Home
I'm not big on teriyaki flavor jerky but it seems nearly all the recipes have soy and Worcestershire. Does anyone have a peppered jerky recipe, or one that isn't terribly strong teriyaki flavor?
I use A-1 And soy and woostershire (sp) sauce as the marinade. Garlic salt as it is drying. Hardest part is having any left to store for later. (Liquid smoke added to marinade, Sometimes.)
Teriyaki.... Japanese for overly spiced chit....to make up for what they did to the Koren's... Lol
Just get the Hi-mountain hickory flavor and be done. I have never had a complaint and always asking for more.
I just made up a bunch using Hi-Mountain Pepper & Garlic, my kids said it's the best I've made & I've been making it for a while.

Dick
Originally Posted by kellory
I use A-1 And soy and woostershire (sp) sauce as the marinade. Garlic salt as it is drying. Hardest part is having any left to store for later. (Liquid smoke added to marinade, Sometimes.)

Why do you hate those you give your jerky to???

wink

Few things are more disgusting in my world than fake smoke!
Yuk!
Originally Posted by BigNate
I'm not big on teriyaki flavor jerky but it seems nearly all the recipes have soy and Worcestershire. Does anyone have a peppered jerky recipe, or one that isn't terribly strong teriyaki flavor?

KISS

Per gallon of water:
1 cup non-iodized salt
1 1/2-2 cups brown sugar
2 Tablespoons coarse ground black pepper

Brine for 60 minutes or less... do not exceed!!!

Rinse individual pieces quickly under cold running water and place on racks.

Also a hard glossy coat to develop.

Put in smoker and start smoke at as low a temperature as possible for 30 minutes. Gradually raise temp and airflow to 150F or so.

As the jerky gets dry enough, remove to a brown paper bag to cool. Once cool, wrap in dry paper towels and place in large zip-lock bags.
Simple, some of us do not yet have smokers. I seldom use liquid smoke, and even more seldom have enough left to give away. I've turned 2 deer at a time into jerky, and not had enough for demand.
I have a smoker, but I use the oven. I just follow the directions on the Hi-mountain package and it is done in an hour and a half. Deer, ground, no fat, follow directions on package, Hickory flavor. Easy!
I dabbled around with lots of different recipes over the years, but anymore the Hi-Mountain flavors; peppered and regular, are my favorites. Slice about 3/16" thick or so and smoke until done.

Have you tried making biltong?

Thank me later:

How to make biltong
Learning how to make biltong (the South African way) is an immensely gratifying process.

How to make biltong - the finished productMaking quality biltong, the standard of which would bring a tear to the weather-beaten eye of an experienced Karoo Farmer, requires a little know-how but is still a lot easier than most realise. Here are the four basic steps to get you started.

1. Meat selection

There is a long and interesting list of meats that could be successfully transformed into biltong (everything from fish to turkey) but for the uninitiated we suggest using beef and game as these will suit most tastes. Venison is a popular choice due to its leaner quality but whatever you select the standard factors of cut, aging and fat content apply and will all affect your biltong in the same way they do when you cook with these meats.

How to make biltong - preparing the steaks. Choose according to your preference (and availability) but bear in mind fatty meats are more likely to spoil during the drying process and although you can use prime cuts, you generally get better value from these if you cook them. We suggest finding a balance between quality and cost.

Meat loses much of its mass during the drying process, so you’ll mostly likely be buying in bulk. In this example we’re using two kilograms of sirloin bought from a local supermarket.

2. Preparation

Start by removing excess fat. This will help with the drying process, and ensure greater longevity of the final product. Leave some fat for extra flavour, as you like it.

Biltong Preparation: Don’t cut the slices too thick or they will take too long to dry. Roughly 20cm in length, and 1cm thickness is ideal. Get rid of any gristle/sinew – these bits become extremely tough to chew when dried. Longer strips are more space efficient for drying, and reduce the number of drying hooks you’ll need to use.

Basting and seasoning recipe | for approximately 2kg of meat

250ml vinegar (for basting)
1/2 cup ground coriander
2 Tbs ground black pepper
2 Tbs sea salt
2 tsps paprika

Biltong Seasoning: The easiest way to prepare meat for drying is to baste and season simultaneously. Start by adding a layer of your basting mix (vinegar) and seasoning spices to the bottom of a wide, flat dish or tray.

How to make biltong - basting with vinegar: Lay your steaks flat in the dish, then add another equal layer of basting and seasoning on top. Additional spices like paprika and peri peri can be added according to your preference for spicy flavouring. Let the steaks marinade for two to four hours in the fridge before proceeding to the drying phase.

Seasoning and basting3. Drying

You can dry biltong in an isolated, dry space (like the Karoo) or a specially constructed chamber (like a biltong maker) which allows you to control the heat and visitations of unwanted guests (flies of the fruity kind). Humidity is the enemy and primary cause of spoilt biltong so creating the right environment for drying is an essential part of the process, especially in colder or more humid climates.

drying in the biltong maker: Depending on the amount of meat and method of drying you use, it can take anything from 24 hours to 10 days to complete the process. Personal taste also comes into play, as some like their biltong moist while others prefer the rock hard variety.

No soy in my jerky.

Worstershire, A-1, Red wine vinegar, a little Sirracha are the liquids.

Minimal salt
Lots of pepper, onion powder, garlic, crushed red pepper, and a little brown sugar.
I've even used some Montreal Steak seasoning.
I dont use teriyaki, though it may be some in the ingridients

Quick and easy jerky...

1 bottle of Allegro Zesty marinade
1 bottle Tiger sauce
Cavenders Greek seasoning
Sea Salt and black pepper.

Marinate a couple days....... or more.
Hi Mountain is good stuff
I like to use ground meat with no fat added for my jerky and use a dehydrator. I only use Nesco jerky seasoning packets. I like the original flavor best, but they have several to choose from. One pack of seasoning and one pack of cure per pound of meat. Super easy and very good. I also pat the jerky down and flip it over during the process to keep the fat off of it.
I just made up a 10 lb batch of deer jerky this weekend.

I trimmed the meat of all fat and silver skin. Then diced it into chunks to fit the grinder. I ground it once with the big hole plate in a Cabelas Pro grinder. Then mixed in, by hand, one packet of Hi-Mountain original, about 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper and 2.5 cups of water. Then I ground it with the medium hole plate. Let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours and then used a jerky cannon to fill the dehydrator.

Turned out good.
Why do you add the water?
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Why do you add the water?

To keep the meat from getting too dry during the dehydrating process.
Why do you find the taste of teriyaki objectionable? My go to jerky marinade contains teriyaki,soy sauce and worstershire in equal amounts along with other spices and I've never had any complaints.
Originally Posted by BigNate

I dislike teriyaki. I also don't like sticky jerky. I usually do a plain salt brine. I have spiked it with a cup of rum, some crushed red pepper or cayenne powder, stuff like that. I keep going back to plain salt. It is what I like best. I don't remember the ratio ... I use the little chief smoker book's most basic jerky recipe, but only use the water and salt components. I do not replace the sugar in the recipe with more salt.

I have the meat thawed and cut in strips in the fridge. In the morning before going to work, I dunk it in brine and leave it in the fridge all day. When I get home, I rinse it repeatedly, pat it dry with paper towels, load it on the racks in the sink and let it drip for an hour, then put it in the smoker. I'll get up maybe twice overnight and add chips. When it's time to go to work, I pull the pan out, then drag the smoker in on the concrete floor of the garage and let it run heat all day while another batch is soaking in brine. When the meat comes off the racks, it goes in the fridge temporarily. After the last batch has smoked, if it is still too moist, I stack all of it back on the top two racks and put it back in the smoker in the garage for more warm, dry air.

The only problem with plain brine is sometimes the jerky can be too salty. This is ok if you're using it to supplement other food in the field, not so good if you're trying to entertain with it.

Tom
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Why do you find the taste of teriyaki objectionable? My go to jerky marinade contains teriyaki,soy sauce and worstershire in equal amounts along with other spices and I've never had any complaints.

Lol......

Did you just ask him why he doesn't like the taste of something?
I prefer a dry rub. It's easier to manage the salt content (versus all kinda of salt-laden liquids like soy) and it dehydrates much quicker.

1 Tbsp course kosher salt per pound of meat
1/2 t Onion powder
1/4 to 1/2 t Garlic powder
1/2 t Ground red pepper or cayenne
Pinch of Varget or H322

Coat, let sit for a bit, dehydrate.
Hi Country jerky mix is the best I've used!
© 24hourcampfire