Home
Posted By: MossyMO Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/01/16
First time trying out the Lodge, grilled some Tatonka Dusted rib-eyes.

[Linked Image]
-----

Not too bad for the first try... served with a hash brown casserole and crab stuffed mushrooms.

[Linked Image]
-----

[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking!
Good Gawd that looks amazing
Posted By: antlers Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/01/16
Good eats...!

And nice work too...!
Posted By: fink65 Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/01/16
How can you do better than that?-Mike
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/02/16
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ringworm Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/02/16
Ahhhgg!
You burned the chit out of them!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/02/16
Too cooked for me but how I make a steak for Deb.Different strokes for different folks...still looks great
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/02/16
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Too cooked for me but how I make a steak for Deb.Different strokes for different folks...still looks great

I'm in the camp with Dan. Five to seven minutes too long for me, but I've had more than one waitress or codiner make that face sick, but it does look like a great meal.
Posted By: Pigasso Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/02/16
I'd be proud to stick a fork in it. wink YUM.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/02/16
The steaks look great, I'd like to learn about the "cooker"?
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/04/16
Steaks a little over done for my tastes but I'd eat it and go back for seconds....

Thanks for posting this. I've looked at those grills several times and your thread renewed my curiosity so I poked around the ol interweb and found a pretty good deal at Cabelas...10% off and free shipping with club card...plus I had a few points built up so I got it for a little under $90. I currently use a little Weber Smokey Joe but this'll make a nice addition since I'm just cooking for me...or one or two out of state guests that show up now and then.....

Just in time for summer, I can't wait to try it out and thanks again for reminding me.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/04/16
I like the grill as well. Looks like a solid unit.

Nice eats!
Posted By: antlers Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/04/16
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'd like to learn about the "cooker"?

It's the Sportsmans Grill by Lodge. I picked one up today at Wal-Mart for 86 bucks. It's like a Hibachi on steroids. It's 100% cast iron (except for the wire bail). It's exactly what I've been looking for, and my thanks to the OP for postin' it up.
Posted By: antlers Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/04/16
Originally Posted by MadMooner

That's an understatement. Getcha' one and you'll see. Extremely solid, and simple too.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/04/16
That looks awful.

Awful good!
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/04/16
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by MadMooner

That's an understatement. Getcha' one and you'll see. Extremely solid, and simple too.

Yep.....good ol US made cast iron....what's not to like....

I noticed that Lodge no longer shows them on their web site....I wonder if they're discontinuing it....glad I have one on the way either way...
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/04/16
So, do you regularly use Tatonka Dust or was this a trial run?

Just curious, as I had it at a cookout, not me cooking, and thought that it had a "charcoalish" flavor, almost as if you'd sprinkled a tablespoon of charcoal dust on the meat.
Posted By: MossyMO Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/05/16
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
So, do you regularly use Tatonka Dust or was this a trial run?

Just curious, as I had it at a cookout, not me cooking, and thought that it had a "charcoalish" flavor, almost as if you'd sprinkled a tablespoon of charcoal dust on the meat.

Yes, have been having a steady diet of Tatonka Dust for well over 5 years now as the seasoning is a product my wife and I developed!

Charcoal seasoning is an ingredient in Tatonka Dust.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: antlers Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/05/16
[Linked Image]
Posted By: add Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/05/16
Impressions antlers?
Posted By: antlers Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/05/16
For what it is, and for what I was lookin' for...it's perfect. There's nothin' on it to 'wear out' either...it's 100% cast iron and I can easily see it lastin' as long as a cast iron pan lasts. Cooks steaks evenly and quickly and perfectly. And it retains heat like a mo fo...those hot coals last a looong time in it. One could easily cook two more steaks after the first two were done without having to do anything...except to throw two more of em' on the grill. I love it, and I'm well pleased that I got it. Thanks again to the OP for his original post showing this grill.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/05/16
Thanks for the review and nice job on the steaks....

I can't swallow steak any more due to scar tissue from radiation treatments but I bought some Brats while I was in town today in anticipation of mine's arrival...
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/06/16
I've had one for about ten years. Great for steaks, burgers,dogs but if doing longer cooks you may have to add charcoal as the draft is more there for looks than functionality .Simply adjust heat by the amount of coals used.

It works. Surprised nobody has discussed it before and right up there with the Weber Smokey Joe for portability.

A few vids that you may care to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lodge+sportsman+grill
Posted By: 300Savage Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/07/16
Yes, it shure reminded me of my old Hibachi on steroids! I have used the Weber Smokey Joe for the last 30 years. I sure do miss the Hibachi. I am going to look for one real soon. By the way, I got three Smokey Joe's and one big 22 inch main Weber. I due love the Weber. 300 Savage
Posted By: djb Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/09/16
I loved the lodge for about a year and a half until rust on the cooking surfacemade it unusable. It started flaking off layers on the cooking grill as if it were laminated. I ordered a replacement grill and had to wait about 9 months since lodge had some manufacturing issues. I have only used it a handful of times since getting the replacement grill. The old propane is just a whole lot more handy.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/10/16
Originally Posted by djb
I loved the lodge for about a year and a half until rust on the cooking surfacemade it unusable. It started flaking off layers on the cooking grill as if it were laminated. I ordered a replacement grill and had to wait about 9 months since lodge had some manufacturing issues. I have only used it a handful of times since getting the replacement grill. The old propane is just a whole lot more handy.

Cast Iron is Cast Iron and it'll rust if allowed too...

The good news is...it's avoidable and removable with a little vinegar even if you do fail to maintain it....

I'll take CI and charcoal over propane any day but to each his own....
Well....my new grill just showed up....I only have one complaint and that lies with UPS...not Lodge..

When I went out to meet the driver he said...it's kinda heavy...you want me to carry it up to the house for you.. frown

Posted By: MadMooner Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/10/16
Hah!

You shoulda played it up and see if he'd wash your truck to grin
LOL....he probably would....he's an awfully nice guy....
Hurtful..but nice... frown smile
Posted By: antlers Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/12/16
[Linked Image]
Nice way to spend an evening after trekkin' and bushwhackin' today West of where the Arkansas River flows into Pueblo Reservoir. Lots of sandstone and shale and cactus, rugged canyons and bluffs, and snakes. These marinated for 4 days in Sweet Baby Ray's Steakhouse Marinade. Four to five minutes per side on the grill...spectacular tenderness and flavor.
Posted By: antlers Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/13/16
[Linked Image]
This grill is the cats a$$...!
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/14/16
Darn good eats on a darn good little grill.Had one for around ten years as I said in an earlier post.

Rugged little fugger.Bullet proof. Don't drop it on your foot!! grin laugh
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Rib-Eyes on the Lodge - 05/14/16
Originally Posted by antlers
[Linked Image]

Man O Man....those look great....
© 24hourcampfire