Home
Posted By: wabigoon Stamped Steel Skillet? - 08/19/17
We have two stamped steel frying pans. They should be good for cooking, shore lunch, the light weight.

Any thoughts on stamped pans?
Posted By: LouisB Re: Stamped Steel Skillet? - 08/19/17
Funny but just last week I was wondering where I could find a selection of the thin stamped skillets.
I have plenty of cast, just needing a couple of sizes of the lightweight models.

Lightweight one seems to be in many of the pictures of a shore lunch in the area where they know what they are doing!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Stamped Steel Skillet? - 08/19/17
I have several. The ones by Lodge are actually quite good. Best ones come from France, where they call them 'blue steel' pans. They are much lighter than cast iron, season easily, and become as non stick as teflon. I use them for omelettes, crepes, fried eggs and a host of other tasks.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Stamped Steel Skillet? - 08/19/17
Thanks Mannlicher, I never thought to even look at Lodge for them.
Lodge must have someone produce them.
Every skillet I have is cast and I wanted something lighter for some tasks.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Stamped Steel Skillet? - 08/19/17
You good folks knew what meant by calling them stamped steel pans. What would be better terminality?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Stamped Steel Skillet? - 08/19/17
Been thinking about these. Mrs. Buck, my doe, has a little trouble with lifting the bigger cast skillets.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Stamped Steel Skillet? - 08/20/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon
You good folks knew what meant by calling them stamped steel pans. What would be better terminality?

They're usually referred to as "Carbon Steel Pans".
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Stamped Steel Skillet? - 08/20/17
Are the carbon steel skillets better than cast for some cooking?
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Stamped Steel Skillet? - 08/20/17
of course they are. Omelettes, crepes, pancakes, fried eggs. Any food item needing very quick heat transfer that forms a crust on the very outer layer, and leaves the interior still moist.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Stamped Steel Skillet? - 08/20/17
Don't know if it works but check this out.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/9588-how-to-season-a-carbon-steel-pan
© 24hourcampfire