Home
Posted By: Tarkio Prime Rib - Suggestions??? - 11/22/18
Having prime rib today which is our normal special holiday meal.

Going to cook it on a Green Mountain Pellet Grill.

Any suggestions for seasoning, cook time, cook approach??

Thanks in advance.
How do you usually do the roast Tarkio?
Posted By: saskfox Re: Prime Rib - Suggestions??? - 11/22/18
I've done several on the bbq wrapped in foil or not wrapped on the top rack. I put a prime rib spice and a little montreal steak spice on then vac seal and let sit a day before cooking. Take it out of the fridge and let it warm up some or you will have well done on the outside and rare/very rare in the middle. I'd say around 20-25 minutes per pound the bigger the longer. I use a meat thermometer to judge when it's done.
Posted By: sse Re: Prime Rib - Suggestions??? - 11/22/18
if you can get atvalaska to answer, do what he sez
Posted By: 35 Re: Prime Rib - Suggestions??? - 11/22/18
A good piece of beef needs nothing but salt and pepper!
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Prime Rib - Suggestions??? - 11/23/18
Originally Posted by wabigoon
How do you usually do the roast Tarkio?

I have experimented over the years. I like a crust on my roast so I have played with softened butter mixed with flour and adding the seasoning to that.

For seasoning I use salt and pepper. I like rosemary and thyme on my prime rib along with the salt and pepper and over the years toyed with other things.

Buddy has given me a rub that has lime Chile, savory, garlic, salt, pepper, brown sugar, chipotle powder, onion and mustard powder and maybe a bit of cayenne. Used a variant of that on steaks a month or so ago without the sugar. Was pretty good.

What do you guys use for a temp on a pellet grill and for how long?
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Prime Rib - Suggestions??? - 11/23/18
Originally Posted by Tarkio
What do you guys use for a temp on a pellet grill and for how long?

Not many pellet guys here, Tarkio so your question may go unanswered. I have a Green Mountain Davy Crockett but have never done a PR.

Several GM discussion groups on the 'net but since you are here may I suggest you prep your PR as desired then return to the smoker with the meat COLD and put a good smoke to it and finish in your oven. Possibly return to the smoker to set the crust. Good luck.

Which model do you have ?

Google fu:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...5i30j0i13i5i30j0i5i30j0i8i30.dktRY2IZR7s
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Prime Rib - Suggestions??? - 11/24/18
I've done them on my FEC100 pellet grill several times, but I always finish them on my BGE. Smoke on the pellet until the internal is 106-108* then move to the BGE that is 600+* until the internal is no higher that 116 - 118*. Remove and rest uncovered for at least 20 - 30 minutes before slicing. We are a family of rare, medium rare eaters so I usually slice when it hits 130*. As far as seasoning goes I just use equal parts of kosher salt, course ground black pepper and garlic powder. I use Tarry's (atvalaska) au jus as I've never had better.

Mike
Posted By: RNF Re: Prime Rib - Suggestions??? - 11/24/18
Tarkio,

Here is how I done mine. I started with the Green Mountain pellet grill but finished over direct fire to get the sear on the outside. I think the internal was at 115 degree when I moved it from the pellet grill to over direct fire and 127 degree when I pulled it off the fire.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...cs/10980145/prime-rib-roast#Post10980145
Posted By: ihookem Re: Prime Rib - Suggestions??? - 12/01/18
I just go out for Prime Rib and tell the waitress I want Prime Rib medium rare. I do other steaks on a charcoal grill and marinate it for a few hrs.
Salt, pepper,colmans dry mustard and rosemary. Make a dry rub and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Bring up to room temp and cook your favorite way.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Prime Rib - Suggestions??? - 12/02/18
I have to have horseradish on the side.
Sweat down grated onion and crushed garlic in olive oil. Add Montreal seasoning. Let cool and add fresh rosemary. Remove ribs, slather all serfaces in slurry. The ribs back on roast as you please. Just not beyond 120!
Best prime rib I’ve had we used to make in alto sham ovens. Low and slow. I think the temp was 225 or 240?

Simple and generous rub of kosher salt, cracked pepper, granulated garlic.
https://loafed-beans.tumblr.com/post/173113436054/one-of-my-favorite-scenes-from-letterkenny
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Prime Rib - Suggestions??? - 12/03/18
Originally Posted by 35
A good piece of beef needs nothing but salt and pepper!

and a pinch of granulated garlic.
© 24hourcampfire