Home
What do you guys/gals recommend for an instant read meat thermometer?

The prices and reviews are all over the board so I thought I'd check with the fine folks of the 'Fire. smile
Best is the Thermopen MK4 but it ain’t cheap.

I use several of these. Super accurate fast easy and I haven’t had to replace batteries in three years. Taylor Weekend Warrior.
[Linked Image]
Thanks Fat. And you're right! They are not cheap! Holy balls hahaha
any digital is fine. The measurements don't have to be to a millionth of a degree.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
any digital is fine. The measurements don't have to be to a millionth of a degree.

I'm starting to believe that, Sam.

I read the reviews on the ThermoPro and they are 96 - 97% positive. A guy who has a ThermoPen said he compared them side by side and said while the "Pro" isn't "built like a tank" like the "Pen", it worked just fine. A few seconds slower to read the temp than the "Pen" but it read the same temps.

(Of course, it could be the manufacturer posting all those reviews but for $7 bucks w/ free shipping on eBay, it's worth a shot) lol
I have two of the Thermapen's, one old style that that uses the coin style battery and one of the new style that uses standard batteries and has a back light. They both perform flawlessly. Watch the ThermoWorks website as they have pretty frequent sales and closeouts on colors that are not selling.

Mike
if i was ocd i'd get three of them and use the two that are closest in measurement, throw the other one out
I use a high dollar Cooper Atkins Professional digital out fit. Several different probes, long extension cables, lots of different read outs. It's good, in fact it's VERY good, but then my cheap Taylor digital probe gives virtually the same temps.
What you pay for it makes very little difference for home use.
Anything from thermoworks.
Thermapen. I don’t like standing there with my cooker lid open forever.
I have an elcheapo LEM remote that works fine.
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
I have two of the Thermapen's, one old style that that uses the coin style battery and one of the new style that uses standard batteries and has a back light. They both perform flawlessly. Watch the ThermoWorks website as they have pretty frequent sales and closeouts on colors that are not selling.

Mike

Original finally gave up the ghost after years of daily use. Now using the newest version MK4. Even better...
I'm like Jim on LEM CHEAPO. Works great for me.
Originally Posted by sse
if i was ocd i'd get three of them and use the two that are closest in measurement, throw the other one out

As cheap as the ThermoPro is thats not a half bad idea, actually...
i use one now that precisely matches room temperature shown on the hvac thermostat...every time
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

Mike

yup
Originally Posted by sse
i use one now that precisely matches room temperature shown on the hvac thermostat...every time

Curve fitting to one data point?
I use this one. Works great
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by sse

Curve fitting to one data point?

dunno...through the seasons interior temp varies dramatically, doggone if the reading doesn't match the thermostat every time, if nothing else, consistent
I wasn't thinking about dramatic interior temp variations giving more points. That said, I hope you're calibrating a couple of hundred degrees below the range of actual use. grin
Thermapen
I got one of Webers blue tooth thermometers so you can check and watch the temp on your phone while you do other stuff. Works great, but not as good a range as I would like. you can put up to 4 probes on it, if you are cooking more than one item.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/igrill/weber-25969.html

I wasn't thinking about dramatic interior temp variations giving more points.

i don't wanna know what you were thinking... laugh
Thermapen. You will never regret the money you spend on this. I have had one on the same battery for 5years. Just sent it with my son to college and bought a new one for myself.
© 24hourcampfire