Home
Posted By: prarie_creek_station Potato Sausage - 12/14/17
Any of you guys make potato sausage. Last time my wife and I made some, all of it turned black. The stuff tasted fine, but looked like hell. We suffered some rude jokes about our black sausage. Any advise on how to keep the potatoes from turning black? I have heard soaking the potatoes in cold salt water helps.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Potato Sausage - 12/14/17
I think Swedes do that. I tried and got the same thing. I actually decided to never try it again.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Potato Sausage - 12/14/17
Good potato sausage is too good for the masses; it needs to be reserved for the gods and me.
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: Potato Sausage - 12/14/17
I use Friscoe seasonings. Stuff it into Beef rounds and add 3 lbs of chopped onion. You mix 60oz of frozen hashbrowns. It is super easy and very good
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Potato Sausage - 12/14/17
Originally Posted by NEBHUNTER
I use Friscoe seasonings. Stuff it into Beef rounds and add 3 lbs of chopped onion. You mix 60oz of frozen hashbrowns. It is super easy and very good

Sounds good.....Who can I talk to about putting in an order for about 5#'s of it.
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: Potato Sausage - 12/14/17
Just shoot a deer. Get some 50/50 pork trim, Then you can make 25 lbs
Posted By: ironbender Re: Potato Sausage - 12/15/17
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Good potato sausage is too good for the masses; it needs to be reserved for the gods and me.

But, you repeat yourself!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Potato Sausage - 12/15/17
I blush blush; but your observation earns you the right to consume potato sausage along with us. Dilly-Dilly!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Potato Sausage - 12/15/17
So John, I take it, you somehow rate the sausage over,---lutefisk?
Lutefisk is for those cast into the outer darkness, there to wail and gnash their teeth.
Posted By: mathman Re: Potato Sausage - 12/15/17
I blush blush; but your observation earns you the right to consume potato sausage along with us. Dilly-Dilly!

Using Dilly-Dilly! reduced your beer cred.
Lutefisk is for those cast into the outer darkness, there to wail and gnash their teeth.

It's right there with light beer and light sour cream.
Originally Posted by mathman

Using Dilly-Dilly! reduced your beer cred.

I have no beer cred whatsoever; a friend's meds require that he drink only NA, so I have joined him.
Friend cred is there though.
Posted By: fremont Re: Potato Sausage - 12/17/17
Had a Swedish friend give us some potato sausage for Christmas Eve. That with some sweet pickled cabbage. Fantastic
Posted By: erich Re: Potato Sausage - 12/17/17
My BIL a butcher in WI would fill the casings to about 18", cook immediately or coil on a flat sheet and freeze immediately before the potatoes could turn. We would take it straight from the freezer to a covered frying pan with some water and steam cook it until thawed and cooked through, pour off any remaining water and fry until the casing is nicely browned.

I suppose you could use beer and bay leaf like we do with brats also.
It seems the general consensus is that you need to freeze or cook imediately or it may turn.

Thanks
Posted By: milespatton Re: Potato Sausage - 12/28/17
I had never heard of potato sausage so I went looking for a recipe. I found this information that might help. miles

"Peel potatoes and cover with water and just bring up to boiling point; drain and let cool. This will keep potatoes from turning dark in the sausage."
© 24hourcampfire