Home
Posted By: wabigoon Tripe. - 04/09/19
I finally got around to it. Breaded, chili powder spice, deep fat fried, a poor man's calamari, I guess. [Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
Did you like it?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
Not bad John, I had to move it away so did not eat too much. We have all eaten tripe, we may not have known it! It is a bit rubbery textured. Most of the taste is the seasoning, and the cooking oil.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
A few years back I worked with a guy from Thailand and he used to make a hot and spicy soup with that. Never tried it but it looked and smelled fantastic.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
I think Roger eats tripe.

Good on ya Richard for trying something new.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
A good hangover and a good bowl of Menudo (preferably made by a Mexican grandmother) are a match made in heaven.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
Loaded with tripe but no longer made. My fav soup at one time.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13136/authentic-pepper-pot-soup/

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
A good hangover and a good bowl of Menudo (preferably made by a Mexican grandmother) are a match made in heaven.

You rang?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
Tried it. Nasty. Gave it to the dog. He refused to eat it. Smart dog. Not so sure about the owner, but at least I won't do it again.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
I put that in the same category as I do chittlins........inedible.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
Tripe needs to be boiled and water changed until water is clear then cooked in tomato sauce that's where it shines
Posted By: Owl Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Tripe needs to be boiled and water changed until water is clear then cooked in tomato sauce that's where it shines

Just boil the schit out of it
I'll try to remember about changing the water.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

You rang?

[Linked Image]

I knew you'd be along. smile
While working at the packing plant, I spent some time cleaning hog stomachs. They would be inserted onto a narrow tube with holes in it through which water would be squirted. They would slide along the tube to me. I would invert them and toss them into a huge rotating drum where they would be cooked for a certain amount of time until I stopped it, dumped them, and sent them on down the line. Some would come to me with the membranes trimmed away - these were "Fancy - For Export". The connection to this is that the cow stomachs came by behind me on the beef line. The guys who cleaned them had hands that were permanently bleached white from doing so.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I finally got around to it. Breaded, chili powder spice, deep fat fried, a poor man's calamari, I guess. [Linked Image][Linked Image]

Looks yummy!
Posted By: Hubert Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
I tried Tripe once.. I about puked before I could get it out of my mouth.. the most horrid thing I ever put in my mouth..
Posted By: CWT Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
Fried tripe is good but mountain oysters are better. Menudo is excellent too if it is made right.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19

Some of the old Italians in the town where I grew up would do the last boil of ‘la tripa’ in diluted chicken broth. The sauce does make the tripe. Tripe has always been one of my favorite dishes and a big bowl with a loaf of good Italian bread, grated Locatelli and some crushed red pepper seeds is nirvana for me. Five Italian restaurants in my home town have it on the menu and I eat it at least once a month.
Why have developed a hankirn' for corn silage? laugh
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Tripe. - 04/09/19
If you start chewing cud we might call the vet.
Professional dancers say that they have come up with a low-calorie version that is wonderful. They call it "Tripe the Light Fantastic".
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Tripe. - 04/10/19
Originally Posted by Owl

Just boil the schit out of it

I put it in a large pot and boil it for about 20 min then pour out the water and rinse well then put it back in the pot add water, hominy, spices, chili etc... cook until tender.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Tripe. - 04/11/19
Pho with tripe and tendons is one of my favorites. Then again, I'm a gut eater (literally, not ethnically).
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Tripe. - 04/21/19
I was just going to post about Pho with tripe and tendons. If you order the “Special” Pho in any Vietnamese restaurant, it’s likely to have tripe and tendon. I get it every time.
© 24hourcampfire