Home
Posted By: FieldGrade Got a new CI soup pot. - 03/07/18
I have a nice thick copper bottomed pot but it's almost to small for several of the recipes I like so I ordered a 4 qt Lodge.....$34 and free shipping (regularly $39)......I'm a sucker for a sale.
I'm gonna break it in with a batch of Dirty Rice in a couple of days.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gus Re: Got a new CI soup pot. - 03/07/18
i like lodge cast iron. have been to the foundry at south pittsburg, Tn back in the day.

cooking with ci can become an obsession. the last stuff i've bought has been a bit rough.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Got a new CI soup pot. - 03/07/18
Nice.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Got a new CI soup pot. - 03/08/18
Charlie
Is that bare CI or enameled?
I have one of each.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Got a new CI soup pot. - 03/08/18
It's a Lodge "pre seasoned" CI which means they got the seasoning started for you.

I've often thought about an enameled CI pan of some sort but the prices always scared me away.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Got a new CI soup pot. - 03/08/18
I got a 5 quart Lodge for Christmas.

Been thinking of breaking it in with black eyed peas and ham hocks......
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Got a new CI soup pot. - 03/08/18
Good luck on the rice.
Thanks Jim......I have a really good recipe....trinity, bulk breakfast sausage from the local grocer, chicken livers, rice, and spices.

I'll make Cajun fried egg plant to go with it.

Just gotta get through one more night of Red Beans and rice leftovers and it's game on.

Posted By: ironbender Re: Got a new CI soup pot. - 03/08/18
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
It's a Lodge "pre seasoned" CI which means they got the seasoning started for you.

I've often thought about an enameled CI pan of some sort but the prices always scared me away.

La Creuset while high quality is nutty expensive. My enemaled DO is Lodge. Our Fred Meyer store has them everyday for ~ $70. I often see them on sale for about $40. I think that's what I paid for mine.

Just looked at the Lodge website and they list it for $100 for the 4.5 qt. Can't explain the differential.

Hope it works out for you.
The only enameled CI I've seen for $40ish were imports......I'm not a fanatic but I draw the line with CI from SE Asia.

I'd be all over an Enameled 4qt Lodge for $40

I got this one from Amazon.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Got a new CI soup pot. - 03/08/18
I really like cast iron and am a fan of Lodge. However, do not buy anything directly from Lodge unless it is from one of their outlet stores. The prices are outrageous. Anything Lodge makes can be bought from Walmart or other suppliers substantially cheaper than direct from Lodge. Strange, but true. If your local WM doesn't have it in stock, you can order it from WM website and have it shipped to a local store for free.
Originally Posted by Henryseale
I really like cast iron and am a fan of Lodge. However, do not buy anything directly from Lodge unless it is from one of their outlet stores. The prices are outrageous. Anything Lodge makes can be bought from Walmart or other suppliers substantially cheaper than direct from Lodge. Strange, but true. If your local WM doesn't have it in stock, you can order it from WM website and have it shipped to a local store for free.

Yep.....I've done just that with a couple of pieces.
Like most manufacturers you can usually buy their products for damn near half what they want if you buy direct.
© 24hourcampfire