Home
Posted By: wabigoon Snails? - 10/16/17
The hullabaloo upstairs about turtle has me thinking about snails. The French are big on them, I hear. anyone eat them, snails, not the French that is?
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Snails? - 10/16/17
Broiled in garlic butter, they are good eats.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Snails? - 10/16/17
No, but if I could find some fresh ones I sure would try them.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Snails? - 10/16/17
I brought up snail, I have read the snails are kept for a few days to learn if they have ingested pesticide. Some die, those are not shipped to France.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Snails? - 10/16/17

I went to a fancy work party and they had them(along with an open bar) and I thought they were delicious. I don't know what kind of snails they used but I have tons of them in my yard and have thought about eating them.
I'm not sure about snails myself. Some research should tell how to do it all.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Snails? - 10/16/17
A turtle was mugged by a snail. When interviewed by the police, he was of little help in describing his attacker, claiming, "It all happened so fast!".
What is that drum thing after a bad joke?
Seems like you have to purge them for a while before you eat them.

They eat a lot of garbage.

I know a fellow who eats a lot of fresh water clams and mussels. He catches them and tosses them in a bucket of clean water. Throws in a handful of rolled oats.

After a few cycles of clean water and rolled oats he deems them okay to eat.

I think snails are the same type of deal. Maybe pesticide and herbicide free vegetables or something for a while.
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Snails? - 10/16/17
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I think snails are the same type of deal. Maybe pesticide and herbicide free vegetables or something for a while.

I seem to recall that corn meal was used to "purge" them?
Posted By: Judman Re: Snails? - 10/16/17
Ate em 1 time on a cruise, they were amazing....
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Snails? - 10/18/17
After you get over the idea - they are incredibly delicious.
Posted By: rong Re: Snails? - 10/18/17
Escargot,very delicious
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Snails? - 10/18/17
We have bought the Roland brand canned escargot snails many times and made them at home. My wife has the escargot dishes and we bake them in garlic butter with havarti cheese melted over the top. Serve with some toast points for mopping up the garlic butter. Delicious!!
Posted By: akjeff Re: Snails? - 10/18/17
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
We have bought the Roland brand canned escargot snails many times and made them at home. My wife has the escargot dishes and we bake them in garlic butter with havarti cheese melted over the top. Serve with some toast points for mopping up the garlic butter. Delicious!!

Sounds perfect, I love 'em! With a glass(or two, or three) of red wine, it's a meal in itself.

Jeff
Posted By: Squirrelnut Re: Snails? - 10/18/17
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

That's how we do it except we use shaved parmesan instead of havarti. They are incredible.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Snails? - 10/18/17
Pretty near every thing is delicious bathed in butter and garlic.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Snails? - 10/19/17
Originally Posted by rong
Escargot,very delicious

Ya, gut !

wink
Posted By: pak Re: Snails? - 10/19/17
Since slugs are related to snails I'm thinking they will be the next menu topic. smile
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Snails? - 10/19/17
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Pretty near every thing is delicious bathed in butter and garlic.

Indeed, and escargot is about as good a use for butter and garlic

[Linked Image]

Haven't had it in years, but if it's on the menu I'll order it.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Snails? - 10/19/17
I would like to try them,

But given a choice,

I'll have the Ribeye.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Snails? - 10/20/17
I am surprised that no one has posted how they love them after being in the smoker for a week.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Snails? - 10/20/17
It is hit, and miss on the 'fire Jim. I picture this place as a few hundred monkeys on typewriters.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Snails? - 10/20/17
I would think that anyone who spent a week in the smoker would be past caring.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Snails? - 10/20/17
John, have you given consideration to thinking Inside the "box', just now, and then? Just curious??
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Snails? - 10/20/17
In my younger days, I existed entirely within "the box". In my dotage, I have given in to whimsy and allow my thoughts to run free with wild abandon. My family long ago gave up having any concern.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Snails? - 10/20/17
Tried one once at a French restaurant. All I remember is they were chewy and tasted like garlic. If you have to cover the taste with a lot of garlic, you have to wonder what they really taste like.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Snails? - 10/20/17
My wife is not your adventurous eater. She will pick at things like fresh mussels in a garlic/cream/white wine sauce. Snails (escargot) is a rare treat here like sushi.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Snails? - 11/01/17
We eat escargot every new years. Somehow became tradition.

Advice- Buy canned snails from france, not asia. They need to be boiled and soaked in their steeping liquid for 12-24 hours to remove chewiness. We use white wine or vermouth and lots of fresh herbs. Bring to boil, pull off heat and leave them in their liquid on stove top for 12-24 hours. Then in escargot dish with lots of butter and in 450 degree oven until butter starts popping.

Garlic butter, momma's homemade baguettes and snails. 1700 calories of pure delight.

I don't order in restaurants because I've never had them as good as we prepare them.

Also, despite it's "haute" status, its quite cheap to prepare.
Posted By: Gus Re: Snails? - 11/01/17
some really good ideas here. if i ever get to the point of wanting to eat snails i'll refer back to this thread for encouragement and positive re-inforcement.

back home, down on dusty, red dirt road, the old folks had some folklore or natural healing recipes for corns on one's feet & toes. they said to take a fresh snail out of it's shell, and rub it all over the corn. (i guess that leaves out some snails that don't have shells?). anyways, they swore it works. and i've never heard a doctor disagree with them. so, there it is. snails are good for food, and for medicinal purposes.
© 24hourcampfire