Home
Posted By: BRISTECD Canning tomatoes - 06/18/17

Canning tomatoes today! Got a few jars left to fill.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Canning tomatoes - 06/18/17
Excellente!

When I first saw your intro sentence about canning tomatoes today I was taken aback for a moment, then I saw your location.

I don't miss SoCal for too many reasons, but one thing I miss is ripe tomatoes early in the year. Not enough for canning around these parts until July at least.

Geno
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Canning tomatoes - 06/18/17
Anybody can tomatillos? I use them by the case when making chili verde and they are pricey here, especially fresh.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Canning tomatoes - 06/18/17
Sitka,

I haven't yet but I understand they are as easy as tomatoes, being acidic and all. Next time I grow enough I'll have to give it a try. It'll be a year or two in the making though, as the new place I'm retiring to doesn't really have an established garden yet and by the time I get there this summer I'll only have time to put in some cold tolerant stuff. There'll only be 2 months left, if that, to our frost free nights.

Probably nearly as expensive as buying cases of fresh up there in AK, but Herdez Salsa Verde is pretty authentic tomatillo based sauce.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HERDEZ-Salsa-Verde-68-oz/32241002

Don't know if you can find a larger size like a restaurant can or if you can even get it shipped to you there. Anchorage might have a Wally's or two? Perhaps they could order up a case or two?

Just an idea to avoid the cost of fresh up there.

Geno
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Canning tomatoes - 06/18/17
Nice RG......boy what I wouldn't give for a case or two.....
© 24hourcampfire