Home
Posted By: akjeff Sous vide - 01/15/18
A coworker convinced me to give the sous vide method a try, so I ordered an Anova unit off Amazon. Tonight, I cooked a couple New York strips, and I must say we're fairly impressed. Vac bagged them with a few sprigs of thyme and rosemary, and then cooked them at 129 for about 2 hours. Stoked up the Primo grill to full nuclear. Patted the steaks dry, seasoned with S&P, and then seared them 1-1/2 minutes per side. Pretty close to perfectly cooked, tasty, and juicy. Definitely warrants further experimentation.

Jeff
Posted By: beretzs Re: Sous vide - 01/15/18
Man, I may have to give it a shot.
Posted By: roof Re: Sous vide - 01/15/18
It's the best way to do pork chops!
Posted By: super T Re: Sous vide - 01/15/18
akjeff, I have the same unit and I'm completely convinced that it'll produce one very fine, perfectly cooked steak every time. Last night invited my daughter and family for tr-tip dinner, she warned me that she couldn't promise when she'd show up. I said no problem because I knew that if I needed to leave the meat in the sous vide bath an hour or two longer it wouldn't matter, which is one of the best aspects of the sous vide method. As it turned out the meat was in the sous vide bath about 10 hours and I finished(seared) it a gas grill to a prefect medium rare after daughter and family arrived and mom had everything else ready to go.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Sous vide - 01/15/18
Originally Posted by roof
It's the best way to do pork chops!

I saw this thread and knew you'd be along to comment. Roof is the Sous Vide expert.
Posted By: super T Re: Sous vide - 01/15/18
It's also a great way to do chicken, especially breasts.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Sous vide - 01/16/18
Butter poached lobster tails......THE BEST!! Chicken breasts to perfection as well as any vegetable we've tried. Baby carrots in compound butter are awesome. I'm not 100% sold on steak yet, but need to play around some more. I did beef short ribs for 72 hours, then seared them. They melted in your mouth!

Mike

PS I have the older Anova before the wifi model.
Posted By: akjeff Re: Sous vide - 01/17/18
Will have to try the lobster, chicken and some veggies....hadn't considered that!

Jeff
Posted By: landlord44 Re: Sous vide - 01/17/18
my grand ma makes the best, not seen a lot of restaurant menu, they are very tasty when made properly.
Posted By: LovesLevers Re: Sous vide - 01/22/18
Originally Posted by landlord44
my grand ma makes the best, not seen a lot of restaurant menu, they are very tasty when made properly.

Makes the best what? Sous Vide? You do realize it is a cooking method and not a food item?
© 24hourcampfire