Home
Posted By: Mgw619 Braised Beef Short Rib Recipe? - 03/10/17
Was thinking about giving this a shot.

A little butter, salt, and black pepper... Brown the short ribs in cast iron with previously mention ingredients. Place in a deep roasting dish with carrots, onions, and celery all chopped. Half beef broth half good bold red wine for braising liquid. Fresh garlic cloves and fresh stems of rosemary and thyme in the braising liquid. Add two bay leaves. Covered and braise in the oven until tender.

Any other recipes you gets can offer? Or feed back on mine?
Instead of butter brown with olive oil. The higher temp will add flavor to the meal without a burnt taste.
Some good info here.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8667238/2

Mike
i like to use chinese version for something different

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/77408/chinese-spareribs/

cant go wrong with any slow cook recipe for short ribs though
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Instead of butter brown with olive oil. The higher temp will add flavor to the meal without a burnt taste.

If you do this then use a light olive oil that won't burn as easy as extra virgin.
Gordon Ramsay's take:

Yowser, that looks delicious MM !

IIRC, Wolfgang Puck also has a simple short rib recipe on you tube. I'll have a look & see if I can add the tutorial here:

There is another video attached to the recipe below too !
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/braised-short-ribs-recipe1

Love short ribs. All these recipes kinda touch around the basics.

I like to use carrots, celery, onion, lots of garlic and herbs in the cooking liquid of red wine and stock, then reduce and strain the sauce a little before serving. May even pulse it in the blender once or twice if I get the urge.

I use the Emeril Lagasse method of smashing some of the vegetables against the side of the roast pan or dutch oven with a spoon to thicken the sauce a bit.

Pure goodness in the end.
Yup. Just got done with dinner. Turned out nicely. I also put a spoonful of tomatoe paste in the braising liquid. Homemade gravy with some drippings and mashed potatoes. I might flour the ribs before browning then next time. Add another level to the sauce I think.
Nice job.
I follow this basic recipe and typically serve them on a bed or risotto or palenta:

http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/smoked-beef-short-ribs/

Here's a pic from a couple of weeks ago right after the smoke and before I started braising them. The blonde balsamic vinegar can be hard to find, but is much sweeter than regular.

[Linked Image]
Nice, looks like they're off to a great start !

Gunna try that recipe !

Thank you.
I love short ribs, but they are nearly impossible to find around here; I don't know why.
I can find them here, but they want $16/kg for them !

frown
I can find them. But, they're normally crappy looking and/or expensive. If I find some that look edible and are on sale, I almost always buy them for future use.
That is a tasty looking rib recipe. Will have to give that a go on my BGE.
Quickly checked locally for them today. $4.89/lb at newest local meat market. Think I'll wait..
I'll say this about real bone-in short ribs, not the chuck roast they sell as "boneless" short ribs, the meat is very rich and a fairly small serving tends to fill you up more than say a typical steak. So, a little goes a long way.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Quickly checked locally for them today. $4.89/lb at newest local meat market. Think I'll wait..

Phoucc, that's 2/3rds of normal price here !

smile
Paul, are you taking into account the spread twixt the two dollars?
Alas, no Richard, just multiplying by 2.2, to convert lbs into kilograms !

Taking in the exchange rate, actually makes it worserer !!!!
Paul, it may just be me, but about all food tastes so good! north of the "Medicine Line".
Richard,

Good food, tastes good, anywhere !

Don't get me wrong, b!tching about our food prices, cost of living here is still waaaay cheaper than in Australia.

Ended up giving in and buying them at $4.99/lb. Read the ad wrong, I guess.

Well anyways, they're in the oven soaking up some heat now. Here's a taste during reduction on the stove top.

Won't be long now..

[Linked Image]

Finished product.

[Linked Image]

damnit man, you are eating a bit late??
No choice, man. Back to back shifts this weekend.
No choice, man. Back to back shifts this weekend.

still feeding that ingrate Euro trash at work Greg? lol
I'm feeding them something, Sam. But, it weren't my short ribs. grin

You'd have loved to been a fly on the wall during conversation with a yuppie female version yesterday.

Sent her packin' with a smile on her face and a song on her lips. grin
Well, the wheels have been turning after reading Double's recipe. I'm going to adjust it a little and give it a go.

Beer... Guiness
Stock... beef instead of chicken
A sweet aspect... will replace the balsamic with Coke.

I'm thinking about 1 equal part of each to make my braising liquid. Just realized I'm out of lump for the egg and wood chips. I'll skip that this time and just sear them on the skillet before.

Will report back.
Man, that sounds good. Let us know how it turns out.
Ribs were another success. I left out the onion this time. The guiness, broth, and coke seemed to be dang near identical to the wine and broth. I think next time I will leave the veggies out all together. Add a couple more cloves of garlic and try cold smoking first. Trying to think of a way to put an Asian twist on short ribs. Anyone ever tried that?
Asian twist?
Just put ginger, sesame oil, and soy sauce with green onions in it.
Made some short rib tacos last night.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire