Home
Posted By: Mannlicher Butter - 05/05/17
Other than the butter I used to churn as a child on the farm, the best butter I have found has been the President brand, out of France. The other day though, I found what I believe to be an even better butter. Trader Joe's Cultured Butter from Brittany in France.
Life is too short to work with common, insipid, everyday butter. Trust me on this. smile
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Butter - 05/05/17
Agreed! Good butter(lots of it) on a slice of warm banana bread is about the best damn thing I've ever eaten!

Years ago I was told to always buy and use un-salted butter. It would be fresher and have more fat. I have no idea if it is true or not, and honestly not even sure who told me. Lol. It just stuck with me and thats what I buy. Smith Brothers Un-Salted.

I'll have to try the Trader Joes.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Butter - 05/05/17
All the dairy cows is Wisconsin, USA, and butter has to be imported? I don't want to sound like mohick, shudder, but what do I know?
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Butter - 05/05/17
Mooner, unsalted butter does not have more fat, just no salt. I use unsalted butter for baking, but for everything else, I go with salted butter.

Wabigoon, it's not the amount of cows in America, it's about how the butter is made. Here is an article that explains the differences. Bottom line is that French, or Euro butter in general, has higher butterfat, and is cultured. American butter is just not as tasty, as good for baking, or much of anything else.

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-european-and-american-butter-229135
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Butter - 05/05/17
Makes everything taste better !!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Butter - 05/06/17
I'll take your word on the butter Sam.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Butter - 05/06/17
My bride loves Trader Joe's. I'll ask her to pick up some of that butter on her next trip. Thanks.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Butter - 05/06/17
Damnit! I was just there. Thanks Sam!

Mike
Posted By: byc Re: Butter - 05/06/17
Those are excellent BUT the local Amish butter at the Farmers Market takes AND bakes the cake. And it's about the size of a giant whole bologna!!

Impossible to be beat great butter!!
Posted By: mohick Re: Butter - 05/06/17
About what is the cost of that butter?? The dairy gold from Ireland is fantastic but price is a killer!!! Yes the amish butter is the best if you are high enough on the list to get some !!
Posted By: Terryk Re: Butter - 05/06/17
We live in an Amish area, so we get unsalted. It is more expensive than the corporate brands, but the taste difference is remarkable.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Butter - 05/06/17
Probably the main difference is the cows. America is big on Holsteins because they produce lots of milk. Jersey's and Guernseys, have a higher butterfat content but less milk on average. Individual cows might vary. Could be feed difference too. I know that some things make milk taste different but without knowing what each is fed, how would one know? miles
Posted By: Gus Re: Butter - 05/06/17
they always told me to use unsalted butter and go from there.

my grandmom use to make homemade butter from guernseys & jerseys and sell the extra at the farmer's market. made it in a handcarved maple mold.

anyways, the food source (grass & weeds) makes a ton of difference in flavor based upon time of year. the flowering of certain weeds will make or kill the flavor of milk and related products. and whether it's wet, rainy, very dry weather. the dry weather tends to concentrate the flavors in the plants.
Posted By: mohick Re: Butter - 05/06/17
Yeah bet you got a point there, saw few if any holsteins in ireland, cows pretty well pampered also. about like pets instead of just (milk factories).
Posted By: milespatton Re: Butter - 05/06/17
When we milked our own, I never noticed much difference in taste except for wild onions/garlic or bitterweeds. They were bad. Probably some other stuff out there but that is what I remember. miles
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Butter - 05/06/17
The Kerry Gold butter from Ireland is very good.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Butter - 05/06/17
Originally Posted by byc
Those are excellent BUT the local Amish butter at the Farmers Market takes AND bakes the cake. And it's about the size of a giant whole bologna!!

Impossible to be beat great butter!!

what makes or breaks butter for baking is the fat and moisture content. We made awfully good butter back in the day. I still have the old churn. American commercial butter just does not cut it. Too little butterfat, and too much moisture.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Butter - 05/13/17
OK, I have to say thank you, the Trader Jacques butter is outstanding!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Butter - 05/13/17
I used to work with several Irish immigrants, they said butter was one of the things most missed from Ireland. Amish butter was the closest they could find.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Butter - 05/13/17
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
The Kerry Gold butter from Ireland is very good.

That's what we use. Unfortunately Trader Joes won't open a store in Alaska (they'd make a killing) so we go the Costco route.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Butter - 05/14/17
years ago lots of people made homemade butter to sell. an old lady close by used to make damn good butter.
Posted By: sse Re: Butter - 05/16/17
everything's better with blue bonnet on it
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Butter - 05/16/17
Picked up some Trader Joe's butter yesterday.

Will give it a try out in the AM, when I butter my bowl for Shirred eggs.

Sam always has good advice!

Virgil B.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Butter - 05/17/17
We tried the Trader Joe's French made butter on an English muffin last night !

I'm on a low cab. diet, but HAD to eat part of a muffin with this butter!

What Yummy stuff! I never knew butter could be so GOOD!

Thanks Sam !!!!

Virgil B.
Posted By: goldroger Re: Butter - 05/17/17
Originally Posted by USMC2602
OK, I have to say thank you, the Trader Jacques butter is outstanding!

Yeah i tried it and its very nice. recommend for all as long as it goes with your health.
Posted By: goldroger Re: Butter - 05/17/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon
All the dairy cows is Wisconsin, USA, and butter has to be imported? I don't want to sound like mohick, shudder, but what do I know?

i agree with you, there's no point using imported butter, we have a huge varieties of USA made butter here.
Posted By: mohick Re: Butter - 05/18/17
It is a fer cry to call most of that crap butter !!!!!!!!! Guess some havent had anything better !!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Butter - 05/19/17
Originally Posted by goldroger

i agree with you, there's no point using imported butter, we have a huge varieties of USA made butter here.

Butter is different in America, as I pointed out. More water, less butterfat, and not cultured. American commercial butter is just not very good. For that matter, a lot of commercial butter in Europe is not that great either. As with anything else, you have to seek out, and pay for, a superior product. We each decide how that important is to us.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Butter - 05/19/17
Well Sam, you have presented evidence. There was a time when I thought a table saw was a table saw. 35 years, and 5 saws later, I know there are differences. That of course is just an example, and I had never heard of French butter till I read your post.

I'm a bit like John Conlee, I'm just a common man.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Butter - 05/19/17
Europe has high standards for the raw products that go into their butter and cheese. Sadly in America it's often the lowest grade that goes into butter and cheese.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Butter - 05/20/17
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Europe has high standards for the raw products that go into their butter and cheese. Sadly in America it's often the lowest grade that goes into butter and cheese.

^^^^^^^
Posted By: ironbender Re: Butter - 05/20/17
Do you drive a common van?

does your dog have a pedigree?
smile
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Butter - 05/20/17
No, Sam. and no dog now, do you like green eggs, and ham?
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Butter - 05/20/17
Well Sam, you have presented evidence. There was a time when I thought a table saw was a table saw. 35 years, and 5 saws later, I know there are differences. That of course is just an example, and I had never heard of French butter till I read your post.

I'm a bit like John Conlee, I'm just a common man.

then you will enjoy common butter. laughing.
Posted By: mohick Re: Butter - 05/20/17
holstein milk is just like coors light , sex in a canoe beer!! F^&KING near water!!!!!!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Butter - 06/10/17
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Other than the butter I used to churn as a child on the farm, the best butter I have found has been the President brand, out of France. The other day though, I found what I believe to be an even better butter. Trader Joe's Cultured Butter from Brittany in France.
Life is too short to work with common, insipid, everyday butter. Trust me on this. smile
[Linked Image]

I can now agree whole heartedly. That butter "President" kicks azz.

Picked some up yesterday and it definitely has a better flavor, and even texture, than the Smith Bros stuff I usually buy.
© 24hourcampfire