Home
Made my first Hollandaise Sauce, which involves raw egg yolks. Tasted great on the asparagus. Yet every reference to it on the internet seems to tell you not to eat it due to the raw eggs.

Researching it, I found that each grocery store, standard egg (non premium), has about a 1 in 20,000 chance of carrying any sort of pathogen that can make you sick if eaten raw. Add on top of that that I used eggs from my own hens, which eggs are far less likely to contain pathogens than even premium grocery store eggs.

What say you? Worth the risk.

I probably wouldn't eat in on fugu.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I probably wouldn't eat in on fugu.

That went over my head. Can you rephrase it?

Puffer fish.
OK, Googled it. Poison puffer fish eaten by Japanese.
Was my way of saying that the risk seems almost nil.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Was my way of saying that the risk seems almost nil.

Yeah, I guess I'll keep making it.
Get the 1911 out of the shower and mail it to me. If you survive I'll return it ASAP.

Promise !
Why do you think your hens have a lower risk of salmonella?
Dont see why it would be a problem.

I used to fry my side pork crispy in college...just in case the green mold was bad for you.

Just look at me....I turned out fine!
If there was the slightest chance it would kill ya high end restaurants whose clients all have greedy lawyers wouldn't serve it.
Would seem you are searching for guarantees on something that can not be guaranteed.

Life is a risk.
]in the US, egg producers are required to wash their eggs and they are kept refrigerated. in the UK, eggs are not washed, and remain fresh for weeks. I guess nature makes them that way to keep them logger for hatching.

A man is ordering beef tongue at the butchers. the lady behind him said 'eew, I wouldn't eat any thing out of a cows mouth.' he turned around quizzically and said 'and yet you eat eggs?' grin
Very fussy older lady in my hometown. Gave the butcher a lot of grief. One day he saw her coming down the street. He had removed one faucet from a cow's udder for just this occasion. He snugged it up in his fly with the zipper holding it securely. When he turned from the block to face the lady, she let out a gasp. He said, "Did I leave that damned thing out again?", picked up the cleaver, flopped it on the block, and cut it in two. Lady left.
Easy to make it safe. Fireup the Binger.
Originally Posted by FatCity67

I must not be hip. I have no idea what you mean.
http://www.bing.lmgtfy.com/?s=b&q=safe+hollandaise+sauce
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Same here ????
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Same here ????

Binger = Googlefoo.
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Same here ????

Binger = Googlefoo.

What does a city in OK have to do with anything.......

Googlefoo = "Binger is a town in Caddo County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 672 at the 2010 census. It is the headquarters of the Caddo Nation of Oklahoma, who were settled in the area during the 1870s." Wikipedia
The mystery remains. Will there be a book ?
Is this close enough Denny? [Linked Image]
Darn tootin' ! Always wanted to to be a chikken rancher. Ride them roosters, boyz !!!

YEEEE HAAWWW
Unfortunately anytime you buy ingredients from the store there is a risk of pathogens and toxins being present.

I figure I'm gonna die someday so have had my share of foods such as raw fish, meats and eggs that run the risk of me getting sick. I even drink out of the occansional mountain stream without a filter.

The two times I've had food poisoning have been with food prepared by "professionals" So I tend to trust myself more than the pros.
Eat the damm eggs already ...hell just a week ago lettuce was going to kill us all .....what joke....
What about real Caesar dressing ?

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/229063/classic-restaurant-caesar-salad/

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/classic-caesar-salad

I ain't scared of no yolks !
i buy the little envelopes of hollandaise mix and they taste great and no eggs. but i'm as easy to please as a hog
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

The last few weeks you should be more afraid of the lettuce!
Truff Dat Sean !

Thankfully, it's not "salad" season, up here.
I fry my eggs sunny up, with runny yolks. Have done so all my life. Had two this morning. That may be inching close to 20,000 eggs, so perhaps I'm due for something I haven't ever experienced. Or not.

You grab public door handles, even in the restroom, and you're worried about an egg having a germ? Geez.
In high school I used to crack three eggs, put a cup of milk and a handful of ice into a blender every morning and make a frothy nog. I would pour that in a big plastic cup and slam it down as I walked to the school bus stop (or later drink it in my truck).

I did that for a solid 3 years, I don't think I hit 20K eggs over that time, but I never had any ill effects.
© 24hourcampfire