut's, I go through various preferences. Some days I prefer a big cowboy cut ribeye, and others I prefer the t-bone or porter house.

But alas... these days, due to cholesterol count, I usually end up with a sirloin due to the lower fat content.

Lucky me. Tonight the Mrs. has bone in NY's on the menu. Steamed asparagus, sautéed mushrooms and onions. A nice green salad. I'm sure that there will be a few baked spuds too. But, do to diabetes, I'll probably not partake in the spuds, and only eat 6oz of the steak.

Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Steak - 05/04/16

thermometer
Posted By: JPro Re: Steak - 05/04/16

thermometer

Kind of like:
What do you need that flashlight for?
-Ummm... to see in the dark, what else?
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Steak - 05/04/16
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Great for fajitas but not popular where I live. Butcher shop has a minimum 72 lb. case order for it. ????? WTF???

$10+ at wal mart. WHEW !!!!

You buy that watered down meat at walmart? sick
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Steak - 05/04/16
Costco always has some nice looking beef for good prices. Usually has a selection of prime grade steaks and primal cuts as well.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Steak - 05/05/16
Originally Posted by Rooster7
You buy that watered down meat at walmart? sick

Sad but true. It's buy a 72 pound case lot at the local IGA or go to walmart. Actually the taste of the meat @ WM is better than the IGA.

Very poor rural area and cuts of meat such as flank,skirt,hanger just don't sell. Red meat is a luxury item for many of my neighbors.
Posted By: Tony_Soprano Re: Steak - 05/08/16
I just don't like the taste of cooked steak at all. I don't even like the taste of a medium rare steak. (Why God created barbeque sauce or marinade for fajitas)

I second Costco. I live in a small town and have to slum it with Choice at best. In those cases, yes black and blue or an overcooked rare steak is tolerable.

PS I always take mine off first then let my the others' steaks rest on top of it so I get to steal the juice - best of both worlds.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Steak - 05/08/16
I must really be rural. Just looked up the closest Costco, 87 miles, and the third state south east of here
© 24hourcampfire