Home
Posted By: tomk Pork Loin - 01/27/19
Gents

Have 8# C/C pork to roast in oven today for deer camp kin. Cast iron roaster. Meat thermo was pronounced dead about ten minutes ago...

How much cooking time and temp do you recommend?

Appreciate it!

tom
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pork Loin - 01/27/19
I'd think an hour, to hour and a half at 350 should cook it. Enjoy.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Pork Loin - 01/27/19
I'd stick to the lower end of 'goons scale. But slightly pink pork doesn't scare me, and loin can dry out fast.
Just a note, we bought a new electric stove, and this oven cooks a lot faster.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Pork Loin - 01/27/19
Originally Posted by calikooknic
I'd stick to the lower end of 'goons scale. But slightly pink pork doesn't scare me, and loin can dry out fast.

I try to avoid pink, but my intention was to advise not to dry it out, especially if boneless.

Cal beat me to it.
Yup, dry is not "my cup of tea".
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pork Loin - 01/27/19
... and loin can dry out fast.

Amen! Someone needs to get the word out to organizations that see pork loin as one of those "we can pull this fund-raiser off with as little effort as possible" deals.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Pork Loin - 01/27/19
toss a bag of kraut in with it and it is less likely to dry out.
Posted By: tomk Re: Pork Loin - 01/28/19
thanks Gents!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Pork Loin - 01/31/19

Pink doesn't scare me, either. Picked up a couple thick pork chops from Sam's Club for $1.59/lb last Sunday. Quickly pan fried to brown and finished in oven at 400 for 20 mins. Outstanding, with slight pink interior. Used Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust & Pineapple Head + fresh ground black pepper to dust.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Pork Loin - 01/31/19
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Pink doesn't scare me, either. Picked up a couple thick pork chops from Sam's Club for $1.59/lb last Sunday. Quickly pan fried to brown and finished in oven at 400 for 20 mins. Outstanding, with slight pink interior. Used Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust & Pineapple Head + fresh ground black pepper to dust.

We're on the same page, Greg. Monday meat run then this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ybbclHqNhI
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Pork Loin - 01/31/19
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

That looks good, Denny.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Pork Loin - 02/01/19
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

I’ve done similar with pork tenderloin. Sear whole loin in butter. Use sea or kosher salt and LOTS of fresh cracked pepper. Transfer to hot oven. Remove and let meat rest, deglaze with more butter and add honey. Slice meat and drizzle sauce. Variations can use balsamic, red wine, apple juice or cider in the sauce.
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Pork Loin - 02/03/19
For the future best pork loin roast that is very tender and very juicy never dried out you preheat the oven to 500 Degrees. Wash and rinse your roast and season it how you like. Put the roast on a roasting pan with fat side up. Cook exactly 5 and 1/2 minutes per pound. When timer goes off, turn the oven off and leave the roast in the oven for 45 minutes. Take the roast out and leave on the roasting pan, place on your stovetop and cover with foil and let rest for 15 minutes then carve and enjoy. You won't ever do a roast any other way.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Pork Loin - 02/03/19
I've wrapped pork loin in bacon strips to keep it from drying out.

Turns out pretty darn tasty!

Virgil B.
Posted By: super T Re: Pork Loin - 02/03/19
Go get another remote thermometer. Overcooking pork is way too common. There is no reason to do that, must have some pink color in order to be moist.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Pork Loin - 02/04/19
We prefer bone in loins.

More flavor, doesn't dry out as fast.

Pork and sauerkraut is the New Years meal here,
And stores our those loins on sale.
3-5 big ones cut into chops and roasts, vac sealed, pretty much
meet our needs for the year.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Pork Loin - 02/07/19
My brother has a good way of cooking them. Cut a pocket in the top of it. Season hole roast. Fill pocket with butter and minced garlic. Make a tray to fit out of foil. Cover bottom with onion slices. Place roast on top uncovered. Cook over a hot smokey charcoal fire around 45 minutes.
Posted By: RayF Re: Pork Loin - 02/14/19
Originally Posted by super T
Go get another remote thermometer. Overcooking pork is way too common. There is no reason to do that, must have some pink color in order to be moist.

^^^^^^^^^
This! 145* is 145*. Color means NOTHING!
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Pork Loin - 02/15/19

Hell, pink is what I strive for in chops and loins. I can't stand dry, over done pork.

Mike
© 24hourcampfire