Home
Posted By: Rooster7 Jambalaya... - 05/18/18
I picked up a couple of packages of Jambalaya mix. (Rice and seasoning)

I've never made it before. What else do you put in it? Sausage? Chicken? Both?
Posted By: mathman Re: Jambalaya... - 05/18/18
You can use pieces of smoked sausage, cooked pieces of chicken or pork or beef, or all of the above.

The package doesn't have suggestions?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Jambalaya... - 05/18/18
Make sure you add lots of okra.......
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Shit stirrer. grin
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/18/18
Originally Posted by mathman
You can use pieces of smoked sausage, cooked pieces of chicken or pork or beef, or all of the above.

The package doesn't have suggestions?

Not that I saw.

How about shrimp? Can you put that in there too?
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/18/18

Shit stirrer. grin

Glad you said that. I probably would have! lol
You can do shrimp.
What brand of mix?
Isn't Jambalaya sort of a cajun version of a Spanish Paella?

Reckon you can do what ever you want.
There are Cajun and Creole versions, lots of overlap and very flexible.

I have to sign off now.
I have not tried a Jambalaya yet.

Damn good idea!
Posted By: Youper Re: Jambalaya... - 05/18/18
Andoulle and shrimp. Don't put the shrimp in too early.
Posted By: blanket Re: Jambalaya... - 05/18/18
Originally Posted by Youper
Andoulle and shrimp. Don't put the shrimp in too early.
and scallops
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Jambalaya... - 05/18/18
I'm not sure if they were Cajun or Creole but all the recipes I've seen call for sausage and chicken or sausage and shrimp.....to be safe I'd use all three.

I've never made it but it sounds a lot like dirty rice with different meat and tomatos......I bet it's good.
Posted By: Youper Re: Jambalaya... - 05/18/18
More like an etoufee, not so dry.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/20/18
Mathman, it's King Kooker brand Jambalya mix. I found it at Fleet Farm. I guess it does say to use sausage, chicken, wild game, shrimp etc. I have not made it yet because my wife is recovering from surgery and I want her to be able to try it. I did go pick up red and green bell peppers, andouille sausage, smoked sausage, boneless skinless chicken breasts, mushrooms, crushed tomatoes, peanut oil etc. so I probably should make it today. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for the replies!

Rooster Jim
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/20/18
I have not tried a Jambalaya yet.

Damn good idea!

I'll bet your kids will love it, Jim
Posted By: TheKid Re: Jambalaya... - 05/20/18
Used to be a Cajun restaurant on International in Anchorage that served gumbalaya, gumbo poured over a bowl of jambalaya. It was excellent as was everything on the menu.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Jambalaya... - 05/20/18
I don't understand the reason for using a mix. It's such a simple dish.
Posted By: mathman Re: Jambalaya... - 05/21/18
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Not everybody handloads either.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/21/18

Because I saw it before I researched what it even was or what went in it.

I didn't get it made yesterday. Shooting for tonight or tomorrow night.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Jambalaya... - 05/21/18
I like to put some boudin in with it. It will cook down but gives it a little more bite. Not that you can get boudin there.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/21/18
There is guy from Louisiana that comes around once per month in a big truck and sells fresh seafood, crawfish boil spices etc. I should ask him about boudin.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18
Seems like chicken, shrimp and andouille are must haves, but it's one of those regional dishes where what is on hand is what goes into the dish. I don't see a problem with a spice mix if you don't have a full selection of spices in the cupboard.

I have some Cajun friends who will bring back boudin from back home. I wouldn't put it in jambalaya, as I like it just the way it is.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Seems like chicken, shrimp and andouille are must haves, but it's one of those regional dishes where what is on hand is what goes into the dish. I don't see a problem with a spice mix if you don't have a full selection of spices in the cupboard.

I have some Cajun friends who will bring back boudin from back home. I wouldn't put it in jambalaya, as I like it just the way it is.

You can have it both ways, the keep making the stuff. That you've never had it that way is a compelling endorsement.
Posted By: Judman Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18

Exactly
Posted By: sse Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18
mixes are easy and good to get started, but after that it's more fun to do all the seasoning from scratch

P.S. except for mathman who always takes the easy route
Posted By: deflave Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18
It's akin to chili.

Whatever your heart desires.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18
Looking forward to a report!
Posted By: Youper Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

We can get boudin here, but I will use nearly anything else first. I just don't care for that stuff, or at least what we get. It's made local by some Cajun transplants.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18
Ask an ye shall receive Jimbo! I made it tonight.

One word: AMAZING!!!

I used smoked sausage,andouille sausage and cubed chicken breasts seasoned with Tony Chachere's because i was out of Cajun seasoning.

I'll post pics tomorrow. This laptop at home is messed up.

Jim
I diced celery, onion, green pepper, red pepper, onion and garlic and used chicken broth instead of water like the package said to use. It is really, really good. I'm going to have to freeze most of it because there is way too much to eat soon.
Posted By: Youper Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18
I like Tony's on any meat I pan fry. For other stuff I find it too salty and try to replicate it with Cayenne, paprika and garlic powder.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18
Good stuff 7# Rooster !
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18

apples and oranges. Jambalaya won't blow up if you get the amount of trinity wrong.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18

apples and oranges. Jambalaya won't blow up if you get the amount of trinity wrong.

Ha! I've had more than one "blow up" eating spicy foods. Hellava mess. Lends new meaning to "carrying the baton".
[Linked Image]screen capture windows
Posted By: Swampdude Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18
If you make it again forget the rice and serve it with pasta. It's then called pastalaya and many, including myself, prefer it to rice. Here is a link: https://www.louisianacookin.com/pastalaya/
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18
Look fantastic Rooster

Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Swampdude
If you make it again forget the rice and serve it with pasta. It's then called pastalaya and many, including myself, prefer it to rice. Here is a link: https://www.louisianacookin.com/pastalaya/

I'll try that. Thanks!
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Look fantastic Rooster

Thanks! Not too shabby for a first timer with a "mix" - grin
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/22/18
Originally Posted by Swampdude

I’d pour it over some wide egg noodles.

Over thick and chunky mashed taters would be great also.

Heck I’d eat it out of the pot with my hands.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Jambalaya... - 05/23/18
The mixes can surprise you.
I bought two boxes of red beans and rice awhile back.
Didn't expect much, but thought they would be a quick side.
Piss me off. It was almost as good as the stuff I spend all day cooking.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/23/18
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
The mixes can surprise you.
I bought two boxes of red beans and rice awhile back.
Didn't expect much, but thought they would be a quick side.
Piss me off. It was almost as good as the stuff I spend all day cooking.

LOL
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Jambalaya... - 05/23/18

That right there has inspired me Rooster.
Next time I go to town I'm gonna get the makings and try a batch myself.

As far as the mix goes.....I'll make my own but I dam sure wouldn't turn down a bowl of your first batch.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/23/18
HEY! Thought I’d share the display of sausages my local supermarket expanded for this weekends BBQs this was only one area.

A wholenother area of sausages, brats and dogs behind me not pictured.

SHEESH! Most of these are from a local meat outfit Sunnyvalley a few miles up the road. You can see the merger Johnsonville display at the end there.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mathman Re: Jambalaya... - 05/23/18

That looks quite red. I believe you said crushed tomatoes were involved. That's in the Creole classification which makes sense for a kit from a company out of the New Orleans area.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Jambalaya... - 05/24/18
I found this article which helps shed a some light on the difference.

https://www.camelliabrand.com/cajun-jambalaya-versus-creole-jambalaya-whats-the-difference/

I don't know that much about Cajun vs Creole....or really care for that matter but I like my Gumbo without tomato's so I think I'll make my first batch of Jambalaya without as well.
HEY! Thought I’d share the display of sausages my local supermarket expanded for this weekends BBQs this was only one area.

SHEESH! Most of these are from a local meat outfit Sunnyvalley a few miles up the road. You can see the merger Johnsonville display at the end there.

[Linked Image]

You bastard......

Funny you should mention it though.......I got tired of listening to myself whine about the sausage wasteland called ID so I ordered a grinder and stuffer the other day. The grinder showed up today but I'm still waiting on the stuffer and a seasoning/casing pack I also ordered but I should be in the sausage business in the next week or so. I'll start a thread when I'm up and running.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/24/18
Charlie,
Hope you like it!

Here is the recipe I referenced. I used a red and green pepper and of course the rice came in that mix thing. I also skipped the file powder because I hate that stuff. (Just kidding. I have no idea what that is haha)

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/31848/jambalaya/

OH and I used Andouille sausage and smoked sausage.

[Linked Image]

Good Lord! That's a fine selection!
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

https://www.camelliabrand.com/cajun-jambalaya-versus-creole-jambalaya-whats-the-difference/

I don't know that much about Cajun vs Creole....or really care for that matter but I like my Gumbo without tomato's so I think I'll make my first batch of Jambalaya without as well.

Interesting article, Charlie.
Posted By: Youper Re: Jambalaya... - 05/24/18

Based on this mine is more Creole than Cajun, but whatever it is I like it.
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Jambalaya... - 05/24/18
Field Grade,
Sent out 4 sacks of NC and SC grits today to you . They should arrive Sat., they said you must have a pretty rural address, so hopefully they get there. I enclosed a note, hope you enjoy, any questions you can call me , I will PM my #. BTW the yellow are my favorite, especially with fried fish.

Enjoy and let me know how like our local not big company grits taste.
Charlie,
Hope you like it!

Here is the recipe I referenced. I used a red and green pepper and of course the rice came in that mix thing. I also skipped the file powder because I hate that stuff. (Just kidding. I have no idea what that is haha)

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/31848/jambalaya/

OH and I used Andouille sausage and smoked sausage.

File is ground sassafras it will thicken the gumbo or whatever you add it to, hence the HW song Jambalaya, File Gumbo.
I'm not sure if they were Cajun or Creole but all the recipes I've seen call for sausage and chicken or sausage and shrimp.....to be safe I'd use all three.

I've never made it but it sounds a lot like dirty rice with different meat and tomatos......I bet it's good.

Not like dirty rice, it has livers and gizzards ground up in it. Jambalya is different, usually is made with shrimp , and andouille. It's about like a wet perleau that we cook here in the Low Country.
Originally Posted by rrconductor

Not like dirty rice, it has livers and gizzards ground up in it. Jambalya is different, usually is made with shrimp , and andouille. It's about like a wet perleau that we cook here in the Low Country.

Pay attention.

PS.......livers and gizzards are also "meat". smile

Thanks for the Grits.......can't wait to try them.
I owe ya one.

And yes......I'm pretty rural.....North Central ID is actually like a third world country.....Quick Grits and Johnsonville Brats are in the exotic foods section.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/24/18
Look forward to that thread.👍

[Linked Image]

You bastard......

Funny you should mention it though.......I got tired of listening to myself whine about the sausage wasteland called ID so I ordered a grinder and stuffer the other day. The grinder showed up today but I'm still waiting on the stuffer and a seasoning/casing pack I also ordered but I should be in the sausage business in the next week or so. I'll start a thread when I'm up and running.
Posted By: deflave Re: Jambalaya... - 05/24/18
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I like to put some boudin in with it. It will cook down but gives it a little more bite. Not that you can get boudin there.

Can you get boudin in other southern states like you can in LA? I remember driving through LA and you could just make pit stops and grab some. I'd love to get some for the family once we're east bound and down.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Jambalaya... - 05/24/18
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Can you get boudin in other southern states like you can in LA? I remember driving through LA and you could just make pit stops and grab some. I'd love to get some for the family once we're east bound and down.

I get at the grocery store in TN with no problem, same with MS. I'm assuming FL etc will be about the same.

Like you said, it LA you can get it about anywhere already cooked. You'll like have to cook it yourself
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/24/18
Tony Chachere's has a website. They have a cookbook for sale that has excellent recipes for cajun and creole food. Also lots of good wild game and seafood recipes. Their version of Jambalaya is the best I've tried.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Jambalaya... - 05/24/18

That looks quite red. I believe you said crushed tomatoes were involved. That's in the Creole classification which makes sense for a kit from a company out of the New Orleans area.

Yes. My thoughts too as my jamabalya isn't that tomato-laden.

Looks great though.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Yes. My thoughts too as my jamabalya isn't that tomato-laden.

Looks great though.

I'll have to try the Cajun version next, once this is gone. I have 3 big containers of it in the freezer. It made an ass load! lol
Another good thing about these Cajun/Creole dishes is that most of them freeze pretty well.
At least my Gumbo and Red Beans and Rice do but neither one of them get the rice mixed in until they're served.
Haven't tried freezing Dirty Rice or Hoppin John.
Posted By: lynntelk Re: Jambalaya... - 05/24/18

JAMBALAYA

1 lb. Pork Chopped
Salt & Pepper (to season pork)
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 lb. Boneless Chicken Thighs Chopped
1 lb. Smoked Sausage
1 Onion
1 Bell Pepper
1 Bunch Green Onion
2 Sticks of Celery
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Teaspoon of salt
1 Teaspoon of Creole Seasoning
3 Beef Bouillon Cubes
2 Cups Rice
3 & 1/2 Cups Water
1 Tablespoon of Hot Sauce
2 Tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet

First, start out by heating a cast iron pot over medium heat.
Prep your vegetables and move to the fridge.
Season the pork well with salt and pepper.
Add the vegetable oil to the pot and sear the pork in the vegetable oil once there is no more pink, turn the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes stirring every so often. Meanwhile chop your chicken and sausage.
At the 25 minute mark, add the chicken and sausage to the pork and cook for another 10 minutes stirring. At this point preheat your oven to 300° After 10 minutes, Remove all of the meat so that there's nothing left but the drippings. Add the onion, bell pepper, green onion, celery, garlic, salt, creole seasoning, beef cubes and sauté until completely soft, roughly 25 minutes. Add your water, meats, rice, hot sauce, Kitchen Bouquet, and stir.
Bring the mix to a boil, once boiling, cover, turn the fire off, and put the pot in the oven. Cook for exactly 1 hour. REMEMBER, do NOT touch that oven! Leave it alone! Trust me 😊 Once done, remove the jambalaya, and set aside for 5 minutes. STILL, DO NOT TOUCH IT! When the time is up, remove the cover, mix everything well, and serve.
Use 7Qt. Cast Iron Dutch oven with lid.

You will thank me.
Posted By: Youper Re: Jambalaya... - 05/24/18
I don't get all that oven stuff.

1) Fry up meat in a cast iron pot that has a lid.

2) Add the rest of ingredients except rice and shrimp.

3) Bring to a boil.

4) Add rice and shrimp & cover.

5) Turn down heat a simmer for 15 minutes.

6) Turn off heat, uncover, stir and let stand for 5 minutes.

7) Eat.
Originally Posted by lynntelk

JAMBALAYA

1 lb. Pork Chopped
Salt & Pepper (to season pork)
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 lb. Boneless Chicken Thighs Chopped
1 lb. Smoked Sausage
1 Onion
1 Bell Pepper
1 Bunch Green Onion
2 Sticks of Celery
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Teaspoon of salt
1 Teaspoon of Creole Seasoning
3 Beef Bouillon Cubes
2 Cups Rice
3 & 1/2 Cups Water
1 Tablespoon of Hot Sauce
2 Tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet

First, start out by heating a cast iron pot over medium heat.
Prep your vegetables and move to the fridge.
Season the pork well with salt and pepper.
Add the vegetable oil to the pot and sear the pork in the vegetable oil once there is no more pink, turn the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes stirring every so often. Meanwhile chop your chicken and sausage.
At the 25 minute mark, add the chicken and sausage to the pork and cook for another 10 minutes stirring. At this point preheat your oven to 300° After 10 minutes, Remove all of the meat so that there's nothing left but the drippings. Add the onion, bell pepper, green onion, celery, garlic, salt, creole seasoning, beef cubes and sauté until completely soft, roughly 25 minutes. Add your water, meats, rice, hot sauce, Kitchen Bouquet, and stir.
Bring the mix to a boil, once boiling, cover, turn the fire off, and put the pot in the oven. Cook for exactly 1 hour. REMEMBER, do NOT touch that oven! Leave it alone! Trust me 😊 Once done, remove the jambalaya, and set aside for 5 minutes. STILL, DO NOT TOUCH IT! When the time is up, remove the cover, mix everything well, and serve.
Use 7Qt. Cast Iron Dutch oven with lid.

You will thank me.

I saw a similar recipe that called for ham instead of pork......either way sounds good.
Posted By: lynntelk Re: Jambalaya... - 05/24/18
I don't get all that oven stuff.

1) Fry up meat in a cast iron pot that has a lid.

2) Add the rest of ingredients except rice and shrimp.

3) Bring to a boil.

4) Add rice and shrimp & cover.

5) Turn down heat a simmer for 15 minutes.

6) Turn off heat, uncover, stir and let stand for 5 minutes.

7) Eat.

Because.....it will not look like tomato soup when you're done like some of the other ........stuff I have seen and read. But to each his own. While I have the stage..........no to beans in the chili.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Jambalaya... - 05/25/18
The oven might be better if you have an electric range due to the difficulty in controlling the burner heat but the stove top won't heat the house up in the summer like an oven will. Either way I'm pretty sure you'll end up with the same results as long as the lid's air tight you don't open it to peek.....that's the hard part.
Posted By: Youper Re: Jambalaya... - 05/25/18
Yeah, the only way I've been able to use an electric stove for this is to preheat a second burner for the simmer.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/25/18
Get yourself a 5qt nonstick deep sauté pan with a clear lid that way you don’t have to lift lid.

Wife uses one for Spanish rice and a few other rice/pasta dishes that require simmering for water absorption.

She got hers from Costco, Telfal I believe.
Lodge sells Glass lids for their CI dutch ovens.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Jambalaya... - 05/25/18
There’s a real good idea.
I'm missing something. What information are you getting through the glass lid that is helpful? I have one from another pot that perfectly fits a 5 quart Dutch oven of mine, but I just use the iron lid.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Jambalaya... - 05/25/18
Yeah, the only way I've been able to use an electric stove for this is to preheat a second burner for the simmer.

I do the same burner shuffle but use my thin ceramic pans rather than my CI on the glass cooktop when doing so. Quicker thermal heat loss.

I hate that damn glass (*@@$*&^%$#))& cooktop with a passion.
I guess that I am just blessed with my 70's vintage harvest gold gas stove. laugh
Posted By: mathman Re: Jambalaya... - 05/25/18
There's a reason when something is going well people say "Now we're cooking with gas!"
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Jambalaya... - 05/25/18
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

I do the same burner shuffle but use my thin ceramic pans rather than my CI on the glass cooktop when doing so. Quicker thermal heat loss.

I hate that damn glass (*@@$*&^%$#))& cooktop with a passion.

We have a glass top S.S. electric. It's pretty, prettier than any gas range.

There, thats all the good I can say about the p.o.s.
laugh
I'm missing something. What information are you getting through the glass lid that is helpful? I have one from another pot that perfectly fits a 5 quart Dutch oven of mine, but I just use the iron lid.

I was just passing the information on since the subject came up.

I use the Cast Iron lid that came with my dutch oven. I love the suspense.
Posted By: Youper Re: Jambalaya... - 05/26/18
We're 15 minutes out from a half-assed version I made from what was on hand:

1/2 # pork cut into schnitzel fried in olive oil
1 can tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 cup water
cover top with cayenne, black pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
bring to boil
add 1/2 cup rice
turn to simmer
cover
Posted By: Youper Re: Jambalaya... - 05/26/18
With some Tabasco Chipotle that was great.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Jambalaya... - 05/26/18
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm YUMMY ! (pinky extended) wink laugh
© 24hourcampfire