Home
Posted By: Prwlr Bread pudding - 11/29/18
Any of you gents or the wifey have a good recipe for bread pudding. Have been on the IN, just wanting a campfire recommendation. My mother made it with day old Mexican sweet bread but had no recipe. She cooked with a handful of this and a handful of that with a pinch or salt, spice...etc. Often decided if proportions were correct by "feel" of dough, batter...etc. I have no such talent.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Bread pudding - 11/29/18
I remember it having raisins and cheese on top. Ever had it like that?
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Bread pudding - 11/29/18
I remember raisins but have never particularly liked raisins in cookies, etc. Do like raisins by them selves or in trail mix. My mother did on occasion also add shredded coconut.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Bread pudding - 11/29/18
Haven't had that since I was a little kid when my grandma made it. I wanna say it had some cheese on top. I guess it's just sweet,soggy bread with whatever the hell you want in it.
Posted By: postoak Re: Bread pudding - 11/29/18
Papadeaux's makes the best bread pudding I've ever had. It has raisins, but I think they are soaked in something. Also has Bourbon sauce served on the side, and vanilla ice cream on top. I can't find the recipe, though.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Bread pudding - 11/29/18

I make mine in a slow cooker.

Spray inside of cooker with cooking spray.
Cube about 10 slices of raisin bread (about 5 cups).
Throw in another handful of raisins.
Mix a 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk, a cup of water, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 4 eggs (previously beaten).
Pour the mixture over the bread and root the bread around to get the cubes coated.
Cover and cook on the low setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

My now-gone father-in-law found this to be very acceptable.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Bread pudding - 11/29/18
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I make mine in a slow cooker.

Spray inside of cooker with cooking spray.
Cube about 10 slices of raisin bread (about 5 cups).
Throw in another handful of raisins.
Mix a 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk, a cup of water, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 4 eggs (previously beaten).
Pour the mixture over the bread and root the bread around to get the cubes coated.
Cover and cook on the low setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

My now-gone father-in-law found this to be very acceptable.

That looks good john.

I love it, but have never made it. My mom's was awesome of course.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Bread pudding - 11/29/18
This one is the best I've ever had & I love bread & Butter pudding !

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/bonkers-bread-butter-panettone-pudding-tart/

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ironbender Re: Bread pudding - 11/29/18
Metric baking? What tbe hell?
smile
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Bread pudding - 11/29/18
Ya Mike, I wound not touch that with a three meter pole.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Bread pudding - 11/29/18
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ya Mike, I wound not touch that with a three meter metre pole.

Fixt ya cranky imperialistic buggers !

smile
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Bread pudding - 11/30/18
There's a chain buffet near where I used to live with a faux rum sauce. OH MY !!!! I have the recipe and just can't hit it.

Grumble grumble grumble
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Bread pudding - 11/30/18
Haven't had any in years but just talking about it makes me think of mom.

She wasn't the best cook in the world but her bread pudding was wonderful.

I just googled a few recipes....it doesn't look that hard to make so I may try a batch for Christmas.

Thanks for reminding me.

Posted By: Prwlr Re: Bread pudding - 11/30/18
Thanks for recipes, I will definetly try the slow cooker one.

Famous Dave's BBQ has some very good BP which they serve with ice cream and a propriety sauce. If you fill out their on line review questionnaire you get a free desert, for us it is always BP.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Bread pudding - 11/30/18
I cant post from my phone but Land O Lakes has a bread pudding with vanilla sauce recipe that we like very much.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Bread pudding - 11/30/18
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I cant post from my phone but Land O Lakes has a bread pudding with vanilla sauce recipe that we like very much.

https://www.landolakes.com/recipe/19278/old-fashioned-bread-pudding-with-vanilla-sauce/
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Bread pudding - 11/30/18
Yes sir! Thats the one we like.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Bread pudding - 11/30/18
Bread pudding is one of my favorite comfort foods. I make it 4 or 5 times a year. This reminds me I should make some soon! I like raisins and pecans in mine with the whiskey butter sauce on top.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Bread pudding - 11/30/18
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
This one is the best I've ever had & I love bread & Butter pudding !

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/bonkers-bread-butter-panettone-pudding-tart/

[Linked Image]

I wholeheartedly agree with you ! smile
Posted By: sse Re: Bread pudding - 11/30/18
hard sauce
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Bread pudding - 11/30/18
Brandy Butter !!

wink
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bread pudding - 11/30/18
Best bread pudding you ever tried. Served this in my restaurants
Bread Pudding

One baguette , cut into ΒΌ inch slices. Butter the slices, and place buttered side down in a 6 cup casserole dish. This should make three layers.
Spread about half a box of raisins between the layers.

Optional: shave half or all of a 4 ounce Ghiradelli White Chocolate baking bar, and sprinkle along with the raisins. Halfway through baking, top the pudding with more White Chocolate.

In a double boiler, scald three cups of whole milk, and a cup of heavy cream. Cook on simmer about 10 min. Remove from the heat, cool and add a teaspoon good vanilla.

Beat 4 eggs with 3/4 cup of sugar, and a dash of salt, to the ribbon stage. Add the scalded milk, a half cup at a time, while whisking.

Pour this over the bread slices, and let stand for 20 minutes or so, to allow the bread to absorb the liquid.

Place in a pre heated oven @350F. I put the pudding casserole in a pan of hot water. Bake for about an hour and a half. When a knife is inserted in the center, it should come out clean.

Hard Sauce

Soften a stick of unsalted butter to room temp.
Cream the butter with a cup of powdered sugar, and a pinch of salt
Gradually beat in a tablespoon of dark rum, a teaspoon vanilla, and two tablespoons cream.

Serve over the warm bread pudding
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Bread pudding - 12/01/18
Now that's what I'm talking about....maybe more hard sauce?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Bread pudding - 12/03/18
Did the the slow cooker recipe last night only difference was used honey wheat bread and added 1/2 tsp of Allspice and 1/2 tsp of nutmeg. Came out very good only down was no crunchy top but will also experiment with baking it.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Bread pudding - 12/03/18
OK. I'm a little slow right now. Recipe ???

Originally Posted by NVhntr
Now that's what I'm talking about....maybe more hard sauce?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Bread pudding - 12/08/18
I just use the recipe out of the wife's BH&G cookbook. I add about 1/2 cup of raisins and 1/2 cup of chopped pecans.
Instead of putting hard sauce on individual servings I spread it over the whole thing.
Leftovers are warmed in the microwave before serving.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire