Posted By: Spotshooter Favorite ice cream brand - 07/17/19

I think people fall into 2 groups.

1). Don’t care - I buy in volume....

2). I REALLY LIKE BRAND X
Posted By: GregW Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/17/19
I'm in both....
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/17/19
Platos Cave
I very seldom eat ice cream......maybe once every 2-3 years.....but from my limited experience Tillamok's pretty good.
Baskin Robbins
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/17/19
For a box ice cream my pick is Blue Bunny.

Out on the road there's a shack along Rt. 6 in the mountains of eastern Pa. with 43 flavors. Not a chain.
Hardly eat it but nice to be able to find a UFO sandwich on occasion.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/17/19
On the way back from our camp in WV we'll stop by this place.

https://southmountaincreamery.com/visit-us/

Pretty darn good and about the only time I eat ice cream.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19

sumthing with a sealed lid........
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19

Red Button from Utah is good...........

but I try to watch my fat intact..........
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19

I don't really have a favorite brand, but I do have definite likes and dislikes when it comes to ice cream. Most importantly, I want it to be capable of being frozen HARD. It seems that many of the self-proclaimed "premium" brands never will actually harden in the freezer. It seems to me that it may have something to do with their "richness". When I was young and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, we were able to purchase "ice milk", which I really liked. I am not a fan of most exotic concoctions, preferring chocolate, strawberry, and sometimes plain old vanilla. I do like spumoni and neopolitan.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19
Originally Posted by tikkanut

but I try to watch my fat intact..........

miine's intact now and for the foreseeable future. Probably much longer.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19
About the only flavor of Baskin Robbins I really like is pralines n cream.
Snickers ice cream bars are awesome.
Graeter's from Cincinnati is pretty good. They have a seasonal pumpkin flavor that is delicious.
Mayfield from Tennessee makes a really good orange sherbert.
Unless it has changed recently, Alaskans have the highest per capita ice cream consumption in the country.

Hot Licks in Fbks is wonderful.
Posted By: bucktail Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19
Cold Stone is pretty good as far as chains go. If I'm buying a bucket I usually go store brand. For sandwiches I like the ones with the chocolate chip cookies.
Originally Posted by auk1124
About the only flavor of Baskin Robbins I really like is pralines n cream.
Snickers ice cream bars are awesome.
Graeter's from Cincinnati is pretty good. They have a seasonal pumpkin flavor that is delicious.
Mayfield from Tennessee makes a really good orange sherbert.

Yep. Pralines & Cream Peanut Butter Fudge are my favorites there. You can buy it in the grocery stores here now.

LOVE those Snickers ice cream bars !!!
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19
Originally Posted by bucktail
Cold Stone is pretty good as far as chains go. If I'm buying a bucket I usually go store brand. For sandwiches I like the ones with the chocolate chip cookies.

+1

Not picky about 1/2 gal size, whatever looks good or on sale, but I rarely eat ice cream
Posted By: EdM Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19
Though I very rarely eat it Tillamook.
Originally Posted by EdM

Yes sir....hands down.

Their cheese is tops too.
Although I will say that the Food Club Dixie cups are pretty good.

They dont send the wooden spoons anymore though.
Posted By: EdM Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by EdM

Yes sir....hands down.

Their cheese is tops too.

Yep on the cheese, extra sharp cheddar. Trying to drop pounds so not eating any cheese...
I am laying off the booze so I can have some cheese!
Posted By: kingston Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19
Tillamook

https://www.tillamook.com/ice-cream.html
I'm gonna go have a bowl of old fashioned vanilla with maple syrup on top.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19
Out here, Tillamook. Back east, Mayfield.

Lots of good stuff though.

Ironbender ain't schitting. On commercial fishing boats Im pretty sure ice cream is better than cash. The stuff was like gold.
Originally Posted by kingston

I have some of that syrup from DannyL yet......never tried it on ice cream.

Vanilla ice cream and Amish Wedding peaches is good.....with a hot chocolate chip cookie on the bottom.

It’ll ruin you!
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Out here, Tillamook. Back east, Mayfield.

Lots of good stuff though.

Ironbender ain't schitting. On commercial fishing boats Im pretty sure ice cream is better than cash. The stuff was like gold.

I’ve got to look up this Mayfield.
Posted By: 79S Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19

Vanilla ice cream and Amish Wedding peaches is good.....with a hot chocolate chip cookie on the bottom.

Uh I don't think beer is your problem little buddy..
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19
For the Record the best Baskin Robbins Flavor is Baseballnut.

As a kid Crystal Creamery here in NorCal was the Tillmook of today.

Ed is most likely familiar with Crystal.
Blue Bell. Also, HEB's store brand 1906 Vanilla is darn hard to beat as well. When in the Tennessee area, Mayfield is also good stuff.Tillamook is good. I refuse to even think about eating Ben & Jerry's.
Really only a couple of the cheapest store brands I don't like.

But, in this area, it's Ritchies Dairy.
Local farms, small family run diary,
available in stores, and their store/ice cream stand,
It's an institution.

On a much bigger scale, Turkey Hill.
From Eastern Pa, they are the Ritchies that blew up.
In many stores, a bunch of branded C-stores.
Fantastic ice cream.
For soft serve, the Dairy Creme Corner in Fairmont, WV can't be beat. Tons of flavors, absolutely monster cones, and their funnel cake sundae is to die for. Totally worth the hour drive down I-79 from Morgantown, imo.

Best soft serve I've ever had, and best roadside ice cream stand I've ever stopped at.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19
lately, I've been hooked on Kroger's Southern Butter Pecan ice cream. I need to quit buying it, because I can't quit eating it. Lot's of good store brands, and also lot's of cheap stuff too. I also buy Purity, Blue Bell, and even the Walmart brand.

There's a little ice cream shop down the road from me that has some very good stuff, also Chaney's Dairy Barn in Bowling Green KY is good too.
I have not bought icecream for the house in over years. Just no will power. I'll eat some from time to time if out and about, but not often. I love the stuff, can't control myself.
Blue bell, especially those packs of cups of the vanilla and dutch chocolate and the old time type square boxes of mayfield like fudge swirl are THE only ones that will stay hard in the freeze....all the others are too soft serve like from the freeze.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19
I've been into Klondike Bars lately, especially the Heath Bar version. And nobody's licking thru their wrappers.
The next step in addiction is gelato. Can't tell you how it is differenter from ice cream except that it is richer and Even more addictive.

This one here is the very best "ice cream" anywhere in the world, ever.

[Linked Image]

More flavors here:
https://www.talentigelato.com/product-category/talenti-gelato-flavors
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/18/19
Pounded these as a kid in the 70's when you could only get them in the San Francisco Bay Area before it went freakzoid.

[Linked Image]
Shaved ice off a cart in Atlantic City, Brooklyn or Philly.

Choice of flavors is endless.

For you pikers that have not experienced this neighborhood treat, get on a plane NOW !
Originally Posted by MikeL2
I've been into Klondike Bars lately, especially the Heath Bar version. And nobody's licking thru their wrappers.

Oh my !!! Love the darn things but they melt instantly. Wear a bib. laugh
For soft serve, the Dairy Creme Corner in Fairmont, WV can't be beat. Tons of flavors, absolutely monster cones, and their funnel cake sundae is to die for. Totally worth the hour drive down I-79 from Morgantown, imo.

Best soft serve I've ever had, and best roadside ice cream stand I've ever stopped at.

Right up the road from me but never been there frown However I've been to the Poky Dot nearby.

Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Right up the road from me but never been there frown However I've been to the Poky Dot nearby.

West Va has a very underrated food scene imo, especially for comfort food. Great chili dogs, killer ice cream joints, good Italian restaurants, pepperoni rolls...

I don't know how all of you don't weigh 500 pounds...

Chili dogs for sure but they aren't that great IMHO. Gotta go to Pa for them.

I live back in the hills and a 2 hour drive to get good eats just isn't my preference and just about all the other transplants feel the same.

Will venture to Morgantown soon to check out a couple of Asian & Mex Joints that have good reviews

Throw some recommendations at me, please !!!!
Tillamook Old Fashioned Vanilla and medium amber maple syrup is so good, I’ve actually contemplated just saying fugkit. I’ll dig my way to happiness with a spoon, get one of them Little Rascal scooters and surrender to the sweat pant life.

I live back in the hills and a 2 hour drive to get good eats just isn't my preference and just about all the other transplants feel the same.

Will venture to Morgantown so to check out a couple of Asian & Mex Joints that have good reviews

For Italian, Muriales in Fairmont, and Oliverios in Morgantown will get the job done. For hot dogs, we thought Hillbilly hot dogs was kinda gross, but the chili dog joints in Point Pleasant and across the river in Gallipolis OH are good. Gallipolis also has a very good Italian / steak joint, Tuscany. The Italian is good at Tuscany, but the steaks are better. Pepperoni rolls are all over Morgantown, if chili dogs aren't your jam.

We have taken vacations in WV several times, and I gain 10 pounds as soon as I cross the state line.
surrender to the sweat pant life.

Already there.

Damn things can't make up their minds if they wanna stay up or head south

Bought me some red suspenders !!!

Will venture to Morgantown so to check out a couple of Asian & Mex Joints that have good reviews

For Italian, Muriales in Fairmont, and Oliverios in Morgantown will get the job done. .

Italian heritage in WV for sure and both mentioned above are the best here but really aren't that good. Worth an honorable mention at best. Seems like they have slid downhill over the years. I can be at Muriales in 90 minutes.

Thinkin',........
Originally Posted by 79S

Uh I don't think beer is your problem little buddy..

Haha!

Its only every couple years I do that.
Culvers - its custard but fuggit, I like it
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/19/19
Down here close to Oklahoma, Braum’s is hard to beat. Particularly Chocolate Toffee, peppermint, mint chocolate chip, pecans pralines & cream. Oh hell. I like it all.

Blue Bell is good. Married to a Texan, so that’s her choice. Cookie dough two step or done such is my favorite of theirs.

Last night I had huckleberry ice cream on the campus of Utah State University, made in house from their dairy cows. I’ll be going back multiple times in the next 6 months when I’m there for work.

I basically like all ice cream.
Posted By: EdM Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/19/19
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Pounded these as a kid in the 70's when you could only get them in the San Francisco Bay Area before it went freakzoid.

[Linked Image]

Yep. Used to head to a place in Berkeley that made good stuff, Bott's?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/19/19
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Pounded these as a kid in the 70's when you could only get them in the San Francisco Bay Area before it went [Linked Image]

Yep. Used to head to a place in Berkeley that made good stuff, Bott's?

Maybe but I never went there. We lived in Napa and Santa Rosa when I was a kid. Although spent lots of time in SF, Oakland, San Jose on the weekends and holidays. For me the big treat was going to Fentons Creamery in Oakland. I got to take my kids there during the 1990's before it burned down and was rebuilt.

Seemed like there was independent creameries everywhere back then making their own ice cream.
Posted By: tikka77 Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/20/19
i am #1 when i have money and #2 when i am broke.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/20/19
http://roselani.com/

Haupia (Coconut) is my favorite when we're in Hawaii
Posted By: Scotty Re: Favorite ice cream brand - 07/21/19
Braums Ice Cream is good.
© 24hourcampfire