Home
Posted By: MadMooner Grouse tonight - 10/20/17
Hot damn. Eating the most tender and delicious game bird I've ever had this evening.

Often, game birds come out either a bit tough or dry for me. Sometimes both. Not a fan of cooking it to death in sauces which is often the best way to get it tender and not dry it out. I had never thought to brine it, but did tonight. I think the combination of brining and "aging" the bird really came together.

I cleaned the bird the same day I shot it. Put the meat in a bag on ice. It sat for 4 days. This morning I put a bit of sugar and salt in a small bowl of water. Some pepper corns and a bay leaf, then the bird. Popped it in the fridge for about 10 hours.

Quick rinse, pat dry, dredge in some lightly seasoned flour and fry hot in canola/bacon grease for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes a side.

So tender and moist. Easily the best game bird I've eaten. Even the legs are perfect.

That's all.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Grouse tonight - 10/20/17
Yowsa! Strong work!

You say the legs were perfect........do grouse have a lot of tough tendons in the legs like pheasant?
Posted By: Steve Re: Grouse tonight - 10/20/17
Grouse is hard to beat.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Grouse tonight - 10/20/17
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Yowsa! Strong work!

You say the legs were perfect........do grouse have a lot of tough tendons in the legs like pheasant?

I was pretty excited about the grouse last night! Lol.

Yeah, they might not be as stringy and tough as pheasant legs, but they aren't far off. I did cook them an extra couple minutes.
Posted By: sse Re: Grouse tonight - 10/21/17
sounds good
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Grouse tonight - 10/24/17
Yowsa! Strong work!

they ain't got legs IMO , I wack'em roll on their backs step on the wings grab the legs ...and stand up ,throw the carcass in the woods ...but give the heart to the dog for doing his job and the geizard goes to grandma
Posted By: deflave Re: Grouse tonight - 10/24/17
What kinda grouse?

Dave
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Grouse tonight - 10/24/17
There in the woods ,set down your milk ....and go check them out...
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Grouse tonight - 10/24/17
Originally Posted by deflave
What kinda grouse?

Dave

The Ruffed variety.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Grouse tonight - 10/24/17
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Yowsa! Strong work!

they ain't got legs IMO , I wack'em roll on their backs step on the wings grab the legs ...and stand up ,throw the carcass in the woods ...but give the heart to the dog for doing his job and the geizard goes to grandma

Ain't much to 'em for sure, but they'll do.

I usually just peel them open like a dove and filet out the breast and then pop the skinned legs off with a knife.
Posted By: Gus Re: Grouse tonight - 10/24/17
everywhere i've hunted the drummer it's been hard work, fun, & beautiful views usually. they're scarce in my community now.
© 24hourcampfire