Home
What do you folks use?
Simple green.
Thanks, I'll pick some up.
A fresh razor blade works for me. If there’s no coating. Followed by some sprayway.
409 and 0000 steelwool same with the glass on my pellets stove
The old standard has always been ashes in a sock, slightly dampened. I would not use any soaps because you would then need to clean the entire unit...
Check with wood burning stove dealers. We tried a lot of things,but finally got a product from them and it work great
I just have to wonder why manufacturers put glass doors in smokers. By the end of one good 8-14 hour smoke, you won’t be able to see it anyways.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
409 and 0000 steelwool same with the glass on my pellets stove

0000 steel wool and a little vinergar/water mix for me too.
Since there's food involved I'd use this......

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The old standard has always been ashes in a sock, slightly dampened. I would not use any soaps because you would then need to clean the entire unit...

or this....

Originally Posted by djb
0000 steel wool and a little vinegar/water mix for me too.

Originally Posted by FieldGrade

or this....

Originally Posted by djb

Because I have always cleaned wood stove door glass the old fashioned way I have not tried steel wool, but I would be afraid of scratching the glass that way.

or this....

Originally Posted by djb

Because I have always cleaned wood stove door glass the old fashioned way I have not tried steel wool, but I would be afraid of scratching the glass that way.

I was thinking about the food involved more than scratching the glass but I clean the soot off of my wood stove's window with a piece of newspaper when I build a new fire so what do I know.
I do the same Charlie. Newspaper removes a lot of soot.
Originally Posted by ironbender
I do the same Charlie. Newspaper removes a lot of soot.

A lot of people (my mom included) used to wash the windows with news paper.

or this....

Originally Posted by djb

Seen lots of videos of vehicle window cleaning using 0000 steel wool and whatever flavor of the day solvent. I wouldn't worry about the glass with fine steel wool.
When I have to clean the glass on our wood stove I use this. A little goes a long way and works great.

https://www.rutland.com/p/50/stove-grill--hearth-glass-cleaner
Originally Posted by calikooknic
I just have to wonder why manufacturers put glass doors in smokers. By the end of one good 8-14 hour smoke, you won’t be able to see it anyways.

Plus the windows waste a ton of heat compared to insulated sides and doors.

Honestly, I clean the racks, the bottom tray that runs the fat to the pan, the pan, and the very bottom. The door, sides, and top, not so much.
I've used all kinds of expensive cleaners, but the best thing I finally discovered was using full strength white vinegar and than cleaning it off with paper towels. I couldn't believe how easily the soot came off!
Ashes when dampened ooze lye which is what cleans the glass. It actually does a great job, quickly.

The inks on newsprint are soy oil based. It is the superthin layer of oil that makes the cleaned windows look so good.

Learn something new every day.
We have a wood stove with a glass door. Tried newspaper, ash, and the cleaner jdunham recommended. The cleaner works good but requires a lot of work.
This is the best stuff we have used:
MEECOS-RED-DEVIL-701

Just search on Amazon.
Don't have any smoky glass doors to test but I wonder how mineral spirits would work? Works pretty well on the stainless walls of my smoker, on accumulated tar from the smoke.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
We have a wood stove with a glass door. Tried newspaper, ash, and the cleaner jdunham recommended. The cleaner works good but requires a lot of work.
This is the best stuff we have used:
MEECOS-RED-DEVIL-701

Just search on Amazon.

It says on Amazon that the product is not for use on gas stove glass. I ordered the Rutland to see if it does a better job than the Simple Green.
Ordinary cheap white vinegar. That and a paper towel will clean the class and leave no streaking. If need clean more than once but in the end it will be clean.
Originally Posted by jdunham
When I have to clean the glass on our wood stove I use this. A little goes a long way and works great.

https://www.rutland.com/p/50/stove-grill--hearth-glass-cleaner

Got my bottle of Rutland today and this stuff works great. Problem solved.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
© 24hourcampfire