Home
Posted By: Mannlicher Papaya Hot Sauce - 09/20/17
Made a batch of my PDI papaya sauce yesterday. Unlike most of my hot sauce, this one has a lot of different things in it. I made it originally for a Jamaican friend that owns a restaurant. It was designed to compliment his Jerk goat and other island dishes. Hot and savory.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: biglmbass Re: Papaya Hot Sauce - 09/20/17
I like most all hot sauces, but can't recall if I've ever had one with papaya in it.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Papaya Hot Sauce - 09/20/17
Originally Posted by biglmbass
I like most all hot sauces, but can't recall if I've ever had one with papaya in it.

it's about my favorite. A specialty sauce for sure, but the bite and flavor are excellent. I use it on all sorts of dishes. It makes Deviled Eggs come alive.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Papaya Hot Sauce - 09/20/17
Sam,

I'll take a gallon !

Got some goat in the freezer too.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Papaya Hot Sauce - 09/20/17
That hot sauce does sound great.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Papaya Hot Sauce - 09/20/17
And if one were to think about making some what and how much of those ingredients would one need
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Papaya Hot Sauce - 09/20/17
Share recipe or facsimile thereof ?
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Papaya Hot Sauce - 09/21/17
This batch used a peeled and chopped 3 pound red, ripe Papaya. Seeds and all.
one medium white onion, course chopped
two garlic cloves
8 Scotch Bonnet Peppers, quartered. Seeds and all. Use more or less, depending on how hot you like the sauce
two ounces peeled and chopped fresh Ginger
4 ounces shredded carrots
Teaspoon ground Galangal
Tablespoon Mahleb seeds, and a tablespoon of all spice berries, ground up with a mortar and pestle.
dash salt
half teaspoon or more good quality Thyme
half teaspoon good Cinnamon
two cups white vinegar
quart commercial Papaya Nectar

In a large stainless steel pan (I use a 6 quart), bring all ingredients to a boil, and then simmer for about 20 min. Let cool.
In two or three batches process in a high speed blender. I process for a full minute. Strain through a sieve, using a rubber spatula to press out the liquid. Discard remaining solids
cool and bottle.

This is not a sweet hot sauce. Nothing says you can't add several tablespoons of brown sugar if you want it a bit sweeter.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Papaya Hot Sauce - 09/21/17
Unashamedly doing 5sdad in my worst Eddy Fisher voice, "Oh my Papaya, to me he was---" I promise to stop now.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Papaya Hot Sauce - 09/21/17
Bad jokes aside Sam, I'd like to sample that.
papaya and hot sauce, would be a nice adventure.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Papaya Hot Sauce - 10/08/17
The Papaya is good, but Sam's Mango Hot Sauce is even better! grin

As delicately flavored as fresh scallops and shrimp are, Sam's Mango Hot Sauce doesn't overpower them and is just plain wonderful!

Ed
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Papaya Hot Sauce - 10/08/17
The Guava was good on the scallops too. I could probably get some Mango Madness sauce out to a hunting buddy. 😜
© 24hourcampfire