Home
Posted By: atvalaska When are peaches in season? - 07/06/17
Wife has a desert contest coming up ,all the stores around here have a cross between a tennis ball an a apple heck-it even looks like a peach but tastes like chit.....
Posted By: Terryk Re: When are peaches in season? - 07/06/17
My favorite peaches are from Gettysburg the second week in August. Naturally that is pretty north for peaches.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Wife has a desert contest coming up ,all the stores around here have a cross between a tennis ball an a apple heck-it even looks like a peach but tastes like chit.....

No kidding, eh?

They rot before they ripen too.
Posted By: Gus Re: When are peaches in season? - 07/06/17
all the common grocery stores are fully stocked in the hot-lanta area. prices vary by store, and also by size & flavor. like apples, there's tons of varieties now. about 2.00 lb i'm thinking.
August and into Sept seems to be prime season out here in E WA.
Posted By: EdM Re: When are peaches in season? - 07/07/17
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I picked up some delicious ones at Yoke's here last week.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: When are peaches in season? - 07/07/17
20 years ago we would visit my uncle north of Spokane. I distinctly remember buying a bushel with my grandparents in middle of August. Drive back to Kansas just in time for school to start. 2 1/2 days of driving and I put a dent on those delicious peaches in the backseat.

Couple years ago our neighbor brought us a half bushel from Pennsylvania. Biggest peaches is ever seen. This too was in August. Weighed them and they averaged 15 ounces each. Delicious.

Orchards in SW Missouri have them for sale right now. I need to buy some.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: When are peaches in season? - 07/07/17
Yellow and white peaches are in season right now in VA. The yellows generally goto early Sep, the whites into Aug.
Had my first peach pie last week.
Freestones churned into homemade ice cream.
Originally Posted by rrconductor
Freestones churned into homemade ice cream.

YES!!!
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I picked up some delicious ones at Yoke's here last week.

Nice!

I wouldn't be surprised if they are from California.
They were sellng them in South Carolina last week at the farm stands
Posted By: sse Re: When are peaches in season? - 07/08/17
When are peaches in season?

May not make any difference, they still have to get to AK.
[quote=Dillonbuck]They were sellng them in South Carolina last week at the farm stands[/quote
Peaches been in the Farmer's market here for a while.
Originally Posted by sse
When are peaches in season?

May not make any difference, they still have to get to AK.

Yup,

The joys of produce shipped to Alaska. I don't think I've ever had a good peach, plum, apricot, kiwi.... fruit in Alaska. As a kid in CA we used to drive to the central valley and get fresh fruit from the farm produce stands. No comparison.
mine should be ready in 4 weeks
Farmers market yesterday morning, at least four varieties of peaches, nectarines, and plums available. Sampled some apricots too.
So do they pick them early like tomatoes/and they get ripe? Cause they ain't right....
Posted By: Terryk Re: When are peaches in season? - 07/10/17
Great to add to Waldorf salad. I used smoked chicken breasts, and the preached really blend the flavor.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: When are peaches in season? - 07/10/17
A good indicator is if there are all kinds of male peaches that you haven't seen before hanging around your place.
Posted By: Gus Re: When are peaches in season? - 07/10/17
typically around here in the Peach State, the best comes from the tree already "ripe." that is, hand picked, put in the bucket, then straight home.

but, that's not how most are mkted. they go to the grocery store first, then rang up with the rest of the groceries.

they are "ripe" at the farm, and are shipped. some varieties hold up in shipping better than others.
So do they pick them early like tomatoes/and they get ripe? Cause they ain't right....

Those at the farmers market were most likely picked sometime in the week days before the weekend. But there were several verities availability. White, yellows, and other specialties.

That must be the situation Tarry.

Also, the peaches sent up here have been rejected by every other grocer in the country.
Posted By: sse Re: When are peaches in season? - 07/11/17
Originally Posted by ironbender

Also, the peaches sent up here have been rejected by every other grocer in the country.

peaches of wrath
Right now in Kalifornia. Neighbor across the street has a orchard at his ranch. Brought us over several of boxes full of ripe now peaches and nectarines yesterday. Called lots of family to come get them. Emptied out the freezer and stuffed them all inside for an hour to cool them off. Last family member left at 10pm last night. Could have thought I was running a crack house with all the traffic yesterday evening.
Won't see this variety in many supermarkets. See if you know the name.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by sse

peaches of wrath

Nice!
smile
Originally Posted by sse

peaches of wrath

Nice!
smile

Lol....sad but true...I heard that Fred Meyer truck that crashed near tok ..had the best freshest ones to ever hit the state...in the ditch!! Lol
Posted By: Terryk Re: When are peaches in season? - 07/13/17
Originally Posted by FatCity67

[Linked Image]

Saturn peach around here.
Peach festival is this weekend in Porter, Oklahoma. They invite everyone to come Saturday for free peaches and ice cream!
Tarry-
Nectarines are similar and for some reason ripen normally here. Not the rot before they ripen situation of peaches.
Peaches should be sampled off the tree. When they are good then picked.
Not very many peach orchards locally.
Posted By: Gus Re: When are peaches in season? - 07/22/17
Tarry-
Nectarines are similar and for some reason ripen normally here. Not the rot before they ripen situation of peaches.

down here in the high humidity south, a lot of fungicide spraying is necessary to get the peaches to a ripened condition before rotting. and usually the trees are sprayed a time or two before they leaf out. peaches have become a high maintenance kind of crop, at least around here.
Originally Posted by Terryk

[Linked Image]

Donut peach.
Thanks for the in for guys!

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by rrconductor

[Linked Image]

Donut peach.

Correct on both accounts. Ate some many of the damn things in the last three weeks I feel like the Giant Peach in that kids story of the same name.
© 24hourcampfire