Home
Posted By: FieldGrade Boiled Eggs - 06/13/19
I ran across a blurb on a food forum that said laying the eggs on their side for a day or two before boiling would center the yolks so I gave it a try recently.
Damned if if it doesn't work......or at least is did on the half dozen or so pickled eggs that I've had from my last batch.

It doesn't matter much for pickled eggs or egg salad but I can see where it might be helpful when making deviled eggs.

Anybody else do this?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/13/19
Yup on the side thing for awhile, like a few decades.

The leaving them on the counter for a few days was new, learning about it a few weeks ago here.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/13/19
Originally Posted by FatCity67

The leaving them on the counter for a few days was new, learning about it a few weeks ago here.

Sounds like we should have talked a couple of decades ago because that's about how long I've been leaving them out for three or four days but this is new to me.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/13/19
Haven’t don’t the side deal Charlie, but it makes sense.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/13/19
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Sounds like we should have talked a couple of decades ago because that's about how long I've been leaving them out for three or four days but this is new to me.

Irish Grandmother did the side thing since I was a kid in the 70's. She made killer deviled eggs with ham. I spent alot of time in the kitchens of my Grandmothers when not bothering my Grandfathers in their garage/workshops.

Lots of these tips and tricks for everything not just cooking I run across now that are new to might also only be due to the fact that Im forgetting alot of stuff and rediscovering it again. Also 1990 to 2016 was balls to the wall in my life and Im sure lots of schitt got over written on the old Ram Memory.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/14/19
Now that we have the yolk thing figured out, what needs to be done for a perfect peel. What really works?

My darling want's to know.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/14/19
Salt in the water and cool immediately with cold water.....or steam them instead of boiling
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/14/19
Steam really works. About 14 minutes, them out and put in ice water. The yolks stay bright yellow instead of that dull greenish color.
Posted By: deflave Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/14/19
Originally Posted by Gibby
Now that we have the yolk thing figured out, what needs to be done for a perfect peel. What really works?

That’s why they leave them out of the fridge.
Posted By: deflave Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/14/19
One day minimum. Two is better. Three is optimal.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/14/19
I'll tell her.
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/14/19
Pressure cooking eggs has made the most dramatic difference in ease of peeling for me.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/15/19
Update........the yolk was not centered in the pickled egg I had with my lunch today.

It was number eight of twelve.......four to go.....we'll see.
Posted By: waterrat Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/15/19
Originally Posted by Gibby

Leave the eggs on the counter for a week,, and then hardboil with other precautions
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/15/19
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Steam really works. About 14 minutes, them out and put in ice water. The yolks stay bright yellow instead of that dull greenish color.

How the hell do you steam them ???
Posted By: ironbender Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/15/19
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Put them in a pot ABOVE the boiling water. A metal colander in a spag pot would work. Use a lid.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/15/19
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Put them in a pot ABOVE the boiling water. A metal colander in a spag pot would work. Use a lid.

Thanks. I’ll give it a try.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/15/19
4 days on the counter at room temp. Boil / steam then plunge into ice water bath till cooled..

Never failed for me.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/20/19
Steaming is the only way to go for hard boiled eggs.
Posted By: sse Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/20/19
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Boiled Eggs - 06/20/19
Originally Posted by jdunham
Steaming is the only way to go for hard boiled eggs.

Always worked for me. Inverted ceramic soup bowl with eggs placed atop in my Presto pressure cooker with the weight off is the ticket but it's been awhile so I have forgotten the cook time to steam.

Bought 3 doz. eggs yesterday for tuna fish and picked eggs. Will report back in a few days or so.

Cheers.
© 24hourcampfire