Home
Posted By: akjeff New Pellet Burner - 12/10/17
Did the first cook on a new MAK 2 Star, and really happy with it. The build quality/craftsmanship is off the charts, and it cooks great. The temperature consistency throughout the chamber is impressive. Ribs were left bone side down the entire six hours, and you couldn't tell which side was up or down. Had I done that on my Primo, the bottom would have been burnt. You have to flip ribs hourly on it. We really like the cleaner, milder smoke profile vs the charcoal smoker. Very, very happy with it. The wife's side dish of roasted cauliflower, rutabaga, and garlic cloves was excellent. Liking this pellet pooper!

Jeff

Attached picture Grill.jpg
Attached picture Plated.jpg
Attached picture Ribs.jpg
Posted By: ironbender Re: New Pellet Burner - 12/10/17
That looks good. Real good!
Posted By: beretzs Re: New Pellet Burner - 12/10/17
Looks real good. Did ribs on my pellet smoker too..
Posted By: rem141r Re: New Pellet Burner - 12/10/17
nice unit. what temp did you do them at for 6 hours? any idea of the max unattended run time?
Posted By: akjeff Re: New Pellet Burner - 12/10/17
Thanks all.

141, I ran it on "smoke"(which is 180F) for the first two hours, sprayed with cider vinegar, and then upped it to 225 for the remaining four hours. Sprayed with ACV every hour. I haven't run it enough to get a feel for real world pellet consumption. At "low & slow" cook temps I've read that it should use about 1 pound/hour or so. The hopper easily holds a 20 pound bag of pellets, so it should be no problem doing all nighters like brisket.

As an aside, this cook further disproved the myth of the "smoke ring" for me. While it was deeper on these ribs than I've ever seen, the smoke profile was mild and very clean. A deep ring definitely does not equate to an intense smoke flavor. It's simply a chemical reaction with the NO and CO in the smoke and the myoglobin in the meat.

Jeff
Posted By: rem141r Re: New Pellet Burner - 12/10/17
ah, that explains the long smoke time. on my weber with charcoal i run about 250 and the ribs are done in 3 hours or less. i'll bet yours were the perfect texture from smoking that long. mine can sometimes be a touch on the greasy side if the temps aren't quite right.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: New Pellet Burner - 12/11/17
Originally Posted by akjeff
Did the first cook on a new MAK 2 Star, and really happy with it. The build quality/craftsmanship is off the charts, and it cooks great. The temperature consistency throughout the chamber is impressive. Ribs were left bone side down the entire six hours, and you couldn't tell which side was up or down. Had I done that on my Primo, the bottom would have been burnt. You have to flip ribs hourly on it. We really like the cleaner, milder smoke profile vs the charcoal smoker. Very, very happy with it. The wife's side dish of roasted cauliflower, rutabaga, and garlic cloves was excellent. Liking this pellet pooper!

Jeff

Careful, that stuff will stunt your growth!
© 24hourcampfire