Home
Posted By: Dillonbuck Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/06/18
I don't want to hijack the Turnip soup thread.

Does anyone like rutabegas and parsnips.

We love to roast beef with root crops; potatos, carrots, parsnips, turnips, and rutabegas.

Put the veggies on your plate, smash, add butter and horseradish (another rootcrop), and hit it with some of the broth.

Damn, we will l be eating this soon.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/06/18
they rank right up there with turnips and broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and Asparagus as crap I won't eat. laughing
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/07/18
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

We love to roast beef with root crops; potatos, carrots, parsnips, turnips, and rutabegas.

Put the veggies on your plate, smash, add butter and horseradish (another rootcrop), and hit it with some of the broth.

I eat all of those. That’s fine eating! You can add beets to that list too
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/07/18
My grandfather ruined many a stew with a rutabaga.

Not only are they terrible, but they are hard to grow.

Parsnips are also a tool of the devil......I had a bad experience once.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/07/18
Rutabaga is pretty standard in beef or venison stew and new england boiled dinner in the circles I grew up in. Lots of my extended family like it cubed and boiled or mashed too. Not my favorite, but it doesn't ruin a meal.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/07/18
Never had either and from the replies I doubt that I ever will but ya never know....I'll try dam near anything.
I doubt that I'll go looking for it though.
Posted By: Owl Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/07/18
I love parsnips. Can't recall ever eating a rutabaga
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/07/18
Don’t eat much in the way of rutabagas or turnips. No real reason, I like them well enough.

Parsnips though get eaten a fair bit. They are a must in any barley soup. Lamb and barley being my favorite! Great roasted with carrots or mashed with potatoes too.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/08/18
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Don’t eat much in the way of rutabagas or turnips. No real reason, I like them well enough.

Parsnips though get eaten a fair bit. They are a must in any barley soup. Lamb and barley being my favorite! Great roasted with carrots or mashed with potatoes too.

Hmmm.........Barley soup's one of my favorites. Maybe I will go looking for some parsnips after all.

I make Beef barley but I might try some Lamb too.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/08/18
Mutton beats lamb in every way.....but a good mutton is hard to find.

Rutabagas, parsnips and turnips are not as bad as I let on.

Not my favorites, but I do eat them.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/08/18
I've never had mutton Jim and the only Lamb I ever ate was the leg of Lamb a friend used to make at deer camp every year. It was dam good though.

I've eaten turnips but not the other two.....the turnips were ok but didn't impress me enough to go out and buy some.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/08/18
A little trivia - in some areas rutabagas are called white turnips
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/08/18
Like all root veggies, I like them best marinated then grilled. I cook an assortment always including onion of one variety or another,

Cut into similar size pieces small enough to eat in one or two bites but big enough not to fall thru grill. coated with extra virgin olive oil, salt , pepper, granulated garlic, fresh thyme and rosemary.

Let marinate for a an hour at room temp.

Cook on grill how you like them. I like a nice med char and with a slight firmness.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/08/18
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Hmmm.........Barley soup's one of my favorites. Maybe I will go looking for some parsnips after all.

I make Beef barley but I might try some Lamb too.

I dice up:
A big onion.
A carrot or two
A parsnip or two
A stalk of celery or two

And then chop up a left over leg of lamb.

Saute the veg for a few in your soup pot with a bit of olive oil, add some S&P and fresh thyme. Or whatever you want want for that matter.

Toss in the chopped meat (I usually season the lamb roast pretty heavily when I roast it, so it adds a good bit of seasoning to the soup as well).

Add beef stock and barley. Simmer away.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/08/18
Two of my favorites from child hood! Rutabegas were always in boiled dinners and parsnips were sliced and fried in butter. Nowadays I usually cut them up and roast them drizzled with olive oil. Never had turnips till I started planting them in food plots. They're pretty tasty too.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/08/18
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

You've just described a root mash made all over Europe. Just mash it all the way up and add some chicken broth.
Posted By: wldthg Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/08/18
Young thin sliced turnip fried in butter just like homefried taters with salt and pepper will change ones mind about turnip. Very good
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/08/18
My wife and I both love parsnips. We use them along with carrots in pot roast, corned beef, short ribs, you get the picture. In I rate them above a carrot in flavor after they're cooked. We also like turnips, but I've never had a rutabega. What do they taste like?

Mike
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/09/18
That's pretty much the way I make it cept I use chuck diced pretty small.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/09/18
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
My wife and I both love parsnips. We use them along with carrots in pot roast, corned beef, short ribs, you get the picture. In I rate them above a carrot in flavor after they're cooked. We also like turnips, but I've never had a rutabega. What do they taste like?

Mike

The ones I've had are milder and sweeter than turnips.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/09/18
Anyone else like kohlrabi, we really do.
For some reason some years they do great, many times nothing.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/18/18
Hey Dillonbuck- how do you do your kohlrabi?

Just picked some up and ain’t sure what to do with it?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/18/18
We have just roasted them with a roast, or cooked them in beef broth like turnips.
Good luck, we like them better than turnips.
Toss the greens in there too?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/18/18
No idea about that, we don't.
Thanks! Let ya know how it turns out.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/19/18
Went in a bit different direction with the kohlrabi.

De-stemmed and cut up the greens. Peeled and sliced the bulbs. Couple cloves of garlic and a half an onion diced.

Tossed it all in a big skillet with a bit of butter, some olive oil, S&P, and some red pepper flakes.

Kohlrabi does not cook like potatoes. Lol. After frying it for 15 or so minutes it became obvious it wasn’t going quickly soften and brown.

No biggie. Added a bit of chicken stock and simmered for a bit. Another 30 minutes at least.

It actually came out pretty damn good. Raw it was kinda potato meets radish meets cucumber, but more bland. . Cooked it had some kick from the red pepper and had softened but still had a bit of snap. The greens had more flavor than the bulbs, or seemed to anyway.

We’ll be eating them again for sure.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/19/18
Should have warned you they take a bit of cooking.
Also, be careful, it would be easy to get cut trying to peel and cut them.
Posted By: sse Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/19/18
Parsnips are a most interesting root veggie, beautiful white color, pungent sweet flavor. You have to be careful with them, they can easily overpower other flavors in the pot. Also, despite being similar in appearance and texture, in the time it takes to cook a carrot, a parsnip will turn to mush, so add them later to the stew.

I like turnips, but don't often eat them. Canucks will often just cube and boil them for a side at T'giving dinner.
Posted By: erich Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 02/22/18
I like them all. Rutabaga, turnips, parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes and broiler onions all get pan roasted. Beets in a separate pan and mix in after cooking.

As a kid rutabagas were standard fare at our house, boiled and coarse mashed with butter, salt and pepper(heavy on the pepper). I still look forward to them with a meal.

As a kid when the garden came in mom would make a milk based vegetables soup and everyone's favorite was the kohlrabi in it. Now I use them sliced on a salad.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 03/23/18
We always have parsnip soup as part of our Christmas Eve meal.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 03/23/18

It is best eaten raw with salt.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 03/23/18
Originally Posted by 5sdad

It is best eaten raw with salt.

The only way I've ever tried or enjoyed them, but after some of the suggestions above that will be changing. Thanks everyone.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 03/25/18
I love rutabaga. Cut that wax outside off, cut into smaller squares, boil till soft, then mash them up like you would mashed potatoes.

It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without rutabaga.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Rutabegas or parsnips - 03/26/18
Never tried parsnips. Don't care for turnips. Despise rutabagas.
© 24hourcampfire