Home
Posted By: Mannlicher Skottle - 03/12/18
I just got home from 5 days of camping, kayaking, canoeing, eating and drinking. The campsite was on the Kissimmee River, in Central Florida. Two of the fellows brought Skottles to cook with. It's a South African gizmo, almost like a wok (but shallower), uses propane and has long legs. One was 18 inches in diameter, made from a plow disc. The other was purpose built, with a diameter of 22 inches. I have placed an order for one of my own. It's the neatest thing for camp cooking I have ever seen.
Over the week, we cooked bacon, sausage, hash browns, scrambled eggs, stir fried rice, Chicken Lo Mein, fried fish, pancakes and several other dishes.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: OldJeepGuy Re: Skottle - 03/12/18
Diskada
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Skottle - 03/12/18
Looks intriguing - do the legs screw on and off?
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Skottle - 03/12/18
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Looks intriguing - do the legs screw on and off?

yes. You can also use a 20# tank and hose, but the one pound cylinder lasted 5 days.
Posted By: SWcowboy Re: Skottle - 03/12/18

Looks a lot like what the Mexicans cook with on the work over rigs in Farmington NM. They made some great food with something that looks like that.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Skottle - 03/12/18
I'd call it a disk blade, disk harrow to be more proper. Like a carbon steel skillet, but like a dish shape?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Skottle - 03/12/18
Originally Posted by OldJeepGuy
Diskada

Yup, Discada and a kahuna burner.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Skottle - 03/12/18
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'd call it a disk blade, disk harrow to be more proper. Like a carbon steel skillet, but like a dish shape?

To get fancy you could use the disk blades that look like they were cut out with a pinking shears.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Skottle - 03/12/18
Originally Posted by wabigoon

or you could just read what I posted, where I 'splane what it is. laughing.
Posted By: OldJeepGuy Re: Skottle - 03/13/18
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Diskada

Yup, Discada and a kahuna burner.

NO disrespect to the OP.

Great site but only one of several out there.Thinking,.......hhmmmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.southwestdisk.com/
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Skottle - 03/13/18
very neat, thanks for sharing
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Skottle - 03/13/18
Diskada

yup
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Skottle - 03/13/18
ltppowell brought one to Tenn hog hunt a few years back and made some mean vittles on it
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Skottle - 03/13/18
the one I was using was note made from a disc harrow blade with the center welded shut. . It was purpose built. Deeper, larger in diameter, and slightly thinner material. Fellow in Georgia makes them. He imports the discs from a company in Brazil, and welds on the studs for attaching the legs and burner.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Skottle - 03/13/18
Looks like a darn usefool too, Sam. And probably doesn't take up a lot of space when broken down.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Skottle - 03/14/18
the one I was messing with did not come with a case. Owner used an old pillow case to store it it. Legs were put into a PVC pipe with caps. I am going to wind up using mine a lot. Don't know how long it will take to get it though.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Skottle - 03/14/18
Where'd ya order yours from, Sam?
Posted By: OldJeepGuy Re: Skottle - 03/14/18
I like its compactness. Nice and easy for the wifey poo ta hump when backpacking.

Posted By: sse Re: Skottle - 03/17/18
a great cooking concept, centuries old
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Skottle - 03/18/18
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Where'd ya order yours from, Sam?

ordered it through the fellow that brought one of 'em to camp. A friend of his makes them up in North Georgia. Sells them for several hundreds of bucks, but is going to charge me $90. I'll let you know when I get it.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Skottle - 03/19/18
I love the "purpose built" part.. Goodness

$32 start

or even more purposer built for $45
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Skottle - 03/19/18
You could buy a blade for a Wishek Disc......to make yer skottle.

32 inches and 5/16ths thick.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Skottle - 03/21/18
Now, that looks very useful. I'd love to get one of those.
Posted By: OldJeepGuy Re: Skottle - 04/03/18
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I just got home from 5 days of camping, kayaking, canoeing, eating and drinking. The campsite was on the Kissimmee River, in Central Florida. Two of the fellows brought Skottles to cook with. It's a South African gizmo, almost like a wok (but shallower), uses propane and has long legs. One was 18 inches in diameter, made from a plow disc. The other was purpose built, with a diameter of 22 inches. I have placed an order for one of my own. It's the neatest thing for camp cooking I have ever seen.
Over the week, we cooked bacon, sausage, hash browns, scrambled eggs, stir fried rice, Chicken Lo Mein, fried fish, pancakes and several other dishes.
[Linked Image]

Great post OP which prompted me to shake the dust out of the ol' wallet. Should be here by the end of the week !! Oh boy !!!!

http://www.southwestdisk.com/22-bbq-spring-handle-design/
© 24hourcampfire