Home
Posted By: wabigoon Leeks? - 06/15/19
The near onion. I plan on buying one while I can. How do you good folks use leeks?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Leeks? - 06/15/19
My wife makes a killer leek soup. One of my favorites.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Leeks? - 06/16/19
I love them. Split and grilled or chopped and added to whatever you might put onion in.

Goes great in clam chowder!
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Leeks? - 06/16/19
Dauphinoise potatoes
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Leeks? - 06/17/19
Potato, bacon & leek chowder !

Good day for it Richard !
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Leeks? - 06/17/19
Sauté in butter or olive oil.

Add a small amount of cream or milk and reduce.

This is now a base for whatever and wherever your creativity takes you.

Add ham or bacon or shrimp or any white fleshed fish or tomatoes.

Serve over rice or potatoes.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Leeks? - 06/17/19
Originally Posted by BlackHunter
Sauté in butter or olive oil.

Add a small amount of cream or milk and reduce.

This is now a base for whatever and wherever your creativity takes you.

Add ham or bacon or shrimp or any white fleshed fish or tomatoes.

Serve over rice or potatoes.

Good suggestions!

I will look for a leek today.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Leeks? - 06/17/19
I like them as a base for soup. I cook down leaks, carrots, celery, sweet pepper, a potato, and fresh thyme in a butter base or bacon grease. I add chicken broth and shrimp and crab meat then puree. I add some sour cream, and finish. Pretty crazy soup, and easy to make.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Leeks? - 06/17/19
Cut the tips and most of the green stem off, spray them with a little oil and salt and pepper, then roast them at 500 degrees until soft. Great eating.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Leeks? - 06/19/19
Be sure to spin your leek first!

Shaman or someone mentioned they had this for a ring tone. Had to look it up and now the silly little tune pops into my head whenever leeks come up. Just passing it on. smirk

Actually it's a spoof on a traditional Finnish song. Wiki

Posted By: Sauer200 Re: Leeks? - 06/19/19
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Leeks? - 06/19/19
I cut off the bottom and most of the top. Split down the middle and rinse out dirt and sand. Cut into about 1/4"sections. Cook with some chopped garlic in olive oil until tender. Fill pot with a mix of chicken broth and water. Add potatoes (small dice). Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are soft. Take out some of the potatoes and mash them up, then return them to the pot to thicken things up. Add some smallish chunks of good (coarse) ring bologna to heat. At the end, pour in some 1/2 and 1/2 and sprinkle on some small bits of chive.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Leeks? - 06/19/19
Yes, I've heard leeks pick up sand/dirt as they grow. Or are they hilled as they grow? Never had leeks, sound awesome. Anything onion or garlic, think it's genetic.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Leeks? - 06/19/19
“Your Majesty says very true. If your Majesties is remembered of it, the Welshmen did good service in a garden where leeks did grow, wearing leeks in their Monmouth caps, which, your Majesty know, to this hour is an honorable badge of the service. And I do believe your Majesty takes no scorn to wear the leek upon Saint Tavy’s day.”

Henry V ;
Act IV scene VII.

WS
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Leeks? - 06/19/19
Just as well you clarified 'Woody, else I'd be thinking Black Adder !
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Leeks? - 06/19/19
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: EdM Re: Leeks? - 06/21/19
My wife does potato leak soup. I prefer then sauteed in OO with salt and pepper. Lived off of the latter when working/living in Kazakhstan.
© 24hourcampfire