Home
Posted By: 284LUVR Fish breading/batter ? - 04/26/17
Gents, I know this has been mentioned before but thought I would ask as a specific topic.

There's pretty good sized food wholesaler not far away that will take orders on fresh fish for retail sales. WOO HOO !! this was unknown to me until yesterday so I'll be placing an order for some catfish as well as stripped bass.

Anyone care to share a recipe or a retail product they like ?

TIA, Denny.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Fish breading/batter ? - 04/26/17
Tough to beat the "Shore Lunch" brand batters for a retail product IMO. I prefer the beer batter mix, but the original is good to. I'm more of a red meat guy so get some more feedback before ordering.

Mike
Posted By: RNF Re: Fish breading/batter ? - 04/26/17
I use cornmeal seasoned with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and a couple of table spoons of crab boil seasoning when frying fish at home.

Also we fry fish at the job every once in awhile and use Louisiana seasoned fish fry for the ease and it is good also.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...p;utm_term=015203813&utm_source=bing
Posted By: catdoctor Re: Fish breading/batter ? - 04/26/17
I use cornmeal seasoned with salt and pepper. You don't need anything else with good fish.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fish breading/batter ? - 04/26/17
Those all sound good, I just wish Denny would ask me to help eat them?
Posted By: specialK Re: Fish breading/batter ? - 04/26/17
50/50 cornmeal and flour. Add seasoning to your like and voila.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Fish breading/batter ? - 04/27/17
I'm a dredge in seasoned flour, egg wash & cornflake crumb guy !
Posted By: waterbug Re: Fish breading/batter ? - 04/27/17
I'm with RNF except we use the Louisiana Fish Fry New Orleans Style with Lemon. I believe both versions are gluten-free in case you have friends/family who can't eat products with wheat flour.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lou...fish-fry-with-lemon#repChildCatid=543960

Originally Posted by RNF
I use cornmeal seasoned with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and a couple of table spoons of crab boil seasoning when frying fish at home.

Also we fry fish at the job every once in awhile and use Louisiana seasoned fish fry for the ease and it is good also.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...p;utm_term=015203813&utm_source=bing

Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Fish breading/batter ? - 04/27/17
My favorite for frying is to roll in prepared mustard and shake in 50:50 corn meal and cracker crumbs.

The mustard is very subtle, even if you use a potent one.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Fish breading/batter ? - 04/27/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Those all sound good, I just wish Denny would ask me to help eat them?

Not a problem. Glad to ship but they might have a little "turn" to them when they arrive. laugh
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Fish breading/batter ? - 04/29/17
Zatarains is hard to beat.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Fish breading/batter ? - 04/29/17
I like to season the fish first.When you cook it the juices along with the spices cook out and season the batter.You need a lot less seasoning to get the job done.Deep fried,I like cornmeal with 1/4 flour.Another way I like it is,put just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the skillet.Put the heat on about med.You don't want to cook too fast.Coat the fish with half King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour and half corn flour(this coating is also great on fried chicken and for chicken fried steak,but I use regular cooking oil for them).Cook each side to a med brown before flipping.
Posted By: blanket Re: Fish breading/batter ? - 04/29/17
depends on my mood what I use. flour/ cornmeal, masa harina/ corn meal or tempura. Salt, black and red pepper and either bay or Cajun seasoning added to mix
Posted By: fish head Re: Fish breading/batter ? - 05/06/17
Hi Denny.

My go to standard favorite for catfish is more less like others have mentioned but here's the details.

About a 50/50 cornmeal and white flour - maybe a little bit more cornmeal than flour.

Season the mix with salt and black pepper.

Dry the fillets and give them a very light sprinkle of salt.

Use a thin egg wash to coat the fillets - one egg and 1/2 cup of milk -shake off the excess

Dredge the fillets in the corn meal/flour mix.

Add about a 1/4" of vegetable oil to a skillet - cast iron works great.

Heat the oil - add the fish - wait until they just start to turn slight tan before turning - cook twice on each side until they are a nice light golden brown.

Drain on paper towels.

Perfecto.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Fish breading/batter ? - 05/06/17
Thanks, Fish. smile
Posted By: LFD Re: Fish breading/batter ? - 05/12/17
Zatarains, good stuff
© 24hourcampfire