Home
While looking over sharpening systems, I saw Cabela's has an electric system.. In fact several.. This past April I had a guy sharpen one of my old hunting knives.. Seems like a good job, but haven't used it yet.. I can sharpen my knives, but if the is a faster way I am for it.. What is the feeling about these sharpeners?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VYYSV...hy=9029998&hvtargid=pla-277931591892

Works awesome
Posted By: EdM Re: Electric knife sharpeners. - 05/18/17
I use an AccuSharp. Works great and sells for less than $10. Get the angle right with whatever passes are required then a couple of swipes every few times I use the knife.
The risk with an electric sharpener is wearing out a blade prematurely. If you're using a steel the set the edge on a blade, it just takes a few licks and setting a new edge by grinding should only need to be done annually. The other thing is with frequent grinding the cutting edge will become too wide and the blade won't cut as well and then you'll need someone who knows his way around a belt grinder to put a new cutting edge on the knife.
I have seen knives from packing houses that were ground so far they discarded them.
So narrow they would break in two. The packs must think it is cheaper, and better to sharpen the knife often, and fast, and replace when they are worn too far.
Thanks guys, I thought that might be a problem!
Posted By: Tate338 Re: Electric knife sharpeners. - 05/20/17
You're not gonna ruin your knife using an electric sharpener once in a while. Use a steel to reset the edge during use and use the electric when you can't get the edge back with the steel. I like the electrics for getting your angles back to factory. To each his own, but using a dull knife makes a long day even longer. Barry
I got a Chefs choice electric diamond sharpener for Christmas a couple of years ago. I don't use it on my good knives. But it is pretty handy for sharpening all my kitchen knives in 5 minutes.
© 24hourcampfire