Home
Posted By: JamesJr Corned Beef - 12/08/18
Anyone make their own, and if so, tell me how. I have suddenly developed an urge to make some, something I've never done.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Corned Beef - 12/08/18
I love corned beef. Take your brisket. Rub it with a mix of coarse salt and pepper (1 part salt, 2 parts pepper). Smoke at 225-250 degrees until internal is about 200 degrees. I spritz with a vinegar/bbq solution every hour or so.

Never mind, that’s how you cook a brisket, not ruin it by corning it. 😉
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Corned Beef - 12/08/18
Yes sir! I made some the other day.

I have never cared for it....in its commercial pre packaged form.

This home made stuff was excellent. Brined it for 6 days.

Its my new favorite way to use a packer cut brisket.
[Linked Image]
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-corned-beef-recipe
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Corned Beef - 12/09/18
Thanks Jim. I'm going to try some, as all I've ever had was the pre-packaged sandwich cuts. Thin as paper and okay, but not great.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Corned Beef - 12/09/18
James,
Was that whole muscle, or the ground canned type.

I love the canned for sandwiches. For some reason, it is not available in deli loaf
sizes anymore.

Never use canned corn beef in a soup or braised dish. It's like a flavored sponge.
Batchy!
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Corned Beef - 12/09/18
Thanks JC
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Corned Beef - 12/10/18
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
[Linked Image]

That looks incredible!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Corned Beef - 12/10/18
I sure does!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Corned Beef - 12/10/18
Damn, that looks great Jim !
Going to try this too !

Posted By: wabigoon Re: Corned Beef - 12/10/18
Years ago, I mean over 40 years, we had a cow break her back on ice. This was back when a locker could butcher a non walking beef.

Not to digress too far about all beef being "cow", to some people, this was a cow. Some tough meat. We corned a lot of that.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Corned Beef - 12/29/18
My wife talked me out of making one on my own, and instead we bought one of the pre-packaged ones that was ready to cook. It wasn't bad, although I know that a homemade one would be better. As I said earlier, I'd only had it in sandwiches, and most of that was the package kind. As was expected, my wife didn't like it. If it ain't steak, hamburger, or beef roast, she finds a reason not to eat it. It's not something I'd want to eat every day, but it was a nice change from the other foods we'd had over Christmas.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Corned Beef - 12/29/18
Never made my own from other. But, can't even begin to count how many corned beef briskets I've made over the years.

Surprised at how many folks have never had or made it.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Corned Beef - 12/29/18
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Never made my own from other. But, can't even begin to count how many corned beef briskets I've made over the years.

Care to share your method or a link, please ?
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Care to share your method or a link, please ?

Denny,
I don't get fancy with them. Just look for a good cut (or 2) with as little fat as possible. Drop in boiling water. Turn the heat down and simmer until breaks with a fork. Turn heat back up a smidge. Add carrots, onion quarters,.and cannage in last hour.
My error, I thought you went through the pickling process.

Thanks.
Done a bunch of store bought CBs but never went through the process from A to Z.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Corned Beef - 12/29/18
M dad corned a deer ham in a crock in the refrigerator, turned out really good. Not sure what recipe he used. I think it soaked for about a week.
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Done a bunch of store bought CBs but never went through the process from A to Z.

Me either.

Jim C's looked pretty good, though!
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Corned Beef - 12/29/18
I've used this recipe a couple of times to corn them and I just skip the the smoking process that turns them into pastrami. It's good, but my take is that it's no better than store bought, more work and probably more expensive. There are just some things that are better left to the experts. YMMV.

Mike
Posted By: ronc Re: Corned Beef - 12/29/18
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
[Linked Image]

Looks so good I'll let the black-eyed peas and cornbread slide.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Corned Beef - 12/30/18
I do the pastrami move. I buy the store pre-made flats. The points have too much fat for me. I soak them in water overnight, then toss them in the smoker with a liberal coating of pickling spices. I smoke for 5-8 hours if I have the time. Then I place it in a pressure cooker with water and some juice like orange juice. That really helps get out the fat, and pushes water into it for moisture. Great for Reubans etc. If I need a dinner, I add cabbage, potatoes, and probably a little fruit like pears or apples for sweetness. That makes great comfort meal, and it it super easy.
I really like the smoker - pressure cooker method. The meat is fall apart moist, and not too fatty so you can stuff yourself without getting greased out.
© 24hourcampfire