Home
Posted By: 284LUVR Empanadas - 01/16/19
Can't recall seeing them mentioned here. Anybody making them and what are your favorite fillings ?

Boiled / deep fried ?
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Empanadas - 01/16/19
Empanadas or Empanadillas? I am used to cookie pan sized Empanadas. Empanadillas are deep fried at least any of the ones I have eaten.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Empanadas - 01/16/19
Actually its baked or deep fried. Havent had any home made in about 15 years. Grandmother used real pumpkin not the canned stuff to make her sweet ones. She also cream and pineapple filled ones. She never made deep fried or savory.

Lots of places locally to get them but just aren't thsame as homemade, like everything else.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Empanadas - 01/16/19
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Can't recall seeing them mentioned here. Anybody making them and what are your favorite fillings ?

Boiled / deep fried ?

Must be a 24HCF boycott on them ?
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Empanadas - 01/16/19
Deb makes Chimichangas, from time to time.

They're "similarish";

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/almost-famous-chimichangas-recipe-1973452

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

[Linked Image]
& "hand pies" !

Similarish too, but baked !

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/classic_cornish_pasty_67037

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

[Linked Image]

TFF, lots of places/reasons to use that image, on this site.

By similarish, I meant deep fried, crispy outer casing.

frown
I concur every culture in the world has their own multiple variations. Just fuggin with ya, sort of.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pastries

As an aside I can eat the heck out of chimichangas.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Empanadas - 01/16/19
The Original Empanada...the smaller one is called an empanadilla. The rest of the world has the variation of the Spanish empanada

here is one recipeEmpanada

[Linked Image]
My plumbers wife is PR. She makes them often . Time for a stroll through YouTube
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Empanadas - 01/16/19
Did a job years ago at a produce terminal in San Antonio TX. There was an elderly Mexican woman who would come by every morning around 6:30 selling warm homemade pineapple empanadas. Never had anything so delicious to go with my coffee.
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
There was an elderly Mexican woman who would come by every morning around 6:30 selling warm homemade pineapple empanadas. Never had anything so delicious to go with my coffee.

Ha !!!

Just bought 4 cans of pie filling. Pineapple does sound very good tho'.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Empanadas - 01/16/19
All these exotic sounding foods.
Vacationed in Ixtapa Mexico in the mid 1990's for a week. On the way from the Airport in Zihuatanejo to the condo we passed a lady in her front yard cooking empanadas in a large pink free standing clay oven and laying the cooked empanadas on top of the pony size rock wall next to the oven separating her yard from the street. We stopped and got a bag of several different kinds. Came back again a few days later on the way back from tuna fishing.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Empanadas - 01/16/19
Some sort of skin disorder?
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Empanadas - 01/17/19
I made some a few weekends ago. I used venison ,pork,onion, green pepper,celery cooked down then added a tablespoon of flour to make a bit of a gravy. Seasoned it with Slap ya Mama. I cheated and used flaky canned biscuits rolled very thin. Brushed the tops with an egg wash before baking.
They where good.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Empanadas - 01/17/19
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I made some a few weekends ago. I used venison ,pork,onion, green pepper,celery cooked down then added a tablespoon of flour to make a bit of a gravy. Seasoned it with Slap ya Mama. I cheated and used flaky canned biscuits rolled very thin. Brushed the tops with an egg wash before baking.
They where good.

Yum, more like a cornish pasty.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Empanadas - 01/18/19
Miami has a number of ethnic restaurants. One thing you learn quickly is that there are empanadas, and there are empanadas. They can be vastly different depending on what South American country the cook came from .
Hands down, the best are those made by Argentine restaurants. Of those, the best is Fufi's on 2nd Ave.
https://gauchoranchgrillboutique.wordpress.com/2016/11/02/fufis-empanadas/
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Empanadas - 01/18/19
Argentine gaucho's know their meat !
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Empanadas - 01/18/19
I'm not sure about eatin' something I can't pronounce?
Posted By: sse Re: Empanadas - 01/18/19
wah-bee-loon
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Empanadas - 02/17/19
I Realize this thread is a bit dated, but, for just a bit of variety try the Natchitoches meat pies. They are too, awesome.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Empanadas - 02/17/19
Strangely, they are not common to find here in northwest Louisiana and Natchitoches only about 70 miles away.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Empanadas - 02/17/19
If you’re ever in the area during Christmas Light Festival(w about 50,000) of your closest friends(!) go to Laysone’s. They are real famous and also ship everywhere. They are really good to serve in fall for tailgating or other similar gatherings. Try ‘em.
Posted By: Obi_Wan Re: Empanadas - 02/17/19
I used to get some at the weekly market in Anchorage, AK. They were beef with a vinegar based dipping sauce kind of like a chimichuri. Dang those were good.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Empanadas - 02/19/19
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Strangely, they are not common to find here in northwest Louisiana and Natchitoches only about 70 miles away.

I lived in Shreveport LA for a time. I traveled all over LA. I found Shreveport is more bbq territory but when I travelled south a bit into central LA I had many gas station lunches of meat pies and a hunk of boudin. I have lived in many places but never found anywhere that had better or diverse foods as
LA.
© 24hourcampfire