Home
Posted By: chlinstructor Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/22/18
Bought me a new crockpot the other day to cook with since I don’t have Mom to cook for me anymore. I’ve been cooking a lot of pinto beans, chilli, and stew in it, but I’ve never done a pot roast in one. Some recipes & cooking time would be greatly appreciated please.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/22/18
2-3lbs venison or beef roast
1 jar peperoncinis
1 stick butter
1 packet ranch dressing seasoning
1 packer French onion soup mix

Simple and awesome
Originally Posted by huntinaz
1 jar peperoncinis
1 stick butter

Simple and awesome

I’m not familiar with pepperonis? What is that?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/22/18
Little, yellow-green, not real hot, peppers, packed in vinegar.
Italian thing, it think.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Little, yellow-green, not real hot, peppers, packed in vinegar.
Italian thing, it think.

Thanks! I had no idea.
Posted By: bersh Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/23/18
1 jar peperoncinis
1 stick butter

Simple and awesome

The Mississippi pot roast is awesome. The only thing I add is a couple cups of beef broth or stock to it if I'm cooking venison.
Posted By: bersh Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/23/18
Check out the Italian Beef thread - turns out awesome every time. If you use venison, again, use beef broth.

Link to Italian Beef thread
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/23/18
Brown that roast real good in a big pan. Take out the meat and deglaze with a bit of wine or beer. Scrape up the find and add a cup or two of beef stock. Put the meat and liquid in the crock with some carrot , celery, onion and or shallot.

Toss in some herbs you like, some salt and pepper, and what ever else sounds good. Cook until tender. Probably 3-4 hours.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/23/18
I cooked one of thos Mississippi roasts like that recently and the peperoncinis added too much sourness to my taste.
Heat was nice
Posted By: Terryk Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/23/18
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Brown that roast real good in a big pan. Take out the meat and deglaze with a bit of wine or beer. Scrape up the find and add a cup or two of beef stock. Put the meat and liquid in the crock with some carrot , celery, onion and or shallot.

Toss in some herbs you like, some salt and pepper, and what ever else sounds good. Cook until tender. Probably 3-4 hours.

I also think browning adds some depth to the dish. I like to toss the roast on the grill to brown, adds flavor, and no extra pans to wash.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/23/18

buy a rack of pork baby back ribs......

cut in 2-3 rib sections......season & place in crock pot.....

bone down in water......cook low four hrs or so

pre heat grill or oven.....coat with BBQ sause

crack open a cold beer...leave in oven 45 minutes or so.....325* ish

enjoy with fries..baked taters and of course cole slaw
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/23/18
3 lb Venison roast add enough chicken broth to go about halfway up the roast. Add 2 packages dry onion soup mix and a can of tomato sauce. Cook with crockpot on high for 5-6 hrs. Add potatoes and carrots for the last 2-3 hrs if desired. Very simple and very good.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/23/18
We like to just use salt and pepper...or maybe a seasoned salt like Alpine or Johnnys's.

After a while add the vegetables. Works pretty well. Pretty much like NEBHUNTER above.

Yesterday I cooked a chuck roast on the stove.....because I was too lazy to set up a crock pot.

It was about a 4 pound chuck. Used tomato paste, garlic, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, worchestershire sause, and salt and pepper.

One large onion sliced thin.

Cooked all that for about 6 hours and make sort a pulled beef sandwich.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/23/18
1 jar peperoncinis
1 stick butter

Simple and awesome

This is good with pork too. I’ve never added the whole jar of pepperocini peppers, just about 8. Do you add the juice too?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by Terryk
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I also think browning adds some depth to the dish. I like to toss the roast on the grill to brown, adds flavor, and no extra pans to wash.

Browning brings a LOT to the table! Not browning meat before the crockpot is every bit as horrible as ice in good whisky and pedophilia... just saying... wink
Posted By: bersh Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by SandBilly
1 jar peperoncinis
1 stick butter

Simple and awesome

This is good with pork too. I’ve never added the whole jar of pepperocini peppers, just about 8. Do you add the juice too?

I didn't notice it said a jar of pepperoncinis. I agree that is too much - like stated above I use about 8 of them.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/24/18
It’s fine to use half the jar. I use the whole thing and all the brine, yeah. I don’t like to run out of them after one serving. They’re good.
Posted By: Rustydust Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/24/18
1 jar peperoncinis
1 stick butter

Simple and awesome

Add veggies OK? Dont add any water? How long do you cook it and on high or low?
Posted By: rem141r Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/24/18
i do it like this

heat oil in deep pan till hot
coat roast in seasoned flour. (Salt, pepper, garlic powder)
brown roast on all sides until it has a little crust
mix up a can or two of real beef broth with a packet of onion soup mix.
put roast in the crockpot and dump mixture over it
cook on high for several hours until fork tender
pull roast and let rest for 10 min
mix up some more season flour with enough water to make a pourable slurry and add that to the juice in the crock and stir

if you want to add some veg's to the crock you can. onions, celery, carrots, spuds, etc. i usually don't because they come out too mushy for my tastes.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by Rustydust
1 jar peperoncinis
1 stick butter

Simple and awesome

Add veggies OK? Dont add any water? How long do you cook it and on high or low?

I’ve only ever added potatoes and that’s good, but add whatever you fancy. If I only use half the jar of peppers I add a little water or chicken broth or beef broth. Browning meat is never, ever, ever a bad idea. I make this roast when I’m being lazy but browning or pan-searing the meat first will always make it better. Sometimes I throw in bacon fat too. Recipes are just for getting started. I rarely follow a recipe exactly unless it’s my own.

Garlic is also never a bad idea. On high or low until it’s tender.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/24/18
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
1 jar peperoncinis
1 stick butter

Simple and awesome

I’m not familiar with pepperonis? What is that?

Pepperoncinis are Italian style pickled peppers, probably the kind that Peter Piper picked back in the day.
Posted By: deflave Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/25/18
How in the fugk can somebody not know what a pepperoncini is? Even Subway has pepperoncinis for krise sake.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/27/18
Cut back the LQ ..in the crock.. The water will come from the veges and the meat !
Posted By: bersh Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/27/18
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Cut back the LQ ..in the crock.. The water will come from the veges and the meat !

True for pork and beef. Venison is very lean and the meat needs all the moisture it can get.
Posted By: OldJeepGuy Re: Crockpot Roast Recipes. - 03/28/18
6.5 lb. pork loin in the CP the other day. Cut into serving sized slices pre-cook then rub generously with OO and sprinkle each slice with garlic & herb seasoning. Let rest in fridge for a few hours or overnight. Place into CP and season to taste with kosher salt. Cook.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
© 24hourcampfire