Home
Posted By: Frm corn on the cob - 07/04/17
What is the best method of cooking corn on the cob? Any suggestions?
Posted By: Cheesy Re: corn on the cob - 07/04/17
Boil.

Remove from water.

Butter. Salt. Pepper.

Lock this thread now. Any further answers are wrong.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: corn on the cob - 07/04/17
The best is the method you, like best. If I am grilling, I'll wet the husk on the corn, and cook the ears with the meat. Some times, a microwave works well.
Posted By: Frm Re: corn on the cob - 07/04/17
Cheesy, good thing I didn't ask about brain surgery!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: corn on the cob - 07/04/17
Water, salt and sugar in pot. I do not like the husk left on. Do not usually like it grilled.

You asked for the best method. If such a thing existed, it would be the only method.
Posted By: kingston Re: corn on the cob - 07/04/17
Don't leave in boiling water for more than 2 minutes.
Posted By: super T Re: corn on the cob - 07/04/17

I like to salt, pepper and butter corn then wrap in foil and grill for five minutes or so. Should turn it a time or two.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: corn on the cob - 07/04/17
Soak husk in iced brine for at only 30 min. Toss on grill and take off when desired doness is achieved. Toppings your choice.

I loosen the husks just enough so the brine gets throughly inside
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: corn on the cob - 07/04/17
Originally Posted by kingston
Don't leave in boiling water for more than 2 minutes.

+1!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: corn on the cob - 07/04/17
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Boil.

Remove from water.

Butter. Salt. Pepper.

Cheesy has it nailed down solid.
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: corn on the cob - 07/05/17
If you want to make a bunch at once for a big party, clean and husk it all, put it in a cheap wal-mart cooler. Add as much boiling hot water as will fit, close the lid and go to working on all the other food. In a little bit all your corn will be done and it will stay warm for a while in the cooler
Posted By: EdM Re: corn on the cob - 07/05/17
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Boil.

Remove from water.

Butter. Salt. Pepper.

Precisely how I cooked an ear last night for my wife.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: corn on the cob - 07/07/17
Boil.

Remove from water.

Butter. Salt. Pepper.

This is what I do.

I heard a local radio talk show host raving about putting mayo or miracle whip on corn on the cob instead of butter but that just sounds sacrilegious. lol
Posted By: Cheesy Re: corn on the cob - 07/07/17
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Boil.

Remove from water.

Butter. Salt. Pepper.

This is what I do.

I heard a local radio talk show host raving about putting mayo or miracle whip on corn on the cob instead of butter but that just sounds sacrilegious. lol

10 years ago a sanitary pipe welding contractor we used put on a feast for the 50+ contractors of various disciplines we had in the job site. Seems when piping jobs were slow he had food truck for fairs and parades and such where he sold one item. Sweet corn. Joel The Cornman recommended serving method was dip in mayo. Sprinkle with season salt. I think only 3 of the 50 ate it that way. I wasn't one.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: corn on the cob - 07/07/17
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Boil.

Remove from water.

Butter. Salt. Pepper.

Precisely how I cooked an ear last night for my wife.

You cooked a single ear? I've never heard of such a thing. smile.

Last night I cut the kernels off of 3 left over ears from the night before. Made a pile of corn that would serve a family of four. I pointed out to my wife I can remember my dainty grandma eating 6 ears in one sitting. She liked sweet corn and we always grew about an acre of it each year.
Posted By: sse Re: corn on the cob - 07/08/17
each person should have two ears
Posted By: 5sdad Re: corn on the cob - 07/08/17
Boil.

Remove from water.

Butter. Salt. Pepper.

Amen! (I will allow that some alternate methods result in a product that is at least edible. Those that result in scorched kernels do not.)
Posted By: rrconductor Re: corn on the cob - 07/08/17
I will sometimes shuck it, spread Duke;s mayo, parm and chili powder, wrap in foil and grill along side the chops.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: corn on the cob - 07/08/17
Is there bad corn on the cob? It's KIND of like bacon, kind of. I leave the husk on, soak in sugar water for awhile prior to the grill.
Posted By: kingston Re: corn on the cob - 07/08/17
Just corn that's been boiled for more than 2 minutes.
Posted By: Bear48 Re: corn on the cob - 07/09/17
No doubt grilling makes good corn. Boiling is the way I used to do it till I found a quicker way and it comes out just as good at least for 1 or 2 cobs. Husk your corn, than completely wet a paper towel. Roll the cob up in the paper towel, twist the ends shut and tuck under the cob. Put on a paper plate or microwave safe plate and nuke it on high for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes. There ya go; oh yeah, be careful, it will be hot as hell, so let it sit alittle bit before handling.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: corn on the cob - 07/09/17
Best raw right out of the ground. That's how I ate it as a kid from the garden and that's still how I prefer it. No salt, no butter, no modifications.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: corn on the cob - 07/09/17
I will have to try the miracle whip/mayo
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: corn on the cob - 07/10/17
Originally Posted by Bear48
No doubt grilling makes good corn. Boiling is the way I used to do it till I found a quicker way and it comes out just as good at least for 1 or 2 cobs. Husk your corn, than completely wet a paper towel. Roll the cob up in the paper towel, twist the ends shut and tuck under the cob. Put on a paper plate or microwave safe plate and nuke it on high for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes. There ya go; oh yeah, be careful, it will be hot as hell, so let it sit alittle bit before handling.

Variation of this works very well. Leave the corn in the husk. Nuke for three minutes. Cut the bottom of the ear off about 1/4" up the cob. Grab the husk on the other end squeeze the cob out the bottom. Works real slick. Gets all the pesky silk off. Plenty of moisture in the husk to steam the corn. I do it this way when I am doing a ear or two for myself. Any more than that I boil or grill.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: corn on the cob - 07/10/17
Old bay on corn is my kids goto corn seasoning!
Posted By: Taconic11 Re: corn on the cob - 07/11/17
A Farmer friend used to say that you need the pot boiling in the field when you pick it. He knew His sweet corn.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: corn on the cob - 07/15/17
Originally Posted by kingston
Just corn that's been boiled for more than 2 minutes.

Agree 100%!! Just warm it up is all I do. I can rinse it off and eat it right out of the field.

Mike
Posted By: calikooknic Re: corn on the cob - 07/17/17
I do sometimes like to cut it off the cob and toss into a skillet with melted butter. Just warm it up and serve. Another variation is to sauté some jalapeño peppers in the pan first.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: corn on the cob - 07/17/17
"You, you ... Philistine!"
© 24hourcampfire