Home
Thanks to Aldi's. $1.99/lb point cuts. Couldn't resist at that price. Went whole hog and got 3. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These 2 went in the pots, too.

[Linked Image]
Looks Great! I use wine or sherry and some brown sugar
My fav Greg!!!

Getting a little head start on SPD!? grin

PS…don't forget the red taters, horseradish and crusty bread!!
Greg, another mouth watering meal. You are on a roll. smile
I can almost smell that corned beef from here.
Yeah, David. Aldi's sprung it on us. Figured I'd go along with it. smile

Haven't had the opportunity to share with any friends yet, but Dawg gave me the thumbs up. grin
Looks good! I liked cooked cabbage about any way it comes, fried or boiled.

A cheaper way you might want to try a somewhat similar dish sometime is cabbage in a pot like that with some fresh and/or smoked sausage in the skins along with some quartered up potatoes. It's not corned beef but a fine meal in its own right.
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

A cheaper way you might want to try a somewhat similar dish sometime is cabbage in a pot like that with some fresh and/or smoked sausage in the skins along with some quartered up potatoes. It's not corned beef but a fine meal in its own right.

You'll certainly get no argument about that dish here on this board. smile

We're pretty fond of food that sticks to your ribs.
Damnnn.....looks good!!!
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

You betcha! Cabbage and smoked sausage with taters a great dish in the Fall, when I harvest the last of my cabbage and taters.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Thanks to Aldi's. $1.99/lb point cuts. Couldn't resist at that price. Went whole hog and got 3. grin

[Linked Image]
looks good

hard to find decent corned beef in my area.

how long do you cook it?

a crusty bread and horse radish sound like good sides for this meal

[Linked Image]

These 2 went in the pots, too.

[Linked Image]
Mighty fine eats there!
I got a couple flats today for 2.80/lb. They also had fresh cabbage for .79/lb. Funny but flats or points were the same price.

Ill soak the flats on Friday to get some of the salt out, then Saturday smoke them at 250 for 4/5 hours. Then one flat will go into the pressure cooker on Sunday with cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and some picking type spices plus a pinch of caraway. Should be a good comfort Sunday meal when I get back from my Sunday dog hike in the mountains. I'll save the second one for Reuben sammys.
There's a plan!
Originally Posted by Terryk
I got a couple flats today for 2.80/lb. They also had fresh cabbage for .79/lb. Funny but flats or points were the same price.

Ill soak the flats on Friday to get some of the salt out, then Saturday smoke them at 250 for 4/5 hours. Then one flat will go into the pressure cooker on Sunday with cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and some picking type spices plus a pinch of caraway. Should be a good comfort Sunday meal when I get back from my Sunday dog hike in the mountains. I'll save the second one for Reuben sammys.

After smoking for 5.5 hours at 200F, I cut the fat cap off. For what ever reason, this flat was insane moist and was very tender. I got out the ipot pressure cooker. I added cut cabbage, potatoes and carrots. For "steam" I added a cup of apple juice and a cup of water. Steamed on "meat" setting for 20 minutes. It was a 10/10. Super flavor, and very easy to make. The apple juice really helped with sweetness.
When I smoke anything these days, it often gets squirted with apple juice as it's smoking. Just to keep it moist. grin
Add chunked up rutabaga.
When I smoke anything these days, it often gets squirted with apple juice as it's smoking. Just to keep it moist. grin

I got triple time out of my smoked corned beef. With cabbage, in chili, and in ruebans.
I am going to make a dip with the rest. We use rye crackers as the dipper. I have that tomorrow with french onion soup.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/hot-reuben-dip-121239.aspx

Good ideas, guys.
Originally Posted by Terryk

I got triple time out of my smoked corned beef. With cabbage, in chili, and in ruebans.
I am going to make a dip with the rest. We use rye crackers as the dipper. I have that tomorrow with french onion soup.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/hot-reuben-dip-121239.aspx

Smoked corned beef is called Pastrami. Hella good sandwiches.
© 24hourcampfire